Protein Powder Taste Test

Hey dudes. Pretty self explantory. Review all the protein powders you’ve tried based purely on taste.

Biotest
Metabolic Drive Vanilla 5/5
Metabolic Drive Chocolate 3/5
Metabolic Drive Strawberry 2/5
Metabolic Drive Banana 2/5

Optimum Nutrition
Cookies n Creme 3/5
Rocky Road 1/5
Double Rich Chocolate 3/5
Chocolate Casein 2/5
Fruit Punch 1/5
Strawberry Banana 1/5

Syntrax
Matrix 5.0 Chocolate 2/5
Chocolate Truffle 4.5/5

MHP
Banana Cream Probolic-SR 1/5
Cookies n Creme Probolic-SR 1/5

• Both of these are absolutely horrible.

Dymatize
Butter Cream Toffee 1/5
Chocolate Mint 4/5
Rich Chocolate 3/5
12 Hour Chocolate 1/5

I’ll add mine

EAS 100% Whey
Strawberry 2/5
Banana 1/5
Chocolate 3/5

ON 100% Whey
Double Rich Chocolate 4/5
Banana Cream 2/5
Pumpkin Pie 4/5
Vanilla Chai Latte 5/5

ON 100% Micellar Casein (judged on a pure-casein scale - a pure micellar casein is NOT going to taste or mix as well as a casein/whey blend)

Chocolate 3/5
Vanilla 2/5
Banana 4/5

ON Pro Complex
Strawberry 3/5
Rocky Road 1/5

Those are all the proteins I’ve been using in the past year or so. I’ve used many others when I used to work out in high school, but I’d have to dig deep into the memory banks to recall how they tasted. I know MetRX tasted like pure aspartame, and Myoplex was like drinking cake batter. I used to like Prolab’s whey products though.

ON

Casein:
Chocolate 3/5
Vanilla 1/5

Whey:
Strawberry: 2/5
Chocolate: 4/5
Gingerbread: 4/5
Egg nog: 5/5
Vanilla: 1/5

Pro Complex Chocolate 4/5

VPX
Zero Impact Chocolate 5/5
Zero Impact Vanilla 5/5
Zero Impact Graham Cracker 5/5
Zero Carb Graham Cracher 5/5

Cytosport
Muscle Milk Chocolate 4/5
Muscle Milk Chocolate Malt 5/5
*too bad the nutrient profile sucks ass

MHP Probolic
Cookies and Creme 3/5

Labrada Lean Body RTD: 5/5

Prolab Lean mass complex cinn oatmeal: 5/5

Syntrax Nectar
crystal sky: 4/5

Met-Rx protein plus: god awful does not deserve a rating

finally i decided to get the custom shit. those are awesome. i would like to try Biotest in the future.

MRI
Pro Nos Banana 4/5
Pro Nos Chocolate 4/5

Six Star Muscle

Whey 5/5

[quote]TrentonJohn01 wrote:
MRI
Pro Nos Banana 4/5
Pro Nos Chocolate 4/5

Six Star Muscle

Whey 5/5[/quote]

these proteins suck

Are you saying they taste bad or they have poor blends of proteins and ingredients?

I saw people put ON protein but not ON 100%whey vanilla ice cream. I give that one a 5, it’s what i mix in my smoothies.

[quote]TrentonJohn01 wrote:
Are you saying they taste bad or they have poor blends of proteins and ingredients?[/quote]

yes, pro nos has a lot of fillers and extra crap you don’t need while six star is mainly whey concentrate, hello bloating.

The worst tasting protein I have ever tasted is ON Casein. It was several times worse than the stuff I had almost 20 years ago. I almost gagged when I tried it and this is from someone who thinks straight hydrolyze whey isn’t that bad.

bpeck

Edit: forgot to mention it was the chocolate flavor

At Large Nutrition proteins are excellent. Great taste, high quality – great stuff.

Chris “Ox” Mason is one of the founders, for what that’s worth.

[quote]bpeck wrote:
The worst tasting protein I have ever tasted is ON Casein. It was several times worse than the stuff I had almost 20 years ago. I almost gagged when I tried it and this is from someone who thinks straight hydrolyze whey isn’t that bad.

bpeck

Edit: forgot to mention it was the chocolate flavor[/quote]

Any 100% micellar casein is going to taste like that. There’s a reason why 99% of the “casein proteins” on the market are casein/whey blends :wink:

I rarely drink casein straight now - since the V-Diet I have taken to mixing it with whey in a 50/50 ratio. Mixes great, tastes fine, and you can’t beat the profile!

ON came out with a new flavour of casein - cookies and cream. I am going to try that this summer, along with their cookies and cream whey. I’ll let you all know how I think each tastes - whey, casein, and the blend.

