Protein on the USCTrojan619 Diet?

Hi all:
I am brand new to these forums but have lurked for quite some time.

I’ve finally decided to take the plunge and really strap down and properly form a workout/nutrition plan.

I don’t think I’ll have any problems with the work-out plan as I have some previous experience (hit the weights when I was 18 but never really got any gains), but the nutrition aspect of it will be a bit of a challenge for me.

I have decided to follow in USCTrojan’s foot steps ( http://www.T-Nation.com/readPhysClin.do?id=1859240 ) however I am a bit concerned at the diet he was following.

I’ve taken the liberty to throw everything USC was instructed to eat into the FitDay software application…
On an off-day USC appears to eat 3,033 calories, 80g fat, 232g of carbs, and 366g of protein.

On an on-day USC eats 3,752 calories, 89g fat, 340g carbs, 474g of protein.

My biggest concern is the PROTEIN. 474g of PROTEIN.
Am I going to KILL myself following in USC footsteps?

I was impressed with his progress.

Let me know what you guys think.

thanks!!!

ps. I am 21 now, 5"11 and 145lbs (and definitely am an ectomorph…)

Don’t jump to that high a protein intake if you’re not used to it. Add an amount of protein you can tolerate, and then slowly build from there.

[quote]My biggest concern is the PROTEIN. 474g of PROTEIN.
Am I going to KILL myself following in USC footsteps? [/quote]

No, but your farts will kill others.

/thread

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
Don’t jump to that high a protein intake if you’re not used to it. Add an amount of protein you can tolerate, and then slowly build from there.[/quote]

This is absolutely crucial.

I used to drink an absurd amount of milk.

Do you think I’d be ready?

[quote]joefresh wrote:
I used to drink an absurd amount of milk.

Do you think I’d be ready?[/quote]

If you want to eat to get bigger and stronger, you’re going to have to be more specific than “an absurd amount”. How much exactly?

Regardless, there’s no way any of us can say “you are physically capable of eating x amount of protein per day, and if you don’t you shouldn’t even bother.”

What are you currently eating? Keep a log for a week or so and then add protein where you can. Check the scale to make sure it’s going in the right direction (meaning UP), and make sure the weight is not just going on your gut.

And remember to lift those weight things once in awhile too.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
Don’t jump to that high a protein intake if you’re not used to it. Add an amount of protein you can tolerate, and then slowly build from there.[/quote]

I disagree. USCTrojan didn’t “Taper” he just slammed the food until he got sick, and then did it again two hours later. If you are serious about gaining size, you will constantly have to eat until you feel sick. Eventually that feeling goes away, and you can eat even more. You have to push that envelope all day, every day.

You probably won’t be able to afford all the supps in the USCTrojan diet, so concentrate on Surge and Grow! Whey (they are the most important) and fill in the rest with whole foods until you hit the macros. A gallon a day of Whole Milk does some incredible and unexplainable things to your genetics.

OP, with your stats, you can gain a healthy 100 pounds just by adopting a consistent “if you’re awake, you’re chewing” mindset and sticking to it for two years straight. You might gain a little fat, but remember you have skinny genetics, you can lose it in two months and be HUGE and RIPPED! I say go balls out, stay CONSISTENT, and watch all your limitations vanish.

-Sab

[quote]Sabastian525 wrote:
Doug Adams wrote:
Don’t jump to that high a protein intake if you’re not used to it. Add an amount of protein you can tolerate, and then slowly build from there.

I disagree. USCTrojan didn’t “Taper” he just slammed the food until he got sick, and then did it again two hours later. If you are serious about gaining size, you will constantly have to eat until you feel sick. Eventually that feeling goes away, and you can eat even more. You have to push that envelope all day, every day.

You probably won’t be able to afford all the supps in the USCTrojan diet, so concentrate on Surge and Grow! Whey (they are the most important) and fill in the rest with whole foods until you hit the macros. A gallon a day of Whole Milk does some incredible and unexplainable things to your genetics.

OP, with your stats, you can gain a healthy 100 pounds just by adopting a consistent “if you’re awake, you’re chewing” mindset and sticking to it for two years straight. You might gain a little fat, but remember you have skinny genetics, you can lose it in two months and be HUGE and RIPPED! I say go balls out, stay CONSISTENT, and watch all your limitations vanish.

-Sab[/quote]

We actually agree. What if he can only choke down 300 grams per day, and anything higher than that makes him puke? That’s what I meant by tolerate, not “oh just add a scoop of protein here or there, and then add a little more when you feel up to it.”

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
Sabastian525 wrote:
Doug Adams wrote:

-Sab

We actually agree. What if he can only choke down 300 grams per day, and anything higher than that makes him puke? That’s what I meant by tolerate, not “oh just add a scoop of protein here or there, and then add a little more when you feel up to it.”
[/quote]

Oh yeah, I agree there. I think this is what USCTrojan did, in fact. I recall him having a hard time choking down the food for the first two weeks or so, so he started eating protein bars and shakes and it helped a lot to get the cals down.

-Sab