Protesting Virginia Tech Funerals

The Westboro Baptist Church group is at it again:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1818520/posts

Would someone please step on these cockroaches?

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Westboro Baptist Church group is at it again:

Would someone please step on these cockroaches?[/quote]

The BBC did a program about this lot recently - I wasn’t sure if it was real or not at first, it seemed so unbelievable that people could be so warped. It’s absolutely despicable and disrespectful. Will they actually get away with the protests or is there any way they can be stopped?

[quote]g’em wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Westboro Baptist Church group is at it again:

Would someone please step on these cockroaches?

The BBC did a program about this lot recently - I wasn’t sure if it was real or not at first, it seemed so unbelievable that people could be so warped. It’s absolutely despicable and disrespectful. Will they actually get away with the protests or is there any way they can be stopped?[/quote]

I think the 1st amendment is compatible with a cordon sanitaire so thay can say what they want, but be kept at a (long) distance. As an aside Mr Phelps has decided that “God hates Sweden”. Must be the weather…

TQB

The Patriot Guard is a group that is working with the families of fallen servicemembers to prevent Phelps and crew from disrupting funerals.

I don’t know if they are planning on getting involved with this or not…

Here is the link to the Patriot Guard:

www.patriotguard.org

LA

That’s disgusting, but frankly, I hope the protest goes ahead - and gets plenty of media attention as well. America should see this group of fuckholes for the attention whores that they are and then forget about them altogether.

I only wish all “religious” extremists were as inconsequential and impotent as Phelps and company.

[quote]g’em wrote:
Will they actually get away with the protests or is there any way they can be stopped?[/quote]

Sadly, having to put up with nutjobs like Fred Phelps and his followers is the price we pay for living in a free society.

[quote]g’em wrote:
The BBC did a program about this lot recently - I wasn’t sure if it was real or not at first, it seemed so unbelievable that people could be so warped. It’s absolutely despicable and disrespectful. Will they actually get away with the protests or is there any way they can be stopped?[/quote]

Here is the page with all three parts of that program:

I can see why it would seem unbelievable to you at first.

The fact that they go about condemning people like Archbishop Desomnd Tutu and Princess Diana just seems so out of left field and incongruous that its hard to understand what the hell they actually believe in. It’s not so much right wing as it is mental wing.

The worst part of the documentary is when one of their kids gets drink thrown at him from a passing vehicle. When questioned none of the kids understood the signs they were holding up yet they will doubtless continue to be indoctrinated through fear of ‘none believers’ attacking them. The level of manipulation that Phelps manages to display is truly shocking.

Help me out here guys…

He states that the Virginia Tech shootings were a result of our Military Shooting the “Servants of God”…

Who does he consider the “Servants of God?”

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Help me out here guys…

He states that the Virginia Tech shootings were a result of our Military Shooting the “Servants of God”…

Mufasa[/quote]

I’d assume that by that he means Muslims, they are more strongly anti-gay than most Christians in the USA (as far as Phelps is concerned anyway). They are not ‘fag enablers’ therefore they are ‘servants of god’.

I feel a little dirty for having tried to follow a Westboro line of logic.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Help me out here guys…

Mufasa[/quote]

Himself. From what I got (I clicked on the link to know more) this Fred Phelps and his church, Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) are preaching to the nation of perverts that America is, but America doesn’t listen, hence the Godly retribution of the Virginia shooting.

Sad to think there was a shooting and it occured in the wrong place. That kind of thinking shows such crass stupidity I can’t believe it comes from a human being.

[quote]jarvis wrote:

Here is the page with all three parts of that program:

I can see why it would seem unbelievable to you at first.

The fact that they go about condemning people like Archbishop Desomnd Tutu and Princess Diana just seems so out of left field and incongruous that its hard to understand what the hell they actually believe in. It’s not so much right wing as it is mental wing.

The worst part of the documentary is when one of their kids gets drink thrown at him from a passing vehicle. When questioned none of the kids understood the signs they were holding up yet they will doubtless continue to be indoctrinated through fear of ‘none believers’ attacking them. The level of manipulation that Phelps manages to display is truly shocking.

[/quote]

ah, thanks for the link. I like watching Louis Theroux and before I saw it I had no idea what the program was about. I genuinely thought it was a complete piss-take when I saw it first - condemning Princess Diana for being a “fag-lover”???

But like you said it was the kids’ that struck me most - the younger ones had no idea what they were protesting about and were simply behaving as their mother (she doesn’t deserve the positive associations that term normally has) taught them to, holding “God hates Fags” signs without any clue as to what it meant. I actually found it quite upsetting to watch at points.

From their site:

“You might think you can pass laws that stop us from preaching at the funerals of your Godless brats, but it isn’t going to happen. The Messengers of God do not stop preaching the truth just because you pass laws. Here’s a little secret. Kansas has had a funeral picketing law for years, and we still picket funerals in Kansas!!! Dying time is truth time! DEAL WITH IT!!!”

http://www.godhatesamerica.com/index.html

More from their site:

"The Amish children from Pennsylvania are even now in hell. Stop spreading the lie that they were innocent. They were just as degenerate and deserving of hell as the pervert who killed them. You get what you deserve, America!

You raised these murderous beasts and perverted their minds, and now you act surprised? As long as you people try to stop us, you will be punished, just as Pharaoh was punished when he would not let God’s people go (Ex. 12:30). Gov. Ed Rendell brought this down on you, get mad at him, not us!"

Alright, I’m done, I can’t read anymore of that jerk’s site.

Sigh, while on some level I loathe the WBC on another level I feel sorry for them. Worse I feel sorry for their children, I hope against hopes that these kids will one day rebel and realize “holy crap mom and dad are crazy!”

This just makes me so mad. I can’t believe there are people like this alive, but wishing them anything bad would be lowering yourself to their level.

The best thing that could happen, as previously stated, is that these people are just forgotten about, can’t find any more followers, and finally disappear.

I’ve ridden with the Patriot Guard Riders and have seen these WBC people up close. There are no words to describe them. I truly don’t understand why they aren’t considered a “Hate Group” and their speech legally considered as attempting to encite a riot or provoke violence. Free speech DOES have limits.

There are limits to free speech, legally anyway, that prevent people from inciting a panic.
Unfortunately, I doubt that the Phelps people are considered attempting to incite a panic or a riot, as all they do is peacefully picket and yell things. What they do is, technically, no worse than a standing in a crowd of anti-war protesters with a pro-war sign, or standing outside a vegetarian restaurant with anti-vegetarian signs.

They’re covered by the Constitution, right to free speech, expression of religion, and peaceably assemble. The government can not stop them.

Personally, I feel that it is right for the government to allow them to protest. Its the price to be paid for living in a free country.
Of course, I also think its right that private citizens should be allowed to forcibly remove them when obviously incited. They’re cowards hiding behind the government to protect their hate.

-Gen (I’d die to make sure they could say what they say, but I’d just as sure beat the hell out of them after they’d said it) to the Dou

They won’t be able to pull this off if they get near campus. Too many grieving college students could quickly turn into a mob of pissed off college students.

I am a christian and I attend church.

I am ashamed these people call themselves christians and have a church.

I do not judge others and would never spread the evil and hate these people advocate. All the churches I am attended would never condone this type of behavior

Ultimate (and totally ironic) ending to all this; gay man, trained in sniper tactics and warfare puts a round behind Phelp’s ear.

I’d cheer out loud with a smile on my face.

Sorry if that seems a bit non-PC.