T Nation

Protein That Won't Make Me Sick?

Cue that Huey Lewis and the News song…

Anyway, I have tried taking protein powder a couple times in the past, but it always seems to make me sick to my stomach, even if I’m just one scoopin. I don’t remember the stuff I tried the first time, but several months back I ran in and grabbed some of that stuff from Complete Nutrition cuz they have a store nearby. Anyway, both of those made me ill. This is extremely unusual for me btw; I’m one of those people who can eat absolutely anything.

So I never took any more. I didn’t really care at the time, but recently I thought I’d see what it was like doing the 1g/lb thing. I am extremely lazy with my diet, and it would be way easier for me to hit 200g or more if I could take whey. Currently my diet is between one third and one half fat and only about a quarter protein. Usually that’s like 100-125g of protein.

So my questions were first of all, does anyone else get sick like this (diarrhea and cramps) from whey protein, and what could be the cause? If so, have you found a brand that doesn’t make you ill? (It can’t be lactose intolerance I don’t think, because I can eat a pint of ice cream and wash it down with a gallon of milk and feel right as rain).

I expect some Biotest Grow! endorsements, and if so, I can certainly give them a try, but just in case that doesn’t work out, please feel free to suggest other alternatives that you believe would be agreeable with the stomach.

I know there are powdered egg-proteins out there. I haven’t tried them myself, but maybe it really is something to do with the whey?

I’m the exact same. I forced myself to drink shakes for years just for it to explode out of me an hour or so later. I don’t think I ever actually absorbed any of it.

I tried adding psyllium fiber, didn’t help. Tried a zillion different brands, didn’t help. Switched to casein, didn’t help.

Anyway I just gave up on shakes and switched to eating protein bars when I needed a protein snack. I know a lot of protein bars are junk but there’s some good ones out there. Tasty too.

Only problem is it’s quite a bit more expensive to get all your protein from foods, but not having diarrhea every day is priceless.

I have the same problem.

Only thing I have found that don’t cause this problem for me is the Lean Body ready-to-drink shakes, but they are expensive.

Coming from someone who’s had a milk allergy (not lactose intolerance), I’ve noticed that my problems are often very dependent on the amount of protein, have you tried just half a scoop? As usual though, your mileage may vary.

Failing that, maybe try rice protein. It’s not as good as whey, casein, or even egg protein, but is pretty much hypoallergenic and should be fine for pretty much everyone.

Any issues with artificial sweeteners? I know that this can in some people lead to the gastric distress that you’ve described.

Sounds like you have been taking WPC. Probably hidden in a protein blend, or just a straight WPC powder. It’s high in lactose. Switch to WPI to have a powder that has no lactose. Avoid protein powders that have “prop blends”. Just buy pure WPI. Problem solved.

Or just eat a steak. Most protein powder intake is totally unnecessary.

[quote]Triceptaurus wrote:
Switch to WPI to have a powder that has no lactose. [/quote]

Ever tried Whey Isolate?

[quote]kgildner wrote:
Any issues with artificial sweeteners? I know that this can in some people lead to the gastric distress that you’ve described.[/quote]
Interesting, but definitely not my issue :stuck_out_tongue:

Sounds like you have been taking WPC. Probably hidden in a protein blend, or just a straight WPC powder. It’s high in lactose. Switch to WPI to have a powder that has no lactose. Avoid protein powders that have “prop blends”. Just buy pure WPI. Problem solved.[/quote]
The stuff I had was a blend that did include WPC. I think I will try some straight isolate. Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Or just eat a steak. Most protein powder intake is totally unnecessary.[/quote]
Well yeah… I don’t cook. Ever. Plus steak is expensive!