T Nation

Protein Meal For Me & Roomates

Well the past couple of nights each roomate has made something. Last night it was Chili, Tonight it was a roast. Does anyone have a good idea for what I can make tommorrow. I want it to have an insane amount to protein. I also want it to be somewhat good, not just a bunch of grilled chicken breasts, you get the picture.

Also, I want it to take a little bit of time to make, but nothing that will take 3 hours or anything. I’m open to suggestions!

Get a big package of mixed cut pork chops. You can get pork chops for less then 2.00 dollars a pound. Get a bottle of steak and chop marinade. Then marinade them, and then put them on the george foreman or the frying pan. If you like, you can pour hot sauce on them just before eating. I had four of them for supper tonight.

Eh, burgers? Works for me.

buy 2-3 hole chicken and some instant rice

[quote]n3wb wrote:
buy 2-3 hole chicken and some instant rice [/quote]

These are a special breed of chicken that live in a big hole in the ground. Living below surface gives them a higher protein content over normal chickens. I ate a whole one last night.

[quote]n3wb wrote:
buy 2-3 hole chicken and some instant rice [/quote]

Whole chickens were going to be my vote as well simple and effective cheap as well.

Chicken Curry Stew

5 pound bag chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces (on a budget, 5 pound pk of chicken thighs, skin removed)

Garlic salt, pepper, oil

2 regular sized cans chicken broth

Large can Cream of Mushroom Soup

Cut up vegetables for stew (Carrots, Onion, Potato, Celery)

Curry powder

Thickener, such as whole wheat flour or corn starch, mixed with water

Heat around tT. oil in large pot. Add chicken, season with garlic salt and pepper, and sautee on High heat until the chicken is starting to brown. Add two cans of chicken broth, cover, and bring to a boil. Once it’s boiling, add the cream of mushroom soup and vegetables, bring to a boil, then turn down to medium low heat and simmer until the chicken and vegetables are done. Mix in curry powder to taste (2-3 T. usually), and turn heat to high. Thicken with mixture of water-thickener, then remove from heat. Spoon over brown rice.

This isn’t as “clean” as grilled chicken breasts and brown rice, but it’s budget friendly, wholesome, tasty and can feed a crowd. You can use the “healthy” cream of mushroom soup and low sodium chicken broth as well. It can also be made with beef stew meat, but the beef will require a slow, long cooking time of several hours, covered, in the broth until tender, before adding the other ingredients. If I need more protein in my meal, I’ll add a scoop of unflavored whey powder into my portion of the stew.

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
Get a big package of mixed cut pork chops. You can get pork chops for less then 2.00 dollars a pound. Get a bottle of steak and chop marinade. Then marinade them, and then put them on the george foreman or the frying pan. If you like, you can pour hot sauce on them just before eating. I had four of them for supper tonight.[/quote]

How long do I need to marinade them for?

[quote]Playboy wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:
Get a big package of mixed cut pork chops. You can get pork chops for less then 2.00 dollars a pound. Get a bottle of steak and chop marinade. Then marinade them, and then put them on the george foreman or the frying pan. If you like, you can pour hot sauce on them just before eating. I had four of them for supper tonight.

How long do I need to marinade them for?

[/quote]

I have marinaded them for as little as 30 minutes or as long as 2 days. The minimum should be an hour though, and the maxe should be a day.

If you can find one get a Pheasant, they are great.

[quote]Helga wrote:
n3wb wrote:

These are a special breed of chicken that live in a big hole in the ground. Living below surface gives them a higher protein content over normal chickens. I ate a whole one last night.[/quote]

do those ones live in holes too?

[quote]Phill wrote:
n3wb wrote:

Whole chickens were going to be my vote as well simple and effective cheap as well.[/quote]

What do you guys do with the beaks and feathers?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Phill wrote:
n3wb wrote:

Whole chickens were going to be my vote as well simple and effective cheap as well.

What do you guys do with the beaks and feathers?[/quote]

Cheap Halloween costumes.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Phill wrote:
n3wb wrote:

What do you guys do with the beaks and feathers?[/quote]

This has been covered already. Haven’t you ever read the bid_dasilva thread? Geez.

Holy shit Zap, you’re the one who mentioned the feathers and beaks in that thread.

My mind just got blown.

[quote]Playboy wrote:
Well the past couple of nights each roomate has made something. Last night it was Chili, Tonight it was a roast. Does anyone have a good idea for what I can make tommorrow. I want it to have an insane amount to protein. I also want it to be somewhat good, not just a bunch of grilled chicken breasts, you get the picture.

Also, I want it to take a little bit of time to make, but nothing that will take 3 hours or anything. I’m open to suggestions![/quote]

Are you at ISU, UI, UNI, or a private/community college? The answer has no bearing on my advice, I’m just curious.

If you have a crock pot, you can make a load of great tasting,protein packed meals that will feed you and your friends.I would avoid the hole chickens though, thier nutitional value has not been determined. However Whole chickens are great and cook well in a crock pot. Since you guys are college students this is a great way to eat if you are on a limited budget.

Everytime some college kid posts something about efficient, high protein meals, my heart goes out to them a little bit. I’m sure a lot of us can relate…there were one or two broke and hungry days during college.