Protein Shake While Lifting?

So I never really thought of the idea before now. I saw it on one of my supplements, it says that you will get maximum benefits if you sip while lifting. Of course half the crap on these things is bull, but it made some sense. Has anyone done this? I feel like it may give more energy as well.

Depends on the rest of your diet and para-workout routine. If you take a shake immediately before and immediately after I really don’t see a need for a shake during. However, if you take a shake immediately before and then wait until 30-60min after then a shake during would be wise.

Depends also on how long your workout is. If it’s 60 minutes or less then I don’t see a need. If it’s 75-90 minutes or longer then you may want to sip a shake during.

Do some research. There are articles on here and posts on CT’s section about para-workout nutrition. There are also research articles (try google scholar) that compare various para workout protocols.

If you take a shake immediately before you’ll reach a peak in protein synthesis during your 60 minute workout then if you take another shake immediatley after you’ll “piggy back” off this peak to reach another high peak.

Also, the reason why you just can’t take protein shakes all day and reach greater and greater peaks is there is a limit to everything within the human body. So taking a shake immediately before, during, and then right after may be a bit overdone and so you’ll be wasting one shake for nothing.

I’ve never tried this and probably never will. The only thing I can stomach while lifting is water. I always eat an hour before my workout and that gives me enough energy. But to each, its own.

makes sense , but I do mine before, because that way the nutrients are through my digestive system right when the workout is over.

makes sense , but I do mine before, because that way the nutrients are through my digestive system right when the workout is over.

[quote]talmid91 wrote:
…I feel like it may give more energy as well.[/quote]

try 0.2g BCAA instead. i put ~40g in an old vit.c bottle and take 10g as i warm up and then the rest during my workout. love it!

I’m with Bantamrunner, a shake before and after your workout should be fine. If it’s energy you’re looking for, perhaps you could try some Surge, there’s an article about it in the supplements section and most have good things to say about it.

If you want more energy, just drink waxy maize prior to your workouts. You won’t really get maximum benefits from drinking ANY protein powdered drink compared to carbs.

I sip my whey/glucose shake during workout, 60 mins after a solid protein/carbs meal

[quote]hawaiilifterMike wrote:
If you want more energy, just drink waxy maize prior to your workouts. You won’t really get maximum benefits from drinking ANY protein powdered drink compared to carbs.
[/quote]

Thankfully, the waxy maize fad has begun to subside now that it’s been exposed for not being what companies have promoted it to be.

Check out All Topics | BrinkZone.com.

I love sipping on a protein shake while working out