T Nation

Protein Shakes Bad Idea?

hey i have only been lifting for 3 months. I am a little over weight so i was wondering if a protein shake after every work out is a good idea or will just make me more over weight?

any help would be nice i have been reading lots of articals trying to find an answer but i cant. so if any one has an answer let me know thank you!

[quote]rptobias wrote:
hey i have only been lifting for 3 months. I am a little over weight so i was wondering if a protein shake after every work out is a good idea or will just make me more over weight?

any help would be nice i have been reading lots of articals trying to find an answer but i cant. so if any one has an answer let me know thank you![/quote]

drink the shake

Having a protein shake immediately after lifting is very good. You also want to get some good carbohydrates to and not alot of fat. Protein will not affect fat gain. If you want to read up on nutrition search for articles by John Berardi.

I get this question a lot from overweight people. The answer is, DEFINATELY HAVE A PROTEIN SHAKE AFTER YOUR WORKOUT. The reason you were overweight is because of lack of exercise and a poor diet. This is a step towards a GOOD diet. You want to lose fat and gain muscle? Well protein builds muscle, and muscle is metabolic. More muscle = higher metabolism = fat loss. I could say a lot more, but bottom line is DRINK DAT SHIT.

Without protein, your body will not be able to build new muscle. Years ago, a higher carbohydrate and lower fat diet was the rage, recommended by professional bodybuilders and trainers. They claimed that this was the only way to eat for muscle gain. Unfortunately, the only people gaining muscle on that type of diet were a genetically gifted few. The rest just got fat.

Carbs serve mainly as energy for the body, while protein provides the necessary amino acids to build and repair muscle. For muscle growth, carbohydrates are not as essential as protein and fats. High quality protein, which the body breaks down into amino acids, should be the center point of all your meals. There are many studies that show intense exercise increases demand for amino acids, which support muscle repair and growth. Actually to maintain your muscle mass you need protein/per Kg of bodyweight. Everyone has different body’s and needs, but you do not need a gram of protein per pound, as many people say. To maintain a normal bodyweight ‘your own bodyweight’ doctors preach 1gram of protein per KG. Bodybuilders do need more protein due to the rebuilding process of working out. But, and there is a but! 1g of Protein per pound is ridiculous.

Whether you believe it or not, the fact is: High protein diets build more muscle when incorporated with intense training. Low protein diets do not. Period. Only protein can build muscle. Carbohydrates and fat cannot. If you eat an obstantial amount of protein and it is not used but stored it will infact be stored as fat or be pissed out. This will give your pee a higher concentrate of protein and give your pee a darker yellow colouring.

Protein powders is great for post workout meals, It is easily digested and a quick fix bassicly. GET THE MAJORITY OF IT FROM SOLID FOOD.

I agree with the above, DEFINITELY drink the shake. Unless it’s an absolutely crappy ripoff shake (and even then, post workout, it should be better than nothing), you’re not going to get fatter by drinking a protein shake.

I’ve been drinking 2 double scoop shakes a day for 3 months to get the amount of protein I need, I’ve lost 14-17lbs in that time period. Maybe I would have lost a little more weight during that time period had I not done this…but the difference probably would have been all muscle!

Also, immediately before/after a workout, focus on Whey protein as it is more rapidly digested and absorbed into the bloodstream. Egg (albumin) is more slowly absorbed, and milk (casien) is very slowly absorbed. Consume the latter before bed or any other time you will not be able to have protein for awhile to keep a constant nourishment available for growing muscles. All three come in powder forms.

or you could just eat a meal with meat/cheese before bed

thank you so much for all your advice it helped me learn a lot and i will go with the protein!

The key to fat loss is macronutrient combination knowledge. You can mix food with high protein content with food with a high fat content OR food with high protein with food with high carbs, BUT NEVER food with high carb content with food with high fat content. Find nutrient breakdown here : http://www.calorieking.com/.

You can mix vegetables, but not fruits, with anything.

Simple as that.

Protein shake or even weight gainer (protein + carbs) post-workout do not break the rules.

[quote]cyph31 wrote:
or you could just eat a meal with meat/cheese before bed[/quote]

should i eat this the days i don’t lift?

[quote]cyph31 wrote:
or you could just eat a meal with meat/cheese before bed[/quote]

Cheese tends to be high (saturated) fat, so probably not a good choice for this guy. Cottage cheese maybe?

I remember when I was working so hard on losing weight and building muscle at first…and I definitely didnt miss out on any of my protein shakes. They are a good thing, be mindful of what kind you are drinking, and try to stay away from any of the ones that may have copious amounts of sugar in them…and I’d say you are good to go…

I swore by ON 100% Gold Standard and still do…