Protein Shake Every Day?

I am going to buy my first protein shakes as soon as possible, but I want to know if I should be drinking them every day. If so, I will probably get Grow! Whey, if not, then probably Surge. (im pretty sure I don’t get enough protein every day, but I want to hear your guy’s thoughts about this.) Also, do you guys recommend Grow! Whey or Surge overall?

this type of question leads me to believe that you need to seriously work on your overall nutrition.

that being said, I’d go for Surge for a PWO shake

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
this type of question leads me to believe that you need to seriously work on your overall nutrition.

that being said, I’d go for Surge for a PWO shake[/quote]

Yeah, I know. I need to change my diet around. It’s kind of hard though, im almost 16 and my step-mom makes dinner for my family. Most of the food in my house is frozen stuff (frozen pizzas, hot pockets), and some is canned food (spagetti-o’s). So I try to do the best I can around my house, but it isn’t very good.

How much do you weigh? How many grams of protein are you currently ingesting per day? What are your goals?

Personally I take in some kind of protein shake after every workout. If I’m doing a keto diet then I don’t use Surge but you could use a whey like the one made by Biotest along with some glutamin, glycine, and BCAAs. Also I take a serving of Metabolic Drive before bed every night.

I cant say what I recommend on this site, … ( give ya a hint, its not Biotest though :stuck_out_tongue: ). I do take shakes on a reg basis. I have one of just 20g AS SOON as I wake in the morning, with BCAA/glutamine. I have one big one PWO (45g protein, BCAA, Glutamine, gatorade powder), and then another small one, 20g JUST BEFORE I hit the pillow at night.

Thats what works best FOR ME though…ive been doing it for some time and I’m guessing I have the timing down and the dose’s. Don’t however get caught up thinking that more shakes the better, there is no substitute for solid food protein and nutrients… its easier for us guys that have crazy hours at work and never know when you will get to eat every 3 hours!!

[quote]ACTrain wrote:
How much do you weigh? How many grams of protein are you currently ingesting per day? What are your goals?

Personally I take in some kind of protein shake after every workout. If I’m doing a keto diet then I don’t use Surge but you could use a whey like the one made by Biotest along with some glutamin, glycine, and BCAAs. Also I take a serving of Metabolic Drive before bed every night.[/quote]

I’m 6 ft, 175 pounds. I don’t know how many grams of protein im ingesting per day (i just know its not 175 g worth). My goals are to increase my strength and explosiveness, and to lower my BF (I don’t know what it is, I think around 20%, don’t know how to calculate it). Im just about to start Bill Starr’s 5x5.

You need to browse and read the articles on nutrition. Here’s how: click on the “D” above todays article (next to where it says “most recent”), then click on “SEE ALL”. That’ll give you all the articles thus far on diet & nutrition from this year. You’ll then be able to click on all previous years articles if you want.

Read, read, and read some more. Educate yourself, you simply don’t know enough.

Regarding protien powders, get Grow! Whey. Surge is designed for PWO (post-workout) only, not for everyday use (unless you’re working out every day).

A protein shake like Grow! Whey is only to help you meet your daily protein requirements for the day. If you have no idea how much more protein you need, Grow! Whey can’t help you. Fix your diet, then consider whether or not a supplement (key word here) is what you need.

Surge and Grow! Whey are generally used for two different purposes.

If you’re looking to add a high quality protein and carb supplement for pre/post workout, go with Surge.

If you’re looking to add a few protein shakes in throughout the day to increase protein/calorie intake, go with the Grow! Whey. I have at least one shake everyday, breakfast and usually one other meal.

Hope that helps.

After your diet is balanced…

I would definently recommend if you’re going to consume a shake everyday for it to be Metabolic Drive Super Protein Shake, but if it’s on a more consistent basis (2-3 feedings daily) nab the Grow! Whey Protein Powder.

I mean more bang for your buck I figure, you’re only 16.

[quote]fisch wrote:
I am going to buy my first protein shakes as soon as possible, but I want to know if I should be drinking them every day. quote]

Are you kidding me? I drink three protein shakes a day!

your young man, eat eat eat!

oh; and don’t forget to train your ass off!

i see a ton of HS kids at my gym; one main thing…learn correct form for everything you do; or you’ll be out of the game before you even get in it.

Why is anyone recommending that a guy who doesn’t even know if he should drink a protein shake everyday should buy any supplements at all before they learn how to eat?

In fact, anyone who would do that makes me question their own progress.

As others have mentioned, if you have to ask this question, you have some book learnin’ to do. Certainly find a way to not eat spaghetti O’s and hot pockets. All the whey in the world won’t help if you’re mixing it with frozen pizzas, sadly.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
As others have mentioned, if you have to ask this question, you have some book learnin’ to do. Certainly find a way to not eat spaghetti O’s and hot pockets. All the whey in the world won’t help if you’re mixing it with frozen pizzas, sadly.[/quote]

I ate tons of frozen pizzas as a kid trying to put on weight.

