Protein Shakes or Meals for Bulking?

Hey all, this is my first post! I’ve been reading for a while and had a question about bulking. I weigh 176lbs at 5’8" and have been attempting to gain some weight but am having trouble increasing caloric intake. I increased my protein intake to about 300+ grams/ day but now have less hunger throughout the day for my meals and can go all day without eating real food. Any advice on what to do would be helpful! I apologize if there’s another thread on this.

This is crazy. I hope you aren’t getting 300g of protein from powder alone. You must find time to prep and eat animal meats that contain protein. You need some carbs, fats, and fiber. You can’t get those from powder. The easy answer is stop the dang powder. EAT FOOD

What the hell is your question?

Why don’t you give a breakdown of your diet, and we can go from there. Protein shakes tend to be very filling so if your having trouble eating enough food why don’t you simply caught the number of shakes your having per day down.

50g whey protein,
1/2 cup oatmeal oats,
2 bananas,
1 cup greek yogurt,
3 tsp cinammon,
ice,
some milk,
half a container peanut butter

Drink this after workout every day, itll pack some meat on ya. There are about 2000 calories and 100g protein.

[quote]JGrace55 wrote:
50g whey protein,
1/2 cup oatmeal oats,
2 bananas,
1 cup greek yogurt,
3 tsp cinammon,
ice,
some milk,

Drink this after workout every day, itll pack some meat on ya. There are about 2000 calories and 100g protein. [/quote]

Interesting recipe, I may look into it.

TS, I’m the same size you are and I’m on the see-food diet. It’s been working quite well.

Meals. Period.

Ya, Im a high schooler (football player) who is 6’3" 255. With this recipe, I put on my last 20-30 pounds in two months. Crazy stuff

I’m having about 6 protein shakes of 50- 75g spread out throughout the day occasionally with peanut butter and oats. I will have maybe one or two meals a day beside that because i figured they would make up for meals. Now that I am realizing what I actually am having each day it seems ridiculous. I thought it was necessary to get 300g supplemented protein on top of meals throughout the day. What is the amount of protein shakes I should be consuming on top of meals?

Again it just depends. I would say no more than 3 shakes per day. I generally shoot for 2-3 and actually have 2. I have one in the am and one right after the workout in the evening. I’m about 190lbs. I usually take in around 200-220g of protein daily. As I said before, you can’t get the essential nutrition that your body needs to grow by consuming 300g of protein powder and eating 1 or 2 meals. Just crazy. Forget the shakes, eat food.

FISH
CHICKEN
STEAK
LEAN HAMBURGER
OATMEAL
PEANUT BUTTER
EGGS
ALMONDS

Thanks for all the responses! I am lowering my protein shakes to 3 per day and going to try to get my calories from food.

6 shakes is retarded unless combined with some real food. you need proper to get fibre, vitamins, essential fatty acids, essential amino acids, control nitrogen levels, basically a lot of stuff! yes, shakes only can be done, if all the supplements are taken - V-Diet - but i really dont think thats wat ur looking for.

so if u wanna gain some muscle/weight - EAT - breakfast - shake - workout - shake - lunch - snack - dinner - shake before bed. done. too easy. surely PB sanwiches, fruit and nuts, plus ur protein powder aint that hard to carry around right?

Thanks pro-a-ggression, Im going to follow that eating plan. Any suggestions on how many calories to eat per day?

[quote]Ocelot82 wrote:

[quote]JGrace55 wrote:
50g whey protein,
1/2 cup oatmeal oats,
2 bananas,
1 cup greek yogurt,
3 tsp cinammon,
ice,
some milk,

Drink this after workout every day, itll pack some meat on ya. There are about 2000 calories and 100g protein. [/quote]

Interesting recipe, I may look into it.

TS, I’m the same size you are and I’m on the see-food diet. It’s been working quite well.
[/quote]

Ya man, I love this stuff. I’m not drinking it anymore after jumping 100 lbs in two years, but now my little brother is and he’s seeing similar results.

This thread is a joke, right? Seriously, I’ve read it a few times over, and I’m thinking a few of the TNation vets have got to be behind this absurdity. Then, I may lol. But as of right now, I’m just cringing at the slight possibility that this is a genuine thread.