T Nation

Proteolytic Enzymes for ROM After Elbow Surgery

A client of mine had surgery for a transcondilian elbow fracture. Of course, her ROM was ~0 after surgery, much better after initial hospital rehab. After more work she can ~fully extend her elbow (at least under load), but still doesn’t even approach full flexion, not even with ~40 lbs of pressure.
Under anaesthesia, just after the final surgery, her elbow could fully flex and extend, so it’s (/was) not the bone limiting the ROM.

Presuming it’s due to scar tissue, would (oral) proteolytic enzymes or serrapeptase be of any use?
Prolotherapy?
Or, do you have any other suggestions?
Asking here because the docs don’t have any other suggestions.

Big thanks, Eisen

Someone, please?

[quote]Sterneneisen wrote:
A client of mine had surgery for a transcondilian elbow fracture. Of course, her ROM was ~0 after surgery, much better after initial hospital rehab. After more work she can ~fully extend her elbow (at least under load), but still doesn’t even approach full flexion, not even with ~40 lbs of pressure.
Under anaesthesia, just after the final surgery, her elbow could fully flex and extend, so it’s (/was) not the bone limiting the ROM.

Presuming it’s due to scar tissue, would (oral) proteolytic enzymes or serrapeptase be of any use?
Prolotherapy?
Or, do you have any other suggestions?
Asking here because the docs don’t have any other suggestions.

Big thanks, Eisen[/quote]

No, oral enzymes wouldnt do anything (they simply get digested)

i never heard of ‘Prolotherapy’ before so i googled it, seems like esoteric/pseudo-scientific nonsense to me

after a transcondylar fracture, loss of ROM is to be expected

[quote]Petrichor wrote:
i never heard of ‘Prolotherapy’ before so i googled it, seems like esoteric/pseudo-scientific nonsense to me
[/quote]

there’s actually quite a lot of people who swear it’s worked for them. I wouldn’t dismiss it just yet.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]Petrichor wrote:
i never heard of ‘Prolotherapy’ before so i googled it, seems like esoteric/pseudo-scientific nonsense to me
[/quote]

there’s actually quite a lot of people who swear it’s worked for them. I wouldn’t dismiss it just yet.[/quote]

yea, i don’t know anything about it except what on wikipedia

[quote]Petrichor wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]Petrichor wrote:
i never heard of ‘Prolotherapy’ before so i googled it, seems like esoteric/pseudo-scientific nonsense to me
[/quote]

there’s actually quite a lot of people who swear it’s worked for them. I wouldn’t dismiss it just yet.[/quote]

yea, i don’t know anything about it except what on wikipedia[/quote]

me neither particularly, all the evidence I’ve seen has been anecdotal. Seen some posts on other forums with people singing its praises though, and I think there was a thread here not so long ago where someone used it to treat their elbow with success. Makes me think there might be something to it.

I’m sure as hell not in a rush to try it though!

I’d suggest this:

High dose fish oil
High dose curcumin
2g of taurine per day

And grab the Poliquin product Joint Task Force (or Metagenics Acute Phase)

Had an athlete who underwent surgery to his acl, mcl, and meniscus. He was walking 2 days after his surgery with only minor swelling.