T Nation

Protein Sparing Modified Fast?

Anyone have success trying this diet for rapid weight loss? What exactly do you consume, how many calories and what kind of supps? Thanks.

[quote]designinme wrote:
Anyone have success trying this diet for rapid weight loss? What exactly do you consume, how many calories and what kind of supps? Thanks.[/quote]

If you are going on a very low calorie diet, protein is the last thing I would cut back on.

If I had to try to lose weight fast (including some muscle), I would eat about 1400-1500 calories a day and consume just about all of that in meat protein and oil supplements.

Then I would add a fat burner like HOT-ROX Extreme, drink only water, and increase cardio to daily sessions. Still lift heavy 4 days a week, too.

[quote]icecold wrote:
If you are going on a very low calorie diet, protein is the last thing I would cut back on.
[/quote]

Not to be rude, but this is the exact reason why I was asking for someone who HAS done this diet. This diet is ALL protein. PROTEIN SPARING MODIFIED FAST = Sparing everything BUT protein.

Thanks

A buddy of mine brought this up when I told him I was going to do the Velocity Diet. The only difference with the V-Diet is that you’re allowed more carbs and therefore will not necessarily enter ketosis. Also, IIRC the PSMF is not necessarily all liquids. The idea behind protein shakes all day is that simplicity should increase adherence.

Honestly, if you’re not familiar with the original V-Diet article, that’s a good place to start. There are tons of threads about it also. Whichever direction you choose to take this, the supplementation should be very similar (fish oil, HRX, flax, Power Drive, etc) as should the range of calories.

Also, I don’t believe you’ll be cutting out fat (i.e. not eliminating everything but protein). If you’re eating 200 g of protein and you need 1500 kcal, you have to get 700 kcal from fat. With the V-Diet you do it with flax and fish oil, but with the PSMF you have a variety of sources to choose from.

[quote]designinme wrote:
icecold wrote:

Not to be rude, but this is the exact reason why I was asking for someone who HAS done this diet. This diet is ALL protein. PROTEIN SPARING MODIFIED FAST = Sparing everything BUT protein.

Thanks
[/quote]

No offense taken, I was wrong. Good luck on your goals. The positive news (which you probably know) is that calorie restrictive diets with high protein intake can help you lose fat quickly with much less muscle loss than conventional wisdom previously preached.