Protein Shake Mishaps

So this morning I wake up get dressed and make my protein shake to take with me on my way to work.

It is very very very cold out this morning and me being Socal and all that means 60 degrees. Actually it was around 45.

Anyway since it was so cold out I thought it would be nice to use warm water instead of cold to make my shake, kind of a nice warm hot chocolate, mmmmmmmmmm.

Well, I have noticed in the past that protein shakes tend to produce a bit of gas when mixed with water, usually a little pressure is noticible when you pop the cap on your shaker to drink.

So, this time I decided to use warm water and I gave it a good shaking, don’t want any clumps.

Well does anyone remember what happens to pressure levels when heat is applied to an already gaseous reaction? That right even more pressure!

So I give it a final shake and right as I set it down BOOM!!
The cap flies off and a gyser no less than old faithful itself spews forth. The brown colum of nutritious liquid splashes against the ceiling and proceeds to rain down upon myself, the four walls of the kitchen and every thing within.

To say the least I was pissed.

So anyone eles have anything like this happen.lol

See! Protein shakes Are dangerous!

I’ve done that before too. I might even prank my girlfriend with it.

this has been discussed before!

here’s a semi recent thread about the same thing that I imagine you’d be interested in reading:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1299986

[quote]Split wrote:
this has been discussed before![/quote]

OMG It has?!?!? Wow! Your awesome for pointing that out!

38 degrees when I walked my dog this AM at 5:00… I know that the rest of the country is under snow, but if you’re a delicate so-cal resident that’s getting pretty darn cold.

As for the shake, was it like steaming hot water or just kind of warm?

My worst protien shake offence is when I throw one down in my truck and toss the nalgene in the back seat and forget about it for a week or ten. Since I know what it’s going to smell like I just throw the thing away rather than open it.

B.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
38 degrees when I walked my dog this AM at 5:00… I know that the rest of the country is under snow, but if you’re a delicate so-cal resident that’s getting pretty darn cold.

My worst protien shake offence is when I throw one down in my truck and toss the nalgene in the back seat and forget about it for a week or ten. Since I know what it’s going to smell like I just throw the thing away rather than open it.

B.[/quote]

HA! the smell omg, I have 2 shakers right now in my sink that I need to just throw away!

Man it was just luke warm but reacted like it was a pressure cooker!

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
The brown colum of nutritious liquid splashes against the ceiling and proceeds to rain down upon myself,[/quote]

So, I’ve had protein shake mishaps like this… but I’m pretty sure it was from the gaseous buildup in my stomach, not shakerbottle.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:

B.[/quote]

Yes theres nothing like the ming from an unwashed protein shaker.

good thing i stir. then again, i would never use hot water for a shake…

[quote]ftothe3 wrote:
good thing i stir. then again, i would never use hot water for a shake…[/quote]

just always leave a quarter of the container with air and 3/4 of shake…

ok, first of all, neither 45, nor 38, is cold. It was 23 when I left my house this morning (I know there’s someone from Calgary or something just waiting to trump me with your -38C).

More importantly, I had a similar thing happen to me when I left my shake in the sauna. I finished my workout, made my Surge, and went and sat down in the sauna to drink it and relax. I’d had a bit of a stomach bug for a day or two before that and all of a sudden the Surge mixed with whatever else was goin on down there and I had to make a mad dash for the shitter.

I was apparently on the can for a while because when I went back to the sauna and gave my Surge a shake before opening it back up, the top popped and it exploded everywhere. You think old shakers smell bad, try soaking the wood in a sauna in protein, it smelled for months.