Protein & Muscle

Just read an article that quoted Dr. John Ivy (Co-Author of Nutrient Timing)stating 0.9 to 1.5 grams of protien per pound of body weight is too much. He also stated that becasue this is an excessive amount of protein that most of it ends up being waste.

Can somebody tell me if this study is a fluke, or reliable?

He’s probably going off some studies that pointed towards something like .8g/lb maximum protein utilization. You would be better off taking in more protein than your body can use to build muslce. You have to get your energy from somewhere and protein is used like anything else to eat to provide that energy. It’s also got a very high thermic effect of feeding compared to carbs and fat, meaning that it takes more energy to digest and use protein for energy than it does other macronutrients. Eat a lot of protein since this way you’ll be sure to get more than enough for protein sysnthesis into muscle, and you’ll get a high TEF energy source, both helping you to look better naked. Hopefully that made some sense.

~Paul

Look up “protein cycling” in the 1998 archive.

You also have to remember that the bulk of studies are on the basis of an ‘average’ - i.e., inactive - person.

Is this for bodybuilding purposes or maintenance for average joe?

The numbers will vary greatly depending on what you’re trying to accomplish.

There may be one guy saying that 0.8 is more than enough, but if you look at the diets of any of the professionals around here, (“eg. the creation continues”) they all eat ~1.5 for general purposes. Cantazaro gave out a twice-a-day wo plan a while ago and then advised you to eat 2 grams/lb because it’s such an intense split (no anabolics either).

I think you have to take into consideration your training schedule, goals, and maybe even personal differences. Once you figure out all that, there’s still going to be dissagreement like there is in any other issue in this sport.

[quote]Sheamus wrote:
You also have to remember that the bulk of studies are on the basis of an ‘average’ - i.e., inactive - person.[/quote]

I understand that, but this was directed twords persons that do resistance training.

I need to get this guy’s book, but his study was directed towards resistance trainers wanting to build quality muscle. He stated that pre and post workout shakes with 3:2 carb:protein is the optimum way to go. That this is when maximum and beneficial absorption and use of protein will take place. He also stated that for the protein to work, you need maximum and quality carbs to make the muscle growth happen. I read a lot from John Berardi on this issue and he says some of the same things.

Guess I will experiment for 12 weeks with 0.8 g protein with my max shakes and meals pre and post workout and see what I find out.