T Nation

Protein Question

I know I need a high quality post-workout shake for recovery. However, I am allergic to both milk and egg products, which limits my shake selections. I know soy is not an ideal choice either… Does anyone have any suggestions??

[quote]Veck23 wrote:
I know I need a high quality post-workout shake for recovery. However, I am allergic to both milk and egg products, which limits my shake selections. I know soy is not an ideal choice either… Does anyone have any suggestions?? [/quote]

If you don’t want to try soy (and I might be hesitant to comsume it in that quantity), then forget the shake. I know quite a few guys that skip the shake bar entirely at the gym, head home and get real food instead. If you are looking for immediate convenience try eating a banana then go get a real meal somewhere. The banana should slow catabolism until you can get to the table.

You could also try some enzymes with your post-workout shake, like Lactaid or Fast Food Enzymes.

[quote]Veck23 wrote:
I know I need a high quality post-workout shake for recovery. However, I am allergic to both milk and egg products, which limits my shake selections. I know soy is not an ideal choice either… Does anyone have any suggestions?? [/quote]

Time your meal sometime before your workout, that way the nutrients will already be in your system.

The trick is to eat enough to supply the nutrients, but not so much that you can’t workout.

Tuna Sandwitch!

• fruit for additional carbs.

What does everyone think about rice protein?? Is that any better than soy?

[quote]Veck23 wrote:
What does everyone think about rice protein?? Is that any better than soy?[/quote]

I have not personally tried it, Mike Mahler uses it and has a good physique and he is strong so it must be good.

Poping free form aminos and some BCAA’s would be my pick.

[quote]Papa wrote:
Poping free form aminos and some BCAA’s would be my pick.[/quote]

You’d have to pop a ton of amino acid pills to get an appreciable amount of protein to cover one’s post-workout needs.

[quote]basementD wrote:
Veck23 wrote:
What does everyone think about rice protein?? Is that any better than soy?

I have not personally tried it, Mike Mahler uses it and has a good physique and he is strong so it must be good. [/quote]

Rice protein may be great, but this logic is lousy.

Some people are strong and have great bodies despite doing many things inefficiently.

Many of the greatest athletes can follow half-assed training programs and diets and still be seemingly untouchable.

Try Surge. See what happens. It is possible you may not be alergic to hydrolyzed whey protein. If you are … bummer.

Go to the health food store. I have seen rice protein, goat milk protein, soy (poor choice) protein. There is also pea protein. Try these if Surge is a problem.

If you can not handle protein powders then eat food. There are other sources of protein (beef, turkey, chicken, tuna, samon, etc…).

There are methods to get over food alergies.

I also have trouble with milk and egg products, I’ve tried ON’s 100% Whey Protein with no problems so far. It contains digestive ensymes that supposedly help with that sort of thing, plus it tastes pretty good (I’ve on tried the chocolate flavor). It might be something to try…