T Nation

Protein Overdose?

[quote]The_Grim_Reaper wrote:
Wtf? Too much protein is bad for you.Too much of anything can be bad for you. If any of you think that too much isn’t bad for you then you’re wrong.Too much protein is bad for your kidney etc…There are plenty of studys that have been done showing that too much protein isn’t good for you.Do a search on it. I’m sure you’ve passed 2nd grade right?Do it.[/quote]

That’s exactly what I thought.
[i]
References:

Google search function et al.

Plenty of studies

A study done in 1989

And besides, “your kidneys and liver can only handle so much protein. Like I said. Too much of ANYTHING can be bad for you. You don’t have to be Bill Gates to understand that.”[/i]

[quote]michael2507 wrote:
The_Grim_Reaper wrote:
Wtf? Too much protein is bad for you.Too much of anything can be bad for you. If any of you think that too much isn’t bad for you then you’re wrong.Too much protein is bad for your kidney etc…There are plenty of studys that have been done showing that too much protein isn’t good for you.Do a search on it. I’m sure you’ve passed 2nd grade right?Do it.

[i]
References:

Plenty of studies

A study done in 1989

And besides, “your kidneys and liver can only handle so much protein. Like I said. Too much of ANYTHING can be bad for you. You don’t have to be Bill Gates to understand that.”[/i][/quote]

I’m convinced.

tosses steak in the garbage along with all cannisters of protein and opens up a big 'ole can of Pudding

You guys need to calm down.Everyone has their opinions.Like your mom always said.EVERYTHIGN IN MODERATION.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
michael2507 wrote:
The_Grim_Reaper wrote:
Wtf? Too much protein is bad for you.Too much of anything can be bad for you. If any of you think that too much isn’t bad for you then you’re wrong.Too much protein is bad for your kidney etc…There are plenty of studys that have been done showing that too much protein isn’t good for you.Do a search on it. I’m sure you’ve passed 2nd grade right?Do it.

[i]
References:

Plenty of studies

A study done in 1989

And besides, “your kidneys and liver can only handle so much protein. Like I said. Too much of ANYTHING can be bad for you. You don’t have to be Bill Gates to understand that.”[/i]

I’m convinced.

tosses steak in the garbage along with all cannisters of protein and opens up a big 'ole can of Pudding[/quote]

[quote]baretta wrote:
protein killed my mother and raped my sister[/quote]

Shit! Then I bet it was also Protein that killed the Radio Star!

In my mind and in my car
We can’t rewind
We’ve gone too far
Put the blame
On my protein bar

(Apologies to all Buggles fans…)

You guys need to calm down.Everyone has their opinions.Like your mom always said.EVERYTHIGN IN MODERATION.[/quote]

We need to calm down? You’re the one typing in capitals and forgetting the blank after virtually every punctuation mark…

Yes, everyone is entitled to having their own opinions and I’m actually glad that they often differ. It gets ridiculous, though, when people try to pass opinions off as “medical facts” or “the truth”. That was the point I was trying to prove.

The only problem with an opinion is that it can be wrong.

It is my opinion that a 1,000 calorie a day diet will get me HYYOOOOGGGEEEE.

As a sidenote, there is a known disorder called MSUD. It is the body?s ability to use “three of the essential amino acids in protein”.

www.msud-support.org/overv.htm

A quote from the site:
“Long-term treatment of MSUD involves a carefully controlled diet which strictly limits dietary protein in order to prevent the accumulation of BCAAs in the blood.”

The symptoms start within a few days from birth, so no-one can have MSUD and be unaware of it.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
The only problem with an opinion is that it can be wrong.

It is my opinion that a 1,000 calorie a day diet will get me HYYOOOOGGGEEEE.[/quote]

It will! If you’re a midget.

Like I said.Too much of ANYTHING can be bad for you.[/quote]

I agree, but some things should just be banned outright, like dihydrogen monoxide:

http://www.dhmo.org

Why aren’t our governments protecting us from it!?

Maybe Canada could take the first step, they seem to be good at banning evil stuff like drugs and protein powders.

[quote]Kliplemet wrote:
after fat and carbohydrate it’s time to say protein is the devil[/quote]

But when we finally get rid of protein…what will we have left? Air?

Side note: By the way, air is also very bad for you. Recent studies show that we consume too much of it; in fact, we seem to inhale it non stop until it finally kills us. It’s time to realise that we are all air junkies.

Wow, look how touchy everyone gets with this subject.

Foolishness comes in believing that protein is bad AND in believing that it can never be bad.

Some clarifying points:

-As of now, protein has not been proven to cause liver and kidney damage. HOWEVER, it has not been disproven yet either. No one knows exactly how much protein or how long it will take a high protein diet to induce damage. So while the idea that protein harms the liver and kidneys isn’t fact, it’s not necessarily fiction, either.

-Protein has been strongly implicated in calcium loss from bones. This idea is not a myth, but many questions are still unanswered. Like with kidney and liver damage, the exact amounts are unclear. Also, because protein has been shown to enhance calcium absorption as well as excretion, scientists aren’t sure if the loss is related more to an off-balance ratio of protein to calcium in the diet.

