Protein That Doesn't Cause Diarrhea

I've tried many types of protein shakes over the years, and they all seem to give me diarrhea, even the ones containing no lactose. The only type I haven't tried yet is rice protein powders. Does anybody have a brand you could recomend me that might help?

Try adding some fibre to your shakes, it’s helped for me.

Also, you’re using water right?

So egg protein and gemma (pea) protein give you the runs?

Try adding fiber as RSGZ suggested but also throwing in 1000 mg of bromelain.

Also take a pro-biotic at night before bed and again with your morning meal/shake.

You need to keep this up for 1-2 weeks to really see how your body starts to respond to the change(s).

Hemp Protein?

I use Nutribiotics and Now Foods Rice Protein. They are about the same.I don’t like the flavored ones, and only use the plain rice.

Rice protein is not as pleasant an experience as whey, but it does the job, with no digestive problems. You probably just have an allergy to whey. If that’s the case, the only real solution is just not to use it.

I am also going to try pea protein soon, as it’s not usually an allergen.

Pro-biotics!!!

I am in the same boat. Every protien powder I have tried from Biotest to Isagenix gives me a bad case of the runs (both whey and soy based). I am looking to try the Nutri Rice powder as well soon. I will give feedback.

Would love to know if anyone else has this issue and their results.

For me, anythign with whey or casein in it gives me diarrhea UNLESS accompanied by a lactase enzyme.

I hope y’all are taking into account that even if it doesn’t say it contains lactose (in the form of milk, etc.), some proteins are derived from dairy and DO have lactose in them (i.e. whey, and especially casein).

Now, this might not be a lactose-intolerance thing at all… but if it is, that’s your answer…

Dan

For me personally, taking lactose pills, even multiple ones only somewhat reduces the issue ( or sometimes not at all)but in no way solves the problem. Also soy proteins give me issues as well, though not nearly as bad.

Thanks for the answers guys, I’m looking forward to hearing your results with Nutri Rice powder JohnnyNinja. Rice protein seems to be a rarity I’ve called a few supplements store and they all think i’m crazy when I ask if they sell rice protein… Most of them don’t seem to know what i’m talking about!

I have issues with whey, I have had success
with some casein protein- and really good
success with hemp.
I use probiotics for a few months then moved on.

really I stick with hemp or pea the Rice protein that I have tried tastes horrible.

Gemma from true protein is supposed to be excellent.
there is a bran called Vega- it is pea and hemp its great ,but super expensive.

The Hemp alone is fine, but two things
it doesn’t mix well, so get over the taste
and the best one I found is 13 grams or protein in a normal serving so you need to double up.

kmc

ok i’ll check it out I may give it a try!

Does Hemp protein make you go to the bathroom? It seems to contain lots of fibers…

One thing that no one has mentioned is: How many are you taking per day with relation to real food?

Just like protein bars, if you’re having 4-6 shakes a day and only 2 or 3 real food meals, the artificial sweeteners begin playing hell with your GI tract.

Just a thought as you never mentioned how much of the stuff you’re using…

I take really the minimum, 1 shake, and I always put less than what’s written on the label. So quantity here isn’t the issue.

[quote]JohnnyNinja wrote:
I am in the same boat. Every protien powder I have tried from Biotest to Isagenix gives me a bad case of the runs (both whey and soy based). I am looking to try the Nutri Rice powder as well soon. I will give feedback.

Would love to know if anyone else has this issue and their results.
[/quote]

I got the same problem. The only protein powder I can tolerate is zero carb Isopure with water only. And bulk BCAA’s powders.

Hemp protein…had my first experience with that this morning…

Remember as a kid when you played on the beach with sand and mixed it with water? now imagine you added a banana and some hay to it, mixed it up and drank it!

ew.

I’m trying Gemma next.

I just bought some Brown Rice Protein at a local health store. I’m gonna try it out over the next few days… I’m gonna give me feedback after

try nitrofusion by ANS. i just purchased two 2lb mocha flavor. the taste is gritty but it works. im just lactose-intolerant so i still drink diary derieved protein just with some lactase enzyme.

Optimum Nutrition Whey comes blended with lactase and aminogen to aid digestion. It is all I ever buy anymore. I never have GI problems with it. It also has a pretty good taste and is not full of junk like many other proteins (ex. Nitrotech).

I don’t think I ever got “the runs” but gas yes, especially from the Biotest protein I bought once.