I feel for some of you making this that complicated that there is some “either or” mentality when it comes to food choices as if you are either “all clean” or “all junk food”.

Life must be hard for people like that.

You eat the way YOU have to eat in order to see progress. If you have a fast metabolism that takes near 5,000cals a day just to gain weight…but you won’t gain any weight because you are only trying to cram chicken breasts down as your main source of calories, you have missed the point.

Likewise, if anyone reads this and assumes that it means eat ALL junk food and get fat as hell, you are a total dumbass who should avoid responding.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Vicomte wrote:
As others have mentioned, if you have to ask this question, you have some book learnin’ to do. Certainly find a way to not eat spaghetti O’s and hot pockets. All the whey in the world won’t help if you’re mixing it with frozen pizzas, sadly.

I feel for some of you making this that complicated that there is some “either or” mentality when it comes to food choices as if you are either “all clean” or “all junk food”.

You eat the way YOU have to eat in order to see progress. If you have a fast metabolism that takes near 5,000cals a day just to gain weight…but you won’t gain any weight because you are only trying to cram chicken breasts down as your main source of calories, you have missed the point.

Likewise, if anyone reads this and assumes that it means eat ALL junk food and get fat as hell, you are a total dumbass who should avoid responding.[/quote]

A lot of people do that though. Some guys add a half cup of rice to their diet and call it “bulking”.

On the other hand, I remember these two guys in the locker room a few years back talking about what they eat. The one guy said he had McDonalds for lunch, and Pizza Hut for dinner, but it was ok because he was “bulking”. Did I mention these two guys were fat bastards?

Now, lets really get down to business and discuss “Is a calorie just a calorie?”.

Vicomte wrote:

Likewise, if anyone reads this and assumes that it means eat ALL junk food and get fat as hell, you are a total dumbass who should avoid responding.[/quote]

Agreed. If your mom is the one doing the grocery shopping, go with her. Explain your goals(once you figure them out) and shop for alt to Hot pockets…which junk food or not that shit is nasty.

Protein shakes are a good supplement and you can get it fairly inexpensive; you’re 16 right? EAT EAT EAT, you have the time to make sure you eat properly.

And as someone before said focus on your form. Don’t let your ego get in the way. Lift what you can with strict form.

I wouldn’t bother buying Surge just yet. I don’t see a problem with having some Whey around the house to help increase protein intake, but that’s more of a minor detail.

If you’re basically stuck with frozen diners, see what you can do about encouraging the purchase of frozen chicken and burgers. Also peanut butter is a fairly good source.

But if you really want to see progress, especially since you’re after strength and explosiveness, TRAIN YOUR ASS OFF!!!

I’ve seen people with horrific diets get strong, but I’ve never seen anyone that didn’t train hard, regardless of how well they ate, make much progress.

Good luck.

Vicomte wrote:

From what the OP has stated, it seems all of the food available to him is junk food. What I was essentially saying is that he needs to eat a fairly clean diet–something I think we can all agree upon–before he thinks about adding supplements.

I was exaggerating to make a point, but fuck, I still wouldn’t eat hot pockets on any diet. If he’s worried about whether or not it’s okay to have a protein shake every day, it behooves him to realize also that frozen pizza is not exactly optimal as the majority of one’s diet. I never said eat squeaky clean. Hell, even I don’t eat chicken breast.

For someone who advocates a golden medium approach to nutritional advice, you’re pretty quick to assume extremes, X.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Vicomte wrote:

Likewise, if anyone reads this and assumes that it means eat ALL junk food and get fat as hell, you are a total dumbass who should avoid responding.

From what the OP has stated, it seems all of the food available to him is junk food. What I was essentially saying is that he needs to eat a fairly clean diet–something I think we can all agree upon–before he thinks about adding supplements. I was exaggerating to make a point, but fuck, I still wouldn’t eat hot pockets on any diet.

If he’s worried about whether or not it’s okay to have a protein shake every day, it behooves him to realize also that frozen pizza is not exactly optimal as the majority of one’s diet. I never said eat squeaky clean. Hell, even I don’t eat chicken breast.

For someone who advocates a golden medium approach to nutritional advice, you’re pretty quick to assume extremes, X.[/quote]

That would be because most of these people only think in extremes. I wouldn’t eat a HotPocket unless it was served in between Jessica Alba’s legs.

I have a feeling his mother isn’t just buying Hot Pockets for herself and that the OP may have something to do with why they are even in the shopping basket to begin with.