T Nation

Protein Isolates

I’ve been lifting for some years now, and am always looking for the “edge” in nutrition. I recently watched a documentary on healthy eating. A lot of the information included things I already knew. However, they mentioned that a protein blend shouldn’t contain many ingredients, and should also not be an isolate.

As long as I have lifted, I’ve used Isolates. Is this just some propaganda?

I suppose that whether it is propaganda or an attempted-honest viewpoint depends on what else they are saying and doing.

There is an aspect to where they could come to such a conclusion in that there are valuable fractions in both whey and in casein. So a person might honestly conclude that any protein product should include both.

However, as generally the purpose is supplementation rather than sole dietary source of protein, the argument doesn’t follow either in principle or in practice.

But where a less extreme version could have value to it would be that if a person consumes only whey, or only casein, it’s at least worth considering whether all the times that they supplement are best served by that type, or whether perhaps at some times one type might be more suitable and at other times, another, as they do have differing qualities.

some people say that concentrates are better then isolates because they still have the Immunoglobulins intact where as Isolates do not (unless the company puts them back it)

because of this some people thing that concentrates are more anabolic.

I personally dont know what the truth is and still use Isolates.

Yes, thank you!

Actually when starting writing I meant to address that point, but wound up leaving it off.

It does I think fall in the same category: there are differing values to differing kinds of protein and so the thing is to match to needs rather than to have inflexible rules such “all proteins you use should or should not be an isolate, or should be whey