T Nation

Protein Shake Every Day?

At 16 yrs old, I certainly can’t say I had a good perspective on nutrition. God I was eating mescaline and acid like it was job listening to Pink Floyd.

If the OP wants to train and eat properly. Why not start the right way? Fuck, halfway would be better than nothing. Eat clean all week and on the weekends eat what you want. Don’t open the flood gates by any means and eat Hotpockets and other shit.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zewDAa99Ns8

You should be writing down everything you eat for a whole week and look at each individual day… are you getting at least 1g/lb bodyweight of protein and are you training hard? If No and Yes, then buy protein and drink as many shakes as you need to get to the goal, but make sure you push your diet in the protein direction as well.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

I have a feeling his mother isn’t just buying Hot Pockets for herself and that the OP may have something to do with why they are even in the shopping basket to begin with.
[/quote]

I don’t eat them. She buys them because there are 3 other teenagers in my house that will eat them. I haven’t ate frozen stuff for weeks, but I don’t have much else around the house except for canned stuff, and I know that isn’t the best way to go either.

[quote]fisch wrote:
Professor X wrote:

I have a feeling his mother isn’t just buying Hot Pockets for herself and that the OP may have something to do with why they are even in the shopping basket to begin with.

I don’t eat them. She buys them because there are 3 other teenagers in my house that will eat them. I haven’t ate frozen stuff for weeks, but I don’t have much else around the house except for canned stuff, and I know that isn’t the best way to go either.[/quote]

I know it’s hard as a teenager because you are basically clueless and probably barely know how to work the stove by yourself…but that’s the point. Bodybuilding pretty much forces you to learn these things. Talking to your mom about your goals is probably a good idea as well unless she is against bodybuilding for some reason.

No one can really inform you of which way to go until you tell us what your limitations are. If you can learn to buy your own food and cook it, then do so. If your mom will buy you other food choices, then get her to.

No one can make up some random diet for you since none of us even know what you truly have access to.

I do know that if I couldn’t get “all clean food” that this would not hinder my progress at all. I would eat what was available and train hard in the gym…just like I did it when I was broke as shit and relied on my parents.

Who knows once you start understanding proper nutrition and how you can eat good tasting food w/o being on some poor excuse “diet” you may just educate your family on proper eating habits as well.

Not the trusty old food pyramid either

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Why is anyone recommending that a guy who doesn’t even know if he should drink a protein shake everyday should buy any supplements at all before they learn how to eat?

In fact, anyone who would do that makes me question their own progress.[/quote]

Very good point, but will having a protein shake really destroy him? Yes, he should learn to make better choices, but a protein shake isn’t going to set him back, unless he thinks he can totally rely on them, which would be a bad thing.

I had pretty decent progress in HS, and ate like complete crap, but took a lot of protein supplements (n-tech :wink: lol )

[quote]liston78 wrote:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zewDAa99Ns8[/quote]

I can’t youtube here but I hope that is Jim Gaffigan.

Hot Pocket

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Why is anyone recommending that a guy who doesn’t even know if he should drink a protein shake everyday should buy any supplements at all before they learn how to eat?

In fact, anyone who would do that makes me question their own progress.

Very good point, but will having a protein shake really destroy him? Yes, he should learn to make better choices, but a protein shake isn’t going to set him back, unless he thinks he can totally rely on them, which would be a bad thing.[/quote]

It very well could destroy his future progress by making him one of the many who rely on supplements more than they rely on food intake.

We see these types of newbies daily. They aren’t making much progress but are spending upwards of 200 bucks a month on supplements that are clearly not doing much.

His FOOD INTAKE should be his greatest concern, not a protein shake. Someone his size doesn’t even need one. If someone that size can’t get enough protein from food, they have a serious problem.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Why is anyone recommending that a guy who doesn’t even know if he should drink a protein shake everyday should buy any supplements at all before they learn how to eat?

In fact, anyone who would do that makes me question their own progress.

