T Nation

Protein Shakes Make Me Sick

I’ve tried three types of protein shake and I can only drink them for so long before I start gagging every time I open the container. I’ve been using Metabolic Drive and trying to find a flavor that doesn’t make me sick. Orange is not that flavor.

Is it reasonable to try to get 200+ grams a day without drinking shakes? How can I do it, just alot of chicken and tuna?

I get more than 40 every meal. I eat a lot of cottage cheese, tuna, chicken, salmon, and eggs.

Actually, that’s practically all I eat. :wink:

I’ll eat 2 cups of cottage cheese at a time, and that’s ~60 grams of protein right there. Or I’ll down one of those big ~300 calorie cans of tuna with two slices of whole wheat bread. That’s like 70 grams of protein. 6 eggs at a time …

The only shake I drink is Surge, after I workout.

Go with solid food ~ protein shakes are for those that need a little extra protein and its for convenience. If you can’t keep it down then you are wasting your time.

Google PROTEIN.

Some examples :

Chicken, Tuna, Salmon, Shrimp, Steak, Lamb, Turkey, Rabbit etc. Think of killable things that bleed.

Or if you want to go green, think of beans and grains along with a rainbow of veggies to add to your diet to replace say a chicken breast.

I’m the opposite half the time, I get tired of chewing food every few hours.

I get plain whey isolate, unflavored. This way I can add what I want to flavor it however I want. The powder itself doesn’t give off much flavor to the shake so I can taste what I add without a weird aftertaste. I tried vanilla flavored whey and I couldn’t hide the taste which I didn’t really care for. PM me if you want some recipes.

Try adding less water and downing it in a single gulp. That’s what I do (don’t even notice the taste).

Fuck mixing everything together, piecemeal is the way to go.

I’ve tried the flavorless protein and after a very short while, it made me sick on a more more intense level than Metabolic Drive ever has. I eat a shit load of tuna, chicken, and recently beef jerky has become a snack of mine. It’s good to hear from at least one person who eats all his meals.

If they make you vomit DON’T have them, simple!

[quote]Stroncal wrote:
I eat a shit load of tuna, chicken, and recently beef jerky has become a snack of mine. [/quote]

As someone mentioned earlier, protein is designed primarily as a meal replacement. If your a busy accountant on the go and you simply won’t have time to eat real meals then thats when a quick shake comes in handy.

Also realize that your paying much more for powder protein then you would if you buy real food (and real food is better for you).

So if your eating “a shit load” of real food, protein powder is simply not necessary.

[quote]RushNRocket wrote:
Also realize that your paying much more for powder protein then you would if you buy real food (and real food is better for you).
[/quote]

In my experience, this often isn’t the case. I can buy quality protein powder, not the Chinese junk in dog food bags, for less than most good food sources of protein.

Also, I fail to see how “real food is better.” Protein powder is real food. Yeah, it processed a little, but that makes it more concentrated and eliminates lactose and other things that many of us don’t want.

By the way, I’m not suggesting that people should stop using other sources of protein in favor of powders.

[quote]Stroncal wrote:
I’ve tried the flavorless protein and after a very short while, it made me sick on a more more intense level than Metabolic Drive ever has.[/quote]

It’s pretty obvious that you have some kind of sensitivity to dairy proteins, so I wouldn’t use them if I were you.

Protein shakes are a convenience. If you don�??t like them, meat will do just fine.

i think you should keep taking them until you get used to them. They are an invaluable tool to get your desired physique.

I used to not be able to stand to drink protein shakes, regardless of flavor. The texture was just awful, I hated it and vomited on more than one occasion while drinking them.

Then one day I could drink them no problem. Just try to stick with it for awhile and see if it gets any easier if you need them, otherwise just eat dead animals.

I will echo ChrisKing.

Metabolic Drive is real food as is all protein powders. Just get a blender and mix in some ice instead of water, I find that works well for those who dislike the water/powder mix.

egg white powder?

Egg whites. Buy eggs, crack eggs open into cup, spoon out the yokes. That or just buy egg whites:) I don’t blame you, I can’t stand protein powder.

[quote]CantStop wrote:
i think you should keep taking them until you get used to them. They are an invaluable tool to get your desired physique.[/quote]

lmao

Um, i cant drink protein powder in plain milk or water for very long either.

The answer is yoghurt, fruit, somtimes herbs, sometimes chunks of really really dark bitter chocolate, pure CREAM (i feel cream is often overlooked as a shake ingredient). Sometimes even a little apple juice goes a long way for flavour if you dont mind some extra carbs. Artificial sweetner, etc.

By then the cost of my shakes is high enough i could probably get met drive cheaper.

The unflavoured stuff, can be added to other foods. Ive added it and egg white powder to all egg based meals from scrambled eggs to quiche. mashed potatoes, ive made proteins bars with it. Pancakes (not the best) =(

[quote]kinein wrote:
Go with solid food ~ protein shakes are for those that need a little extra protein and its for convenience. If you can’t keep it down then you are wasting your time.

Google PROTEIN.

Some examples :

Chicken, Tuna, Salmon, Shrimp, Steak, Lamb, Turkey, Rabbit etc. Think of killable things that bleed.

Or if you want to go green, think of beans and grains along with a rainbow of veggies to add to your diet to replace say a chicken breast.

I’m the opposite half the time, I get tired of chewing food every few hours. [/quote]

Hmmm… tired of chewing, I was thinking that the other day, BUT I think I want to develop buffed jaws, now that I hear it from someone else. Protein/carb shakes make me sick too. Real food it is! (I found this thread trying to figure out if I need shakes or if real food will work… cause I can eat an army)

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:

Also, I fail to see how “real food is better.” Protein powder is real food. Yeah, it processed a little, but that makes it more concentrated and eliminates lactose and other things that many of us don’t want.
[/quote]

Then you fail to understand the thermic effect of feeding, which is very real. Or satiety.

It is a supplement, whether it is a whey/casein blend or anything else.