-High protein diets have been implicated in higher rates of heart disease and cancer. Yet, let’s look below the surface. High protein diets usually mean high intakes of meat and cheese (Cheese consumption has risen drastically over the years) at the expense of fruits and vegetables. Meat and cheese are high in saturated fat, and if you don’t eat enough fruits and vegetables, you don’t consume the antioxidants and vitamins essential for warding off cancer. Furthermore, improperly prepared meat (i.e. burnt) does contain carcinogens. So, the connection between protein and disease is not direct; it’s not the protein that makes people sick, but rather the substances, or lack thereof, that accompany a high protein diet.

-It’s true that humans do not need a lot of protein. We use it very efficiently. NEED and OPTIMIZATION are different however. Optimization can refer to athletic performance, weight loss via satiety, etc…In the latter instances, for some people the increases are not that much - 10% to 20%. The desire for optimization has blown the “need” for more protein out of proportion. What result are Atkins dieters and athletes chugging protein powders all day. A little more than average is usually beneficial, but huge amounts are generally unnecessary, and as was stated before, POTENTIALLY harmful.

Protein is not a wonder-food. It is a chemical substance just like anything else that you ingest. It has its benefits and its side effects. We just have yet to detail those side-effects and establish appropriate limits.

Don’t stop eating protein, but don’t make love to it, either.

Everything is potentially harmful at some egregious level. This comes as common sense to those who have it. Obviously there’s a point where higher protein ingestion is not optimal, but that’s a lot different than what one particular posted claimed as fact.

Most, if not all, of the ribbing he got was because he was repeating an unfounded myth as fact.

No one has claimed that protein-rich foods should replace fruits or vegetables. Such a claim would have probably received equal ridicule.

As for the calcium lost through high protein diets, from what I’ve seen this loss in calcium is easily offset by approximately 1 tbsp worth of milk. I don’t have any references for this here at home though.

Thanks for the contribution, though. A centered response is always helpful.

[quote]Angelbutt wrote:

Don’t stop eating protein, but don’t make love to it, either.[/quote]

Advice for Foopa?

:wink:

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
Everything is potentially harmful at some egregious level. This comes as common sense to those who have it. Obviously there’s a point where higher protein ingestion is not optimal, but that’s a lot different than what one particular posted claimed as fact.

Most, if not all, of the ribbing he got was because he was repeating an unfounded myth as fact.

No one has claimed that protein-rich foods should replace fruits or vegetables. Such a claim would have probably received equal ridicule.

As for the calcium lost through high protein diets, from what I’ve seen this loss in calcium is easily offset by approximately 1 tbsp worth of milk. I don’t have any references for this here at home though.

Thanks for the contribution, though. A centered response is always helpful.

[/quote]

Very well stated and I would hope that the days of logging in and reading how some kid who weighs 130lbs is eating 700gr of protein a day because he heard a pro bodybuilder did it are long gone. I would hope most understand that balance nutritionally is necessary for health. However, no one knows any “ceiling dose” for protein that makes your kidneys fail. Anyone spreading the notion that you need to be overly concerned about whether you cross a threshold is equally on the wrong path. The goal should be balance and protein is not some wonder food that forces muscle growth. I gained more lean body mass in the shortest period of time when I was doing NO outside protein supplementation that didn’t come from my food intake. Protein is important, but no more important than carbs, fats and overall caloric intake in the weight room.

What bothers me are the extremists.

Why the fuck would I listen to the Rev. George Malkmus or Doug and Marilyn Polk about nutrition?

I don’t ask TC or Chris Shugart for spirtual advice.

Dan “Credibility Matters” McVicker

Oh, and if the New Testament supercedes the Old Testament, shouldn’t these people be eating fish and loaves, with maybe some (water-turned-to)wine?

Dan “WWJD?” McVicker

Some proteins can kill you. The Death Cap and Angel of Death Amanita(mushrooms) contain proteins that will kill you with just a few milligrams. There are also a few sea snakes and gastropods whose venom is protein based and can kill at less than that.
Therefore- All proteins are evil and should be banished. Hell, some of them even have death in the name!
I don’t know how you guys overlooked those.

[quote]Dan McVicker wrote:
Why the fuck would I listen to the Rev. George Malkmus or Doug and Marilyn Polk about nutrition?

I don’t ask TC or Chris Shugart for spirtual advice.

Dan “Credibility Matters” McVicker[/quote]

How about George Foreman? He could give you spiritual / nutritional advice.

|/ 3Toes

[quote]The3toedSloth wrote:

How about George Foreman? He could give you spiritual / nutritional advice.

|/ 3Toes

[/quote]

|/ 3Toes

[quote]Miserere wrote:
The_Grim_Reaper wrote:
Like I said.Too much of ANYTHING can be bad for you.

I agree, but some things should just be banned outright, like dihydrogen monoxide:

http://www.dhmo.org

Why aren’t our governments protecting us from it!?

Maybe Canada could take the first step, they seem to be good at banning evil stuff like drugs and protein powders.[/quote]

Yeah, fucking water, that stuff will kill you too.