Very good point, but will having a protein shake really destroy him? Yes, he should learn to make better choices, but a protein shake isn’t going to set him back, unless he thinks he can totally rely on them, which would be a bad thing.

It very well could destroy his future progress by making him one of the many who rely on supplements more than they rely on food intake.

We see these types of newbies daily. They aren’t making much progress but are spending upwards of 200 bucks a month on supplements that are clearly not doing much.

His FOOD INTAKE should be his greatest concern, not a protein shake. Someone his size doesn’t even need one. If someone that size can’t get enough protein from food, they have a serious problem.[/quote]

Your point is noted X, but I see many people who’s regular diet is so crappy that if at a minimum they got one quality protein shake in a day it would be quite an improvement.

D

[quote]Professor X wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Why is anyone recommending that a guy who doesn’t even know if he should drink a protein shake everyday should buy any supplements at all before they learn how to eat?

In fact, anyone who would do that makes me question their own progress.

Very good point, but will having a protein shake really destroy him? Yes, he should learn to make better choices, but a protein shake isn’t going to set him back, unless he thinks he can totally rely on them, which would be a bad thing.

It very well could destroy his future progress by making him one of the many who rely on supplements more than they rely on food intake.

We see these types of newbies daily. They aren’t making much progress but are spending upwards of 200 bucks a month on supplements that are clearly not doing much.

His FOOD INTAKE should be his greatest concern, not a protein shake. Someone his size doesn’t even need one. If someone that size can’t get enough protein from food, they have a serious problem.[/quote]

Great point about his size and protein intake. I think a whey protein shake after a good hard session would be good though.

Thanks so far for all the input guys. I plan on talking to my mom about this, and hopefully I can greatly improve my diet. I still will get Grow! Whey, and use it as a supplement, not as my main protein intake. From what it seems, whey every day would help even if I am getting a good amount of protein.

Drink your shake post workout, or use the protein to make a good breakfast smoothie.

[quote]fisch wrote:
I am going to buy my first protein shakes as soon as possible, but I want to know if I should be drinking them every day. If so, I will probably get Grow! Whey, if not, then probably Surge. (im pretty sure I don’t get enough protein every day, but I want to hear your guy’s thoughts about this.) Also, do you guys recommend Grow! Whey or Surge overall?[/quote]

Eat 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight in food. let the shake be an addition to whole food.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

His FOOD INTAKE should be his greatest concern, not a protein shake. [/quote]

agreed

[quote]Professor X wrote:

I ate tons of frozen pizzas as a kid trying to put on weight.
[/quote]

You did cook them right ?! Prof ?

[quote]Dr Stig wrote:
Professor X wrote:

I ate tons of frozen pizzas as a kid trying to put on weight.

You did cook them right ?! Prof ?

[/quote]

The boxes are good fiber.

It’s the plastic wrapping that I should have cut back on.

Eh, when I was teenager I had Dorito’s, lunch meat, and Wheat Thins to eat on a regular basis including the public school cafeteria.

Bottom line, as I had pointed out in my first post on this topic, your diet needs to be in order first; like everyone here has stated, please try. If so, great; if not, no problem.

After this has been accomplished, if you feel you’re ready to carry on and test the supplement gods; then by all means.

With a solid nutrional foundation and HARD ASS WORK in the gym there should be no need for supplements(outside of protein) at 16 yrs old.

You are loaded with natural test, USE IT WISELY

[quote]fisch wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
this type of question leads me to believe that you need to seriously work on your overall nutrition.

that being said, I’d go for Surge for a PWO shake

Yeah, I know. I need to change my diet around. It’s kind of hard though, im almost 16 and my step-mom makes dinner for my family. Most of the food in my house is frozen stuff (frozen pizzas, hot pockets), and some is canned food (spagetti-o’s). So I try to do the best I can around my house, but it isn’t very good.[/quote]

Make a deal with your mom: she stops buying shit, you start cooking.