T Nation

Protein Powder- What to Look For?

This post was edited July 5th, 2 pm CT (U.S.) with updated info.

6 ft, 175 pounds

8:30 am - 4-5 eggs
11:30 am - 6 oz chicken or 2 small steak sandwiches with 1 cup rice or veggies
2 pm - 6 oz chicken with 1 cup rice or veggies
4 pm - PB sandwich
6 pm - Some sort of meat (chicken, steak, pork, hamburger) with vegetables and/or potatoes
8 or 9 pm - Leftover meat from 6 pm meal with veggies and/or potatoes

I have fruit usually at some point in the day

I am trying to get stronger, while trying to lose body fat or at worst don’t gain any more fat. Can anyone recommend changes to my diet or a good protein drink. I’m thinking about getting Grow! Whey and drinking a serving of that every day. Should I also get Surge for my PWO? I am just starting Bill Starr’s 5x5.

Ok, first thing first. It looks like you need to be eating more food if you want to get stronger. Your second and fourth meals (PB sandwiches) lack significant protein. Fix this. The protein powder you buy depends on what you need and your goals. If your looking for a protein powder for after your workout, I’d recommend a whey protein/carb mixture. If not, just a simple whey protein will do. You sound like ordering here from the site is not an option. If it is, I’d recommend that you do. No tax, free shipping, plus high quality protein.

Anyone got suggestions for a good unflavored whey protein. I want a protein without any artificial sweetners.

[quote]elusive wrote:
Ok, first thing first. It looks like you need to be eating more food if you want to get stronger. Your second and fourth meals (PB sandwiches) lack significant protein. Fix this. The protein powder you buy depends on what you need and your goals. If your looking for a protein powder for after your workout, I’d recommend a whey protein/carb mixture. If not, just a simple whey protein will do. You sound like ordering here from the site is not an option. If it is, I’d recommend that you do. No tax, free shipping, plus high quality protein.[/quote]

So when I get protein powder, would I want to replace my PB meals with the protein powder?

Optimum Nutrition sells 100% Whey Natural, no artifical anything. However, I think they only come flavored.

Actually I dont really care if its flavored, its just that the flavored stuff ususally has artificial sweetner.

Thanks for the suggestion I ll check it out.

[quote]bostonbigticket wrote:
Anyone got suggestions for a good unflavored whey protein. I want a protein without any artificial sweetners.[/quote]

Grow! Whey sold on this website is a natural flavor, and mixes great with just about anything (water, milk, Gatorade, etc).

Pretty good value also.

Grow! Whey is great, but has artifical flavoring added. It says so in the ingredients.

Grow! Whey is awesome and dirt cheap. Seriously, try it out!

your protein intake is probably “ok”, but the rest of your diet sucks. You should worry about a carb and fat “supplement” (meaning food)

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
your protein intake is probably “ok”, but the rest of your diet sucks. You should worry about a carb and fat “supplement” (meaning food)[/quote]

Like what kind of food? I need suggestions/ideas, cause I guarentee I don’t have good food around the house, so I need to get some.

Didn’t you create a thread with that exact same question? Didn’t you get answers? http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2276477
You also need to eat more, for example. Your first meal your having 3 eggs… thats 210-240 cals depending on the size of the egg. 210cals for breakfast? You’d be wasting your money on protein supps if your eating isn’t in line.

go get pro complex its the best hands down! pretty much everything has a sweetner

[quote]supabeast wrote:
Grow! Whey is awesome and dirt cheap. Seriously, try it out![/quote]

Agreed.

why is anyone even recommending protein powder in this thread? anyone notice that he’s basically eating nothing but protein all day anyways?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
why is anyone even recommending protein powder in this thread? anyone notice that he’s basically eating nothing but protein all day anyways?[/quote]

Depending on the “meat” it still isn’t that much protein.

But your correct that he should be eating more then just protein and bread.

This is the article he needs:

Plus every nutrition article on this website.

Hell, he needs every article on this website.

[quote]elusive wrote:
Didn’t you create a thread with that exact same question? Didn’t you get answers? http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2276477

[/quote]

I did make a thread like this, but I changed my diet around and thought a new topic with updated information would be better then trying to post this stuff in my old thread. Diet still isn’t good though, so no more new threads. I will just keep posting in this one and hope I can get advice.

Take the advice from that last thread at least. You need to make your meals larger. Like I already said, have a bigger breakfast. Your PB sandwich meals don’t have enough protein. Your chicken or meat meals don’t have enough calories. Add either more eggs, oatmeal, bread to your breakfast. Add eggs, protein shake, or meat to your PB meals. Add fruits and veggies (greens and starched like potatoes) or rice to your meat meals.

[quote]fisch wrote:
elusive wrote:

I did make a thread like this, but I changed my diet around and thought a new topic with updated information would be better then trying to post this stuff in my old thread. Diet still isn’t good though, so no more new threads. I will just keep posting in this one and hope I can get advice.[/quote]

I’m confused, did you read the article that he posted to? Does your diet look anything like the “7 habits”? Read. Then think. Then post.

[quote]elusive wrote:
You need to make your meals larger. Like I already said, have a bigger breakfast. Your PB sandwich meals don’t have enough protein. Your chicken or meat meals don’t have enough calories. Add either more eggs, oatmeal, bread to your breakfast. Add eggs, protein shake, or meat to your PB meals. Add fruits and veggies (greens and starched like potatoes) or rice to your meat meals. [/quote]

Okay, I can add a couple eggs easy to my breakfast. I should be able to add a chicken to my first PB meal. I can add rice (have to get some) to my 3rd meal. I usually have veggies or potatoes for my 5th meal (I forgot to mention that), so I can just re-heat them for my 6th meal. New schedule:

8:30 - 5 eggs
11:30 - 6 oz chicken, 1 cup rice
2:30 pm - 6 oz chicken, 1 cup rice
4:30 pm - Protein shake
6 pm - some type of meat with veggies or potatoes
8 pm - leftover meat with veggies or potatoes

Is that better?