Protein Powders

Hey everyone I’m new to this so just have a couple questions. I’m 5’10 160 and looking to bulk to a lean 175.

I try to be as natural as possible and eat good clean foods, because if I don’t I just feel like shit. So I’m wondering if protein powders are necessary? Like if I’m eating a shitload of meat/veggies daily do I really need to take protein shakes?

Also, What supplements are important when doing a healthy bulk. Currently I am taking D, Fish oil, and Calcium.

Any help is appreciated!

Since you weigh 160, you probably don’t know how to eat a shitload of meat. Learning how to do that would be great. You don’t NEED protein powders, but it’s a very easy way to get more protein.

Why do you say meat and veggies? Are you doing low carb?

I’m usually a pretty understanding guy, but when people suggest that protein powder and creatine constitutes being “unnatural” I just have to shake my head.

[quote]kakno wrote:

Why do you say meat and veggies? Are you doing low carb?[/quote]

My guess is that he’s going on the vaunted low carb, low fat bulk that will leave him an amazingly jacked 175 at 5’10".

OP: Failure to launch.

[quote]overstand wrote:
I’m usually a pretty understanding guy, but when people suggest that protein powder and creatine constitutes being “unnatural” I just have to shake my head.[/quote]

First of all I’m not trying to criticize and say that at all. I’m just trying to say that I don’t usually feel that well after them - so I try to stick with whole foods.

My diet is high fat, high protein and I am trying to minimize carbs. On training days I am upping my carbs. So yes I am trying to do this in a low carb fashion, if possible.

Anyways, if anyone is looking to help I’d appreciate it.

You don’t need them, are you tracking your calories? Track them for a week without changing anything and see where you end up. You need to tailor your needs around what eating schedule works best for you.

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:
You don’t need them, are you tracking your calories? Track them for a week without changing anything and see where you end up. You need to tailor your needs around what eating schedule works best for you.[/quote]

K… I am using a program that does this so i’ll do that for the next week.
Do many people around here do the low crab approach? I’m interested in IF too.

[quote]Einzakin wrote:

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:
You don’t need them, are you tracking your calories? Track them for a week without changing anything and see where you end up. You need to tailor your needs around what eating schedule works best for you.[/quote]

Do many people around here do the low crab approach? I’m interested in IF too.[/quote]
Only reason i say that is, with a low carb approach…you really need to pile in the fatty meats and what not. To the point where it’s uncomfortable, since your trying to put on mass.

Having carbs around your workout seems to be the best route. So your interested in IF’ing and low carb? Seems like a bad idea, your going to have to eat a shitload in that 8 hours to hit your calorie goal. Lol

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:

[quote]Einzakin wrote:

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:

Do many people around here do the low crab approach? I’m interested in IF too.[/quote]
Only reason i say that is, with a low carb approach…you really need to pile in the fatty meats and what not. To the point where it’s uncomfortable, since your trying to put on mass.

Having carbs around your workout seems to be the best route. So your interested in IF’ing and low carb? Seems like a bad idea, your going to have to eat a shitload in that 8 hours to hit your calorie goal. Lol[/quote]

Haha, yeah I wasn’t sure if those things would work together. But I like the idea of giving the body a rest and eating huge meals, instead of having this 6-8 meals a day - which can be tough to do with some people.

I’ll prob just try the low carb, I eat high fat meats but also consume avocados, nuts, oils etc. The only thing I can’t get away from yet is the beer on weekends - still in UNI ha and do not want to give up partying just yet.

[quote]Einzakin wrote:

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:

[quote]Einzakin wrote:

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:

Having carbs around your workout seems to be the best route. So your interested in IF’ing and low carb? Seems like a bad idea, your going to have to eat a shitload in that 8 hours to hit your calorie goal. Lol[/quote]

Haha, yeah I wasn’t sure if those things would work together. But I like the idea of giving the body a rest and eating huge meals, instead of having this 6-8 meals a day - which can be tough to do with some people.

I’ll prob just try the low carb, I eat high fat meats but also consume avocados, nuts, oils etc. The only thing I can’t get away from yet is the beer on weekends - still in UNI ha and do not want to give up partying just yet.
[/quote]
Nothing wrong with 2-3 huge meals, or partying on the weekends. Just do your thing and enjoy it, lol just don’t delude yourself and think that the drinking is going to help though (which you obviously know).

