T Nation

Protein?

Is it beneficial to drink a weak watered down protien shake all day at work vs. water or a gatorade? Like say a scoop of Grow! in 24 ounces of water.

I believe the extra 20 grams of protien are always beneficial. Will it effect any catobolic or anabolic effects? any other thoughts?

Vegita ~ Prince of all Sayajins

I’m not sure I understand your question. Do you mean as a meal replacement? If so, you might want add some EFAs to A Low Carb Grow! shake like almonds.

Why do you want it watered down? Do you prefer the taste of the protein watered down or do you have a theory behind it? The thicker the shake the slower it will be digested…which sounds beneficial in your case since your stuck at work.

A protein shake alone w/ water is better than gatorade or just starving. Just my thoughts.

I just meant something to sip on throughout the day. I would still be drinking my shakes and eating meals on a normal timeline like every 3 hours. Just wondering if instead of drinking water all day long a little protien in it would do any good?

Vegita ~ Prince of all Sayajins

Remember that excess protein can be converted to fat by the body so in essence, your attempt to intake more protein for the purpose of mucle growth could instead lead to belly growth…:slight_smile:

Honestly, if you daily diet is intact then you don’t have take in more protein. BTW, Water is essential throughout the day…IMO, water is the better choice over Gatorade…besides why do you want the high glycemic carbs that come along w/ gatorade if not for PWO? Stick to water and you’ll be cool.

In your case I’d stick to water or some low calorie drink (i.e., Crystal Light). Having a frequent pulses of amino acids (protein) is more important than maintaining a constant level of aminos in the blood.

In one study a group of people were infused (through an IV) with amino acids at a steady rate for several hours. Of course, there was initially a rise in protein synthesis. However, after some time the amount of protein synthesis dropped off even though blood amino acid concentration remained the same. It appears as though the CHANGE in concentration is more important than the total concentration.

Hope that makes sense.

[quote]Kinetix wrote:
In your case I’d stick to water or some low calorie drink (i.e., Crystal Light). Having a frequent pulses of amino acids (protein) is more important than maintaining a constant level of aminos in the blood.

In one study a group of people were infused (through an IV) with amino acids at a steady rate for several hours. Of course, there was initially a rise in protein synthesis. However, after some time the amount of protein synthesis dropped off even though blood amino acid concentration remained the same. It appears as though the CHANGE in concentration is more important than the total concentration.

Hope that makes sense.[/quote]

JB has addressed this issue in one of his articles…either Post-workout puzzle or Bedtime Nutrition. Basically, it’s along the lines of what Kinetix said. Every few hours you want to take some fast-absorbing (relatively) protein to increase protein-synthesis.

Gary