Protein Supps On Recovery Days?

My main goal right now is to simply build more mass. Aside from a 4-month stretch last fall, I’ve been eating fairly clean for several years. I’ve been increasing my food intake over the last 3 weeks and will continue to until I reach my goal of 235lbs 8% by next spring (from around 216 lbs ~12-13%).

On workout days, I have Mighty1 3000 3x a day between meals. Do you guys recommend me drinking protein shakes between meals and before bed on non-lifting days too? If not, should I just approach those days with my vitamin supps and clean meals only or something else? Thanks in advance for the responces.

[quote]Panther1015 wrote:
My main goal right now is to simply build more mass. Aside from a 4-month stretch last fall, I’ve been eating fairly clean for several years. I’ve been increasing my food intake over the last 3 weeks and will continue to until I reach my goal of 235lbs 8% by next spring (from around 216 lbs ~12-13%).[/quote]

huh? that is really illogical…

[quote]Panther1015 wrote:
On workout days, I have Mighty1 3000 3x a day between meals. Do you guys recommend me drinking protein shakes between meals and before bed on non-lifting days too? If not, should I just approach those days with my vitamin supps and clean meals only or something else? Thanks in advance for the responces.[/quote]

unless you are getting inadequate protein during the meals i wouldn’t suggest it. probably just add more calories and excess protein is just going to (probably) convert to fat. its not like it just magically transforms into muscle. .75-1.25grams/lb of BW is a good range, depending on how your metabolism is etc etc.

[quote]Owen70 wrote:
Panther1015 wrote:
My main goal right now is to simply build more mass. Aside from a 4-month stretch last fall, I’ve been eating fairly clean for several years. I’ve been increasing my food intake over the last 3 weeks and will continue to until I reach my goal of 235lbs 8% by next spring (from around 216 lbs ~12-13%).

huh? that is really illogical…[/quote]

I discussed this in another thread several weeks ago. One of the main reasons I lost a lot of weight over the last 2 years (besides not lifting seriously since my FB days ended) is simply not eating enough (due to work and being flat out lazy), despite eating clean. So I’m addressing that by increasing how much I eat.

BTW, thanks for the reply.

I looked up that weight gainer.

Here’s what I found:

Nutrition Facts:
Serving Size (scoop) 4
Calories 840
Fat Calories 20
Total Fat (g) 2
Sat. Fat (g) 1
Cholesterol (mg) 35
Sodium (mg) 820
Potassium (mg) 1670
Total Carbs (g) 185
Sugars (g) 101
Proteins (g) 21

ONLY 21 GRAMS OF PROTEIN!!!

Seriously, the thing you’re going to gain the most, is FAT. 840 Calories to get 21 grams of protein??? Gimme a break. Sure it’s “low fat” but this stuff is LOADED with SUGAR, 101 grams of pure sugar, 185 grams of total carbs! You could go drink 3 cans of coke instead.

Instead of this crap, buy Low-Carb or regular Grow! What you will get is much better quality protein without massive “junk” calories. Sorry, anyone feel free to correct my viewpoint of this, but these “weight gainers” seem like a bunch of garbage.

Ok, now that I got that out of my system, what does your typical day of eating look like? And what does your training look like?

there are a few weight gainers with lower amounts of sugars (mostly complex carbs), and some omega 3s in there as well as whey, and casein. but these are few and far between and they are also very pricey. why not jut go buy a steak?

I’m going to switch to Grow! when this stuff runs out, but I’m not going to just toss it (although maybe I should, huh? LOL). Ok, here’s a breakdown:

Typical day of eating (minus protein drink)

• Carbolin 19 (on empty stomach) Oatmeal w/ organic whole milk & powdered milk and frozen blueberries, 1 boiled egg (or fried), glass of water.

• snack on plain yogurt (~10 oz), one apple, half a sandwich bag of home made trail mix (almonds, walnuts, cashews, raisins, flax)

• Carbolin 19 on empty stomach, fish oil and GLA-24

• Lunch - leftover dinner (usually something loosely based on a Berardi meal) or a foot long sandwich on whole wheat bread, mustard, lettuce and tomatoes w/ either roast beef or turkey. Baby carrots or celery sticks, sliced bell peppers, water.

• snack on whatever fruits and veggies are around (usually bell peppers and baby carrots), ~12 oz of fresh pineapple w/ cottage cheese or a few thick slices of sharp cheddar.

• Dinner loosely based on Berardi cookbook (read my curry chicken w/ lentils recipe on the “Get a Life” board).

• Pre-bedtime snack (usually 2 hours before bedtime) - light salad w/ a little grilled chicken breast and home made vinagrette or a bananna w/ yogurt.

• ZMA before bed.

Workout:

Following Mike Mahler’s KB exercises for size and strength program. Will be doing this for 2 more weeks and then starting the Skinny Bastard program at the gym.

Here’s what I’m doing right now:

Day 1:

A1: Double snatch
A2: Front squat

10x5 A1/A2

TGU’s 5x5
Russian twists on swiss ball 5x5
Weighted crunches on swiss ball 5x5

Active Recovery day #1:

Pistols 5x5/leg (mornings and evenings)

Day 2:

A1: Military press
A2: Bent over rows

10x5 A1/A2

B1: Floor press
B2: Renegade rows

10x5 B1/B2

same ab exercises as day 1

Active recovery day #2:

Pullups w/ 35 lb plate 10x3
Pushup w/ bar 5x10
Dips 10x5

Repeat

Whatever you end up selecting as your protein supplement (I recommend Grow!), it should be part of your regular meal plan. The only dietary difference I recommend between lifting days and non-lifting days is not doing your post-workout meal, which should be Surge.