Protein Question

I got into a debate/argument with one of my co-workers the other day over how much protien the bady can take in, in a day. I was going off the priciple i hear and read the most 1 gram / per 1 lb of bodyweight. I recently did the V-Diet and packed on some decent muscle, while trimming 4 inches off my waist.

Went from a 38 to a 34 in the 28 days. This showed me a great deficiency in my protien intake and eating patterns prior to the diet. Anyways, the guy i was chatting with used to be a huge mofo by his photos. But he was from the older school of lifting, working out in the 70 - 80’s. I dont doubt his experience, but wondering if maybe his knowledge is outdated. I respect him much… anyone who used to lift with Arnold back before he was popular has my respect for gym info. Anyways he is stuck on the principle that our body in 1 sitting can only use 20 -25 grams / protien.

Then proceeded to explain that the companies with these 50 gram protien shakes are scammin the system cause you can only use 20, thus need a constantly supply in the system not gorge. I was thinking about the bodies “usage rate” of protien… cause the body absorbs/uses different protiens at different levels. Does anyone know a article or where i can find some solid research on protien not just opinion or yea you should take this much but im not sure why. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

[quote]esp7781 wrote:
I got into a debate/argument with one of my co-workers the other day over how much protien the bady can take in, in a day. I was going off the priciple i hear and read the most 1 gram / per 1 lb of bodyweight. I recently did the V-Diet and packed on some decent muscle, while trimming 4 inches off my waist. Went from a 38 to a 34 in the 28 days. This showed me a great deficiency in my protien intake and eating patterns prior to the diet. Anyways, the guy i was chatting with used to be a huge mofo by his photos. But he was from the older school of lifting, working out in the 70 - 80’s. I dont doubt his experience, but wondering if maybe his knowledge is outdated. I respect him much… anyone who used to lift with Arnold back before he was popular has my respect for gym info. Anyways he is stuck on the principle that our body in 1 sitting can only use 20 -25 grams / protien. Then proceeded to explain that the companies with these 50 gram protien shakes are scammin the system cause you can only use 20, thus need a constantly supply in the system not gorge. I was thinking about the bodies “usage rate” of protien… cause the body absorbs/uses different protiens at different levels. Does anyone know a article or where i can find some solid research on protien not just opinion or yea you should take this much but im not sure why. Any direction would be greatly appreciated. [/quote]“The Nutrient Timing System” is a book with contributions by John Berardi, and has some info about this, as does a book called “The Sports Supplement Encylopedia.”

You’ll read about this exact argument, and it is debunked, though I don’t remember the specifics. Our bodies can, in fact, ingest and “handle” more than 20-25 grams of protein in one sitting. Consumption of 80 grams may even be sufficiently absorbed. But yeah, 20-25 grams as a max? That’s bullshit. Hell, a lot of “hardgainers” are told to consume at least 60 g per meal…

Might be some useful info in reading this article: http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_119prot

Also, I know that JB in particular talks about the difference between protein needs if the goal is simply health vs. the needs of a trained athlete. If you do a search, you should be able to find the article.

On a related note, JB, Mike Roussell, LL, Dave Barr (and others here) also speak to TEF (thermic effect of feeding) in regards to protein consumption. Because ingestion of protein generally produces an increase in metabolism by about 30% (vs. 6% for carbs and 4% for fat) increased protein consumption also has benefits in the realm of changing your body composition.

If I am not mistaken, JB talks at one point about the idea that even if your body cannot utilize all the protein you take in, the added protein will still probably result in a higher TEF which long term can aid in fat loss. On this subject, please read some of these guys as I am not sure I am summarizing 100% correctly.

This last part doesn’t necessarily speak to your question directly, but I thought it might help reinforce your argument to eat more than 20-25 g of protein in a sitting.

Cheers!

I always love these silly generalizations that people spout. You can only digest 30 grams of protein at one time? Are we talking about a 90lb sedate female or a 350lb NFL linebacker who trains all day? There are just too many variables involved to make blanket statements like this.

So true. A great reminder.

not to mention the fact that most stone age foragers still on earth today are able to consume diets with more than 1g/lb of animal protein even after being pushed to the most margial environments. also they exhibit extremely low rates of cancers, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, the list goes on.

and we are trying to figure out how little we can get by on.

lets see, our cells are little factories which rely on proteins as machinery (not to mention all the signaling peptides in the endocrine and paracrine systems). increasing protein intake increases whole body protein turnover, including organ tissue which processes these nutrients. so limiting protein to minimal need, limits the replacement of the cellular apparatus which performs the work.

oddly enough, like real machinery, cellular machinery wears out. reactive oxidative species and all. so this would be rate of aging increasing. which means you are dying faster. obviously the system as a whole will be less productive and unable to replace or repair machinery at optimal levels.

so in summary, eat less protein, die faster, and leave more resources for me, cause for every animal you don’t eat, i’m gonna have three (oh ya veggies, fruit and healthy fats too).

Thanks all for some direction on where to look for this info. Sounded weird to me being almost everything ive read is 1gm/ per pound.

This topic comes up once every other month.