[quote]overstand wrote:
I’m usually a pretty understanding guy, but when people suggest that protein powder and creatine constitutes being “unnatural” I just have to shake my head.[/quote]

If you’re referring to the unnatural as in someone who is on steroid, then regard my following post.

The OP was not implying that protein powder was unnatural in the AAS way, but rather unnaturally made, as in processed and what not.

If you were referring to the natural/unnatural foodwise, then disregard this.

[quote]Rocky2 wrote:

[quote]overstand wrote:

If you’re referring to the unnatural as in someone who is on steroid, then regard my following post.

The OP was not implying that protein powder was unnatural in the AAS way, but rather unnaturally made, as in processed and what not.

If you were referring to the natural/unnatural foodwise, then disregard this.[/quote]

I’m glad you came in to say this as I was about to. Yeah, I really don’t think the OP is using the word natural the way it usually gets used on T-Nation.

The one thing about protein powders beyond what we already know( a good source of protein and aminos in a delicious and convenient form) but you just feel more like a true lifter if you have a protein shake after your workout.
I don’t care if there’s real food waiting for me later…that protein shake makes me feel all good inside.

hahha…i remember my first protein shake lol …was an EAS shake…

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]Rocky2 wrote:

[quote]overstand wrote:

If you were referring to the natural/unnatural foodwise, then disregard this.[/quote]

I’m glad you came in to say this as I was about to. Yeah, I really don’t think the OP is using the word natural the way it usually gets used on T-Nation.

The one thing about protein powders beyond what we already know( a good source of protein and aminos in a delicious and convenient form) but you just feel more like a true lifter if you have a protein shake after your workout.
I don’t care if there’s real food waiting for me later…that protein shake makes me feel all good inside.[/quote]

ha yeah I see what you mean. That’s exactly how I feel after a Rib eye following my workout.

Protein shake blend first thing in the morning, and then later in the evening,immediately after my workout. In between, just have shit loads of meat and beans.

powders are more about a time issue than anything else . for 200/250+ grams of pro from whole food a day is a pain in the chuff . powders are not magic just a time saver and personally after working out hard for 90 mins i cant be bothered to knock up something so a shake or my fav natrual low fat yogurt cheerios n whey just hits the spot . also imo and my experience trying to bulk on low carbs is possible but a lot harder a bit like spankin your monkey while wearing boxing gloves . as for if’ing while bulkin ive tried it and thats possible but found it too hard to get the cals in during your feeding window. save the if’ing for when youre dieting ( this is what i do).

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]Rocky2 wrote:

[quote]overstand wrote:

I don’t care if there’s real food waiting for me later…that protein shake makes me feel all good inside.[/quote]

Seriously. I always have a drink of some type during my workout. Usually it’s something big like 2 liters of water mixed with some type of carb+protein (usually Anaconda :slight_smile: ). It just gets me in my zone for some reason lol

[quote]lia67 wrote:
powders are more about a time issue than anything else . for 200/250+ grams of pro from whole food a day is a pain in the chuff . powders are not magic just a time saver and personally after working out hard for 90 mins i cant be bothered to knock up something so a shake or my fav natrual low fat yogurt cheerios n whey just hits the spot . also imo and my experience trying to bulk on low carbs is possible but a lot harder a bit like spankin your monkey while wearing boxing gloves . as for if’ing while bulkin ive tried it and thats possible but found it too hard to get the cals in during your feeding window. save the if’ing for when youre dieting ( this is what i do).[/quote]

KK this kind of answers my question… I may start using some whey if I can’t get enough protein/calories from regular food.

What are your recommendations on things like protein intake per pound… is it like 1.5?
Cause if so I may have to start adding some to my morning smoothie

Ps I have some boxing gloves I may test out your idea haha

what i do when dietin is cals at 12 x lbm ,pro at 1.25g per lb lbm , 30% of cals from fat and the rest from carbs .i’ll have half my carbs(cheerios) 30 mins before w/o with 10g bcaa and the other half(cheerios again) pwo with no fat the rest of the day all carbs from vegs and i dont bother counting the carbs in them .
IF 16/8 3 meals a day inc pwo .