Protien and Constipation

I weigh 118lbs (5’3 female) and know i should take in 118g or protien…But i find that when i eat that much protein I start to get dry stools and contsipated even though I’m eating fruits and veggies. How can i get my recommended amount of protein without getting constipated and not overloading my calories.

Everybody is different. What causes “stoppages” in some don’t cause them in others. Fruits and veggies work for me as does dairy (milk and yogurt).

As to your calories, not knowing what your goals and training are like that’s a little difficult to advise about.

More fiber…put some fiber in your shake or drink a glass of metemucil before bed.

I take it that you’re not eating oats etc for some reason, and couldn’t chock down any more vegetables if you tried. Metamucil is great, but even the natural Metamucil contains sucrose, not good for someone who is trying to watch carbohydrate intake or has some insulin sensitivity issues.

Just go out and get the main ingredient to the product, psyllium husk. 10g serve contains 8g of fibre and has no taste. Add it to protein shakes or whatever you like. Make sure you are taking in enough water also.

[quote]Addiction wrote:
I take it that you’re not eating oats etc for some reason, and couldn’t chock down any more vegetables if you tried. Metamucil is great, but even the natural Metamucil contains sucrose, not good for someone who is trying to watch carbohydrate intake or has some insulin sensitivity issues.

Just go out and get the main ingredient to the product, psyllium husk. 10g serve contains 8g of fibre and has no taste. Add it to protein shakes or whatever you like. Make sure you are taking in enough water also. [/quote]

I second the suggestion of making sure that your water intake is adequate. You will need even more than you are used to if you are increasing your protein intake.

Sugar Free Orange Metamucil!

Benefiber

I take Fiber Choice, which I buy at my local drugstore (CVS). It was recommended on the VDiet, which was when I started taking it.
They are chewable tablets that are various fruit flavors. You can also get them with other goodies in them (multi-vitamin, calcium, etc.). Each one has 2 grams of fiber.

I take 2-3 a day and am fine, but it says you can take up to 6 per day (or rather, it says not to exceed 6 per day).

try keeping track of how much fiber you’re getting for a few days. You should be getting up near 25 grams in order to ensure that you’ll be regular in the bathroom-department.

Also, taking a probiotic (or eating yogurt) really helps keep things regular for me…

dan

thanks
i think the benifiber works well. Also I think my body just had to get used to the increase in protien. I’m fine now