T Nation

Protein Shaker Stink

i know this is hardly a big problem…

but ive found an old shaker in the back of my cupboard and it STINKS. i dont have dishwasher and no matter how hard i scrub it… it still stinks

any tips?

I usually just fill it with a bit of dish washing liquid and then HOT water to the brim, and let it sit for a few hours.

After a while though I just decided to throw away smelly shakers, and make sure to keep new ones clean all the time.

“i dont have dishwasher”

then buy one.

I’m a student

there is no where to put a dishwasher in my digs

i cudnt afford one if there was room

i cant really afford to buy another one. i need to keep this one

[quote]rsg wrote:
I usually just fill it with a bit of dish washing liquid and then HOT water to the brim, and let it sit for a few hours.

After a while though I just decided to throw away smelly shakers, and make sure to keep new ones clean all the time.[/quote]

x2 let it soak in hot water with dish washing liquid

[quote]add1cted wrote:
“i dont have dishwasher”

then buy one.[/quote]

Don’t bother. She will end up nagging you.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
add1cted wrote:
“i dont have dishwasher”

then buy one.

Don’t bother. She will end up nagging you.[/quote]

That’s a good one!

With reference to the shaker cup, throw it away and buy another one…They’re pretty cheap.

jpb

Yeah, throw it away. Then, buy a new one, but this time make sure you wash it after each use.

Problem solved.

Put a teaspoon or so of baking soda in the shaker and fill it with hot water and give it a shake. Then let is soak in hot soapy water for a few hours. I’m pretty good at forgetting shakers in my car for a few weeks and this usually does the trick.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Put a teaspoon or so of baking soda in the shaker and fill it with hot water and give it a shake.[/quote]

LOL!

That’s gonna make a big mess.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Put a teaspoon or so of baking soda in the shaker and fill it with hot water and give it a shake. Then let is soak in hot soapy water for a few hours. I’m pretty good at forgetting shakers in my car for a few weeks and this usually does the trick.[/quote]

Was what i was going to say, I forget them at work or in my car sometimes my gym bag and in 90 degree weather they get smelly…

Throw it away. I don’t care what Mr. Robinson says in, “The Graduate”, the truth is Plastic is shit. I have started just using old glass bottles (from juice, etc) and they are much better, because (A) they’re not plastic, which leeches and (B) they are much easier to clean.

If you don’t want to use glass, because it might break, get yourself one of those stainless steel water bottles. They’re a little expensive, though.

Bleach.

[quote]thosebananas wrote:
I’m a student

there is no where to put a dishwasher in my digs

i cudnt afford one if there was room

i cant really afford to buy another one. i need to keep this one[/quote]

if i leave mine in the car too long they stink
use dish soap and put a drop of bleach in there wash it out rinse it with hot water overand over till smells gone

thats what i did today aswell… just chugged it down. it was horrible but i felt my shest hair growing after. :stuck_out_tongue:

cheers for the advice gents!

Yeah I have the same problem - I have one of those “Shake and Take” things:

http://www.amazon.com/Shake-Take-Personal-Smoothie-Maker/dp/B000U827BW/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1213129795&sr=8-1

And if I forget about the shakes the bottles smell terrible after a while. I soak them in soapy water overnight usually and that works.

Don’t open it inside. I’ve opened some that made it hard to breathe in that room.

Rinse with hot water and shake it dry and leave it to air dry WITHOUT THE LID ON.

I used a shaker I kept at work for years witout ever washing it with soap once this way…

…I think of it as keeping my immune system on its toes.

Actually this is probably a bad idea.

A bit of bleach in hot water works, the key is mostly the hot water to open the pores of the plastic.

My question is where can you find a good shake/water bottle that is dishwasher safe, I picked up 2 500ml bottles from GNC, tossed them in the dishwasher and both melted into the racking.

[quote]Nanan wrote:

My question is where can you find a good shake/water bottle that is dishwasher safe, I picked up 2 500ml bottles from GNC, tossed them in the dishwasher and both melted into the racking.[/quote]

Good question. Shakers have gotten too fancy, and they suck. I have a couple of old ABB Extreme Body shakers I received free in packs of those old ABB meal replacements, they have no extraneous construction oddities and have survived almost 10 years of use.

Those new “Blender Bottles” seem to have pretty good construction, though I could care less about the wire whisk inside as I shake my shakers forcefully enough to destroy all clumps; they do survive the dishwasher gauntlet, however.