T Nation

Protein Powder for Frequent Morning Use

I'd like to add protein powder to my breakfast smoothie, but I have heard that while whey is great for post-workout, it can cause insulin spikes, and I'd rather not have my energy go up-down too much in the morning. For regular use what would be the best source for protein powder (e.g., casein, or other)?

Been drinking whey in the morning for like 5 years and have zero issues with energy levels. I think you’ll be fine.

[quote]stevens2k wrote:
…I have heard that while whey is great for post-workout, it can cause insulin spikes…

[/quote]

So will every other protein rich food.

I have a scoop of whey in coffee just about every morning. If you’re really prone to insulin spikes and crashes, add some virgin coconut oil or heavy cream and you’ll be fine.

Awesome, thank you!

[quote]LiftingStrumpet wrote:
I have a scoop of whey in coffee just about every morning[/quote]

What do folks have against coffee that you must hurt it so? :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]tsantos wrote:

[/quote]

Dat “Cotein” (KOH-tein) can be some delicious stuff.

I drink coffee black more than any other way, but can’t deny that you can get some good latte like action with certain flavors.

[quote]tsantos wrote:

[/quote]

lol. I like my coffee in all colors and flavors…

like my men

That powdered stuff gives me the shits. Be careful with it.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]stevens2k wrote:
…I have heard that while whey is great for post-workout, it can cause insulin spikes…[/quote]
So will every other protein rich food. [/quote]
Pretty much this. Like the glycemic index, any insulin spike from protein needs to take into consideration any other foods (carbs, fiber, fat, and total calories) you have at the same time. A whey shake in water vs a whey shake in whole milk with peanut butter on toast, for example.

Metabolic Drive, with slower digesting micellar casein, has been a go-to “meal replacement”-type shake for tons of people. Mag-10, with faster digesting hydrolyzed casein, has been a go-to between-meal shake and peri-workout shake for tons of people.

Thank you for the great specific suggestions, Chris - I’ll check out Metabolic Drive in particular.