T Nation

Protein Shake Alternative

Hey guys, i’ve been lifting pretty serious for about 6 months now and just started rugby. I used to have a protein shake once or twice per day and its been messing up my skin. i started to get bad acne on my face and some on back. I went to a dermatologist and they couldn’t think of anything else it would be.

I stopped drinking shakes and my acne has started to go down, but i still need the extra protein daily, what else is there to have that won’t affect your skin

food.

Try a different protein powder. What kind was it? I couldn’t drink whey so I use soy.

CHICKEN!

BEEF!

[quote]Digity wrote:
Try a different protein powder. What kind was it? I couldn’t drink whey so I use soy.[/quote]

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Don’t use SOY!!!

Eat Food, and lots of it.

I would go with another vegetable based protein. There are non-soy vegetable proteins out there that are (nearly) equivalent to whey in bioavailability and amino acid profile.

Perhaps you need to try a cleaner protein. This may cost more, however.

What are you using? Does it have anything beyond protein in it?

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:
Perhaps you need to try a cleaner protein. This may cost more, however.

What are you using? Does it have anything beyond protein in it?
[/quote]
Agreed.

Try a high quality Whey Isolate first, pm me for some suggestions if you wish. I am assuming that you are fine with milk products in general? There is a goat milk Whey protein available that might work for you; and there are Egg proteins, both in pasterized liquid egg whites and in powder; and there are even vegetable-like based proteins like wheat and soy that are available - those Soy and Wheat proteins would be my last choice and not really an option: I’d blend tuna in water first.

I use a whey (and caseine protein) from a brand called NOW Foods. Their whey protein is 100% Pure Protein Isolate and is full of BCAA’s; it has 25g of Protein for 1 scoop, 1g of sugar and 1g of carbs. I buy the unflavored one and make it with frozen fruit and a very small piece of banana.
The only ingredient is listed as follows:

100% Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate (providing B-lactoglobulin, a-lactalbumin, Immunoglobulins and Glycomacro Peptides). Contains milk derivaties.

Contains no: Sugar, salt, starch, yeast, wheat, gluten, corn, soy, egg or preservatives.

[quote]venusismyplanet wrote:
I use a whey (and caseine protein) from a brand called NOW Foods. Their whey protein is 100% Pure Protein Isolate and is full of BCAA’s;
[/quote]

All whey protein is naturally full of BCAAs, so I get a kick out of companies trying to make their products appear better by listing it on the label.