T Nation

Protein Powder Science

It is impressive to me that protein powders have a good shelf life and remain safe to eat in room temperature. I imagine this is because they are dry enough that bacteria can’t grow, much like with beef jerky.

So, I ask the question: why not chicken protein powder, or turkey? We have several vegetable sources, dairy such whey and casein, but the only meat based protein powder I know of is egg. It seems to me that any lean meat ought to be able to be processed like the others into protein powder form. Why not?

Because it would probably taste like shit.

[quote]Big Dan wrote:
It is impressive to me that protein powders have a good shelf life and remain safe to eat in room temperature. I imagine this is because they are dry enough that bacteria can’t grow, much like with beef jerky.

So, I ask the question: why not chicken protein powder, or turkey? We have several vegetable sources, dairy such whey and casein, but the only meat based protein powder I know of is egg. It seems to me that any lean meat ought to be able to be processed like the others into protein form. Why not?[/quote]

You might be onto something…

Blend up a nice chicken or tuna smoothie and get back to us.

[quote]Big Dan wrote:
It is impressive to me that protein powders have a good shelf life and remain safe to eat in room temperature. I imagine this is because they are dry enough that bacteria can’t grow, much like with beef jerky.

So, I ask the question: why not chicken protein powder, or turkey? We have several vegetable sources, dairy such whey and casein, but the only meat based protein powder I know of is egg. It seems to me that any lean meat ought to be able to be processed like the others into protein powder form. Why not?[/quote]

They already have that…Its called chicken and turkey.

You can get protein by drinking milk…but you cant get JUST protein. The idea I suppose was to create a source of JUST protein(for the most part) to drink. Chicken and Turkey are basically already just protein.

Wow this brings back memories…

Weider used to have beef and vegetable protein powders (back when smilax was the best anabolic supplement around), but I don’t think they sold very well.

Although such powders could be developed they wouldn’t be overly useful in lieu of what we already have.

I would like some pure concentrated beef protein

I bet the taste could be overcome. I’ve tried various forms of plain whey and casein protein powder and they didn’t taste too good, but the flavored versions are great.

I would like a company to make beef, chicken, or turkey protein powder. I don’t think powdered fish would ever taste good.

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Wow this brings back memories…

Weider used to have beef and vegetable protein powders (back when smilax was the best anabolic supplement around), but I don’t think they sold very well.

Although such powders could be developed they wouldn’t be overly useful in lieu of what we already have.[/quote]

Dave, Beverly Ultra Size- contains beef plasma protein , I was always curious as to why it was added

chicken/beef/turkey powder would also be expensive

[quote]ftothe3 wrote:
chicken/beef/turkey powder would also be expensive[/quote]

how come? chikcen and turkey are pretty cheap

Protein powder are cheap because whey is a byproduct of the production of cheese so it might be cheaper to get it from there instead of doing all the processing like for medical grade whey protein. Whey also has a high BCAA content when compared to other proteins sources and boosts the immune system.
www.bodyactive-online.co.uk/supplements/
ingredients/wheyprot.asp

[quote]andrew_plamondon wrote:
Protein powder are cheap because whey is a byproduct of the production of cheese so it might be cheaper to get it from there instead of doing all the processing like for medical grade whey protein. Whey also has a high BCAA content when compared to other proteins sources and boosts the immune system.
www.bodyactive-online.co.uk/supplements/
ingredients/wheyprot.asp[/quote]

For me the benefit of chicken, turkey, or beef protein powder wouldn’t replace whey’s usefulness. The casein from dairy causes my acne to break out, but I handle whey ok. So for a slower digesting protein that I can use in shakes I have egg white powder, and I’ve also found actual eggs to blend well. I think more protein powder alternatives would be very useful for the lactose intolerant and people that don’t handle casein well.