Protein Shake Gas?

[quote]Otep wrote:
Thank you all for your input.

My intent is to start with the cheapest, easiest fix and move on from there. I’ll be dropping by GNC later on today (because really- what’s easier than taking a pill?).

If that doesn’t work I’ll pick up some yogurt from Whole Foods when I go shopping on Sunday. I hate yogurt. Man I hate yogurt. The taste man, it’s just… but if it works, who am I to argue with results?

I checked out Dr. Serrano’s protien powder (www.infinityfitness.com/products/gl.html) and… honestly, it looks like some of the most hyped and expensive stuff on the market. It’s roughly fifteen cents per gram of protein, and when I looked at the ingredients, it’s rice and pea protein with colustrum, inulin and glycine.

When I find a solution, I’ll post the results. Thanks for sharing your experiences.[/quote]

I hate yogurt too (it’s one of the few foods I refuse to eat, no matter how good they say it is for you), which is why I decided to take the acidophilus pills, I supposedly get the same benefits without any of the nastyness.

Don’t argue with results. They’ll get offended and leave you.

Yeah, I’ll keep an eye on your results too Otep.
I’ve got a feeling it’s my new protein powder but I’m interested to see your results.

Whatever it is - should be registered as a lethal weapon! When you can’t stand your own - you know you’ve got problems.

I love the yogurt idea. I have the same problem. I’m going to try that. I’ll post back to this thing if it fixes it. Thanks ladies

[quote]Boffin wrote:
Maximillian wrote:
Basically protein servings above 40g usually end up in gas because the human body has trouble digesting that much protein.

Sorry I don’t buy it! 40g is NOT a lot of protein. How much protein in an average chicken breast or decent size steak?

One thought occurs though, as the shake is liquid (duh!) possibly it goes through the upper digestive system too quickly?[/quote]

Whoops my mistake, I forgot to mention the speed. Yes you’re right a full meal can take hours to digest due to all the fats, carbs, proteins and junk. The protein shake passes through the stomach within 15 minutes as there is no digestion to be made, and it ALL hits the intestines at once.

My gas went away after I started using bromelain and betaine hcl.

[quote]laroyal wrote:
theAnj wrote:
Hahaha, this was actually a topic over on Figure Athlete too, a while back. Something recommended there was to add plain yogurt to your Grow Whey shakes- I use greek yogurt because it has about half the carbs and more protein- and that works fine for me.

Seems to help with digesting it or something… actually I have no idea how it works; it just does. Of course, chocolate and p.b. type flavors taste Sha-NASTY with the yogurt, but adding a little ice, frozen berries and sweetener tastes great, or pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice and sweetener.

The yogurt would help because of the naturally occurring pro biotic acidophilus. The term acidophilus is used to describe a number of bacteria which help in human digestion.

These bacteria include L. acidophilus, L. casei, L. bulgaricus, among others. Lactobacilus acidophilus is one of the bacteria found in these mixtures, but the term acidophilus usually refers to a combination of L. acidophilus with other beneficial bacteria.

Acidophilus is touted for its many health benefits, some of which have been known about for thousands of years. The bacteria is found naturally throughout the human body, and most likely made its way into a food long ago, beginning a cycle of natural fermentation which people eventually learned to artificially duplicate.

When acidophilus are placed in a sugar-rich environment, they begin to eat the sugars they find there. They then convert these sugars into various things, including lactic acid. This adds a distinctive taste, and lowers the pH of the food or liquid so that other flora do not find it as friendly an environment, helping to preserve the food.

Yogurt is probably the most well-known of foods that make use of acidophilus, and it is very easy to notice the sour taste of the lactic acid when eating this food. Other foods that contain acidophilus include sauerkraut, kombucha, kinchi, kefir, and many other fermented food products.

Acidophilus can help protect the body against harmful bacteria, parasites, and other organisms. As it breaks down, it releases things such as hydrogen peroxide that create a toxic environment for unhealthy creatures in the body, helping to drive them out.

It also plays an important role in digestion, helping to produce a number of chemicals which aid in the digestion process.

Many alternative modalities of healing look to acidophilus for a wide range of health benefits. In addition to basic digestive assistance, acidophilus is thought to help bolster the immune system as a whole. It is also thought to provide some relief from intestinal problems, such as diarrhea.

The fungal infection of Candida albicans, more commonly referred to as a yeast infection when it affects the genital area, is thought by some to be controlled by acidophilus. Since acidophilus occurs naturally in the genitals, and plays a role in warding off such infections, some people advocate topical treatment.

The topical application of yogurt, which contains acidophilus, is thought by many to help relieve and ultimately cure a yeast infection. Oral ingestion is also recommended, either of yogurt, or of an acidophilus supplement.

Because antibiotics kill the so-called probiotics, such as acidophilus, as well as harmful bacteria, many people feel that an antibiotic regime can lead to outbreaks of numerous problems, including yeast infections.

It is recommended by many to take supplements of acidophilus and eat acidophilus-rich foods for a period of time after completing a regimen of antibiotics
[/quote]

Wow. Great info out of nowhere. Going to try some of this tomo.

To the OP digestive enzymes(solgar) sorted out my protein farts, as well as drastically decreasing bloating from big meals.

Start with 500mg bromelain (preferably with pepsin and papain, which I think some brand formulas come with) about 10 min before drinking the shake.

Titrate up dose:

No difference with one cap, 10 min prior? Have a second cap halfway through your shake.

No difference? Have 1 cap betaine HCL with the FIRST bromelain cap, 10 min prior to shake.

Then, move up to a second betaine HCL cap (I suggest starting with 300-450 mg betaine per cap) with the second bromelain cap, halfway through your shake.

No difference? Try 1 tbsp ACV with the caps, 10 min prior to shake.

nothing and i mean NOTHING beats the Epistane egg farts