EAS
Vanilla - 4/5
Chocolate - 2.5/5
Advantage Edge Chocolate 1/5

Gold Standard
Vanilla 4/5
Chocolate 3/5

Allmax
Vanilla 4.5/5

Dymatize
Vanilla Casein 4/5

IDS
Vanilla Isolate 5/5

MuscleMilk Chocolate 6/5

Syntha 6 Vanilla 3.5/5
Syntha 6 Cookies & Cream 4.5/5

I’m one of those people who’s willing to try a variety of brands and flavors.

Biotest
Metabolic Drive Chocolate 5/5

EAS
Myoplex Chocolate 3/5
Myoplex Strawberry 3/5

Dymatize
Elite Whey Chocolate 1/5

BSN
Lean Dessert Banana Nut Bread 4/5
Lean Dessert Chocolate Coconut 4/5
Lean Dessert Cinnamon Roll 3/5
Syntha 6 Vanilla 5/5
Syntha 6 Mochachino 4/5

ON
100% Whey Double Chocolate 5/5
100% Whey French vanilla 4/5
100% Whey Chocolate mint 3/5
100% Whey Strawberry 3/5
100% Whey Cookies N Crème 4/5
100% Whey Banana 3/5
100% Whey Gingerbread 4/5
Pro-Complex Rocky Road 4/5
Pro-Complex Chocolate 5/5
Pro-Complex Caramel Nut 4/5
Pro-Complex Gainer Chocolate 5/5
Pro-Complex Gainer Strawberry 4/5
Pro-Complex Gainer Vanilla 4/5

MHP
Up your Mass Chocolate 4/5
Up your Mass Vanilla 4/5

Cytosport
Musclemilk Chocolate 3/5
Musclemilk Chocolate Peanut Butter 3/5
EvoPro Tropical Blitz 3/5

MetRX
Ultramyosyn Chocolate 3/5
Ultramyosyn Cookies N Crème 2/5

Next
Designer Whey Chocolate 3/5

PVL
Whey Gourmet Strawberry Banana 5/5
Whey Gourmet Blueberry 5/5

[quote]cpcloud wrote:
TrentonJohn01 wrote:
Are you saying they taste bad or they have poor blends of proteins and ingredients?

yes, pro nos has a lot of fillers and extra crap you don’t need while six star is mainly whey concentrate, hello bloating.[/quote]

My rating was on taste, not quality

Wow ON Casein is getting a bad rap here, I actually think its pretty good. I’ve had both the chocolate and vanilla and like them both. Its also not 100% micellar, its both micellar and caseinate. Its a great deal though, $35 for 58 servings, each serving 24g protein.

And Chris “Ox” Mason is on the Mens Health boards alot, promoting AtLarge Nutrition. Alot of people swear by Nitrean.

The only thing that tastes better than Metabolic Drive is Muscle Milk, but it ought to with all the extra shit in it.

LTN -
ISO-PRO XS chocolate 2/5
ISO-PRO XS vanilla 1/5

Revolution Nutrition -
HIGH WHEY chocolate 4/5
HIGH WHEY vanilla 1/5
HIGH WHEY strawberry&banana 0/5 (don’t buy this shit unless you absolutely want to puke your meals #1 through 5)

have you guys tried kemistry’s procore? its a bit expensive but definetly worth it. especially if youre lactose-intolerant

Remembered a couple more…

Max Muscle Cookie Dough 3/5
ON Pro Complex Vanilla 2/5

Note:Reference to mixing means without a blender…

Dave Drapers Bomber Blend:Tastes like cake, mixes perfectly, even smells good, the BMW of proteins (listen to your wallet scream in agony)…

German American “Muscletein”:Taste like faux Ovaltine…A bit gritty as powder…Fairly good stuff but again,listen to your wallet scream in agony…

Beverly: Rich taste, mixes well(and;listen to your wallet scream in agony)…

Biotest Metabolic Drive: Not as tasty as Beverly, but top class equivalent stuff & mixes well. The Strawberry gives a needed break from the usual Vanilla/Choco monotony and worth it for that alone…(and listen to your $$$ fly away…)

Ergopharm: Good variety of flavors, decent but with a “chemical” aftertaste (the “Bovine Plasma” perhaps?), mixes lousy, always chunks up. (Patrick Arnold should be able to do better)…(and again with the screaming…)

Max Muscle:Gets the job done, the “Tar-jay” of proteins, but you’d better like the flavor of cocoanut…mediocre mixing…

ON 100%Casien:Vanilla, The “Bipolar” protein: Tastes good and bad at the same time. Good shit if you can handle the nasty “chemical” aftertaste…

OK, enough already…PS: All taste better with a scoop of Superfood added!!!

As you can tell, I’m a bit of a “protien snob” spending Ferrarri upscale on a trailer park budget, but I reckon it you cant drink it, you wont use it, so it’s better in the long run to spend the $$$…I’m such a slut (Batting eyelashes provocatively, like Daffy Duck!)…/;-D