T Nation

Protein to Cook and Freeze

I’m looking for some sources of lean protein that I can cook in batches and freeze (like chicken strips), so I can just take what I need, throw it on salads, and leave for the day. Ideally, I’d like to spice it somehow, then bake it or something, slice it, and freeze it.

I’m looking for lean protein because I’m a short, small-framed female trying to break 115 lbs, so don’t need the volume of fat in my diet that a 300-lb bodybuilder would.

I’m low on ideas for spicing/flavoring (grew up with fatty sauces) - any good recipes? I will read any articles you send my way, or cookbooks, or spice recommendations.

I also don’t know what cuts of meat to buy, so I’m really at a loss. I googled lean meats and came up with (http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/clinical/pyramid/meats.htm). I also found a great website that provides organic, grass-fed, free range stuff (http://www.blackwing.com/) but I’m not sure which cuts to buy for lean sources - so what is below is guesses based on the umich site. I’m really confused as to why lunch meats are fattier than cuts of meat.

Here’s what I’ve come up with so far:

• Organic free-range Chicken breast
  • Turkey breast (I’ve always loved it with gravy or mayo, so I really need ideas here)
  • Salmon filet
  • Ostrich (I assume any cut is fine?)
  • Bison (I assume any cut is fine?)
  • Organic, Free Range Beef (flank steak, sirloin tip, eye of round, top round, tenderloin, top loin, rump roast?)
  • Venison (I assume any cut is fine?)
  • Elk (I assume any cut is fine?)
  • Pork (centerloin or tenderloin?)

If any of these things are disgusting, please let me know - I tried ground lamb and it was awful - not sure if I want to give it another shot.

Anyway, I really appreciate any guidance or suggestions you may have on flavoring, cuts, etc.

Thanks!

I eat a lot of salads with lean meat or low fat cheese for protein. You seem to have it all pretty much figured out :slight_smile:

I usually just don’t go for any sauce with the meat, but cook it with some garlic salt, pepper, and whatever spices spring to mind at the time. The other day I used some lemon juice and curry with chicken breasts, pretty good IMO.

I however make a salad dressing usually, a couple of tsp olive oil, some balsamico, black pepper. You can also mix the olive oil and balsamico with low fat yoghurt. I’ve also played around with using a bit of sesame seed oil, and pumpkin seed oil to change the taste of my salad dressings.

I’ve been eating 4-6 meals like this per day for the last two weeks or so, and the progress has been excellent, weight stays the same, and 4cm off my waist =)

The only comments I can give you are that ground lamb sounds just awful – where I come from we eat a lot of lamb, but never would we grind it! And that if you’re worried about fat, pork can’t be such a good option, can it? But I’m not an expert on which meats are the healthiest – I’m a 200lb male, and fatty meat has never done me anything but good =)

I make my lunches for the week by Sunday night. Tyson’s chicken breast strips that come frozen raw (they usually sell for under 10 bucks at Sam’s for a package) are cooked in olive oil, seasoned and then vacuum sealed for the rest of the week.

Venison.

It is a very good red meat and very lean.

Burgers are great, but be carefull with cuts. They can be tough depending on the age of the deer and if you over cook it, it will be ruined.

I like to brush it with butter and garlic as I cook it, or saute in butter and e.v.o., or stir fry, or just as meat snacks…

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I make my lunches for the week by Sunday night. Tyson’s chicken breast strips that come frozen raw (they usually sell for under 10 bucks at Sam’s for a package) are cooked in olive oil, seasoned and then vacuum sealed for the rest of the week.[/quote]

Out of curiosity, what do you use to vacuum seal your meat? All I’ve got right now is a few tiny tupperware bins.

-Gendou

[quote]gendou57 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I make my lunches for the week by Sunday night. Tyson’s chicken breast strips that come frozen raw (they usually sell for under 10 bucks at Sam’s for a package) are cooked in olive oil, seasoned and then vacuum sealed for the rest of the week.

Out of curiosity, what do you use to vacuum seal your meat? All I’ve got right now is a few tiny tupperware bins.

-Gendou[/quote]

The Vacuum sealer I have also sells plastic containers with attachments on top for the connector to the sealer. Those Skillet Meals in the frozen food aisle have less than 4-500cals per serving. Adding the equivalent of two chicken breasts to that equals one meal for me sealed in those containers. I would only do this when dropping weight. It is the only time I watch my calories that closely.

I would prefer to not eat Tyson’s - I’ve seen too much of the meat industry. I would also like to get fresh meat and then freeze it. But the rest sounds good. I think I might just be a lousy cook when it comes to seasoning.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I make my lunches for the week by Sunday night. Tyson’s chicken breast strips that come frozen raw (they usually sell for under 10 bucks at Sam’s for a package) are cooked in olive oil, seasoned and then vacuum sealed for the rest of the week.[/quote]

A cutting meal is 640 calories for you?

I need to go eat more…

-Gendou

[quote]gendou57 wrote:
A cutting meal is 640 calories for you?

I need to go eat more…

-Gendou[/quote]

That is ONE of them. If that leads to 3 inches off my waist in two months with no loss in strength, obviously I’m doing something right.

From the package, the calories for one serving of those Stouffer’s Skillet meals is 360 calories.

Hi CLewis!

Have you seen Chef Lisa’s thread in the Figure Competitors forum?

She’s got a lot of great recipes and she said she is open for questions.

You might want to give her a try!

I think I saw BGB mentioning scallops as a low fat, high protein source.