Protein Question

Pure Protein Bars list Hydrolyzed Bovine Collagen as an ingredient. Can anyone at T-Mag tell me what this protein is, and if it is useful to the body?

I was doing some research on marshmallows with/wihtout gelatin. I suspect that HBC is some relative. Collagen is the protein found in collective tissues ligaments & skin. This HBC stuff would be from cows and probably full of amino acids, so i guess its useful to th body.
It has lots of applications like in assisting tissue regenerating in large wounds - i think the ER packed my brothers arm with some clear goop which was partly hydrolyxed BC, after he came off his bike. Do those bars taste ok? :slight_smile:

I believe hbc is not a complete protein. like rach said it can help keep ligaments healthy. It seems expensive when you can buy jello for $.25 a box.

Hydrolyzed bovine collagen (HBC) is an enzymatically predigested protein derived for the most part from cow cartilage (although depending on the source its derivation may also include hooves). HBC provides the following amino acids: Alanine; Arginine; Aspartic Acid; Cystine; Glutamic Acid; Glycine Histidine; Hydroxylysine; Hydroxyproline; Isoleucine; Leucine; Lysine; Methionine; Phenylalanine; Proline; Serine; Threonine; Tyrosine; and Valine. (Although the list sounds impressive, the various quantities of each AA are not optimal for myocellular repair; thus, it’s not an optimal protein for bodybuilding purposes.) HBC is primarily sold as an OTC supplement in three forms: (1) the primary or adjunct protein in food replacement bars; (2) weight loss aids (e.g., “Calorad”); and (3) cartilage support aids (e.g., “ArthRed”). Claims of HBC’s weight loss benefits have never been proven and have come under fire from a number of reputable health organizations. HBC had been proven to promote healing of skin tissue wounds in healthy animals. (See, e.g., Effects of a hydrolyzed collagen dressing on the healing of open wounds in dogs. Swaim SF, et al., Am J Vet Res 2000 Dec;61(12):1574-8. “The hydrophilic property of HBC may cleanse contaminated wounds with the body’s homeostatic fluids and enhance early wound epithelialization.”)

Thanks for the feedback. For anyone who’s interested, it was a Strawberry Cheesecake Pure Protein Bar, and it actually tasted pretty good. However, it lists 7g carbs, but they don’t list the additional 18 or so grams of glycerol. So, keep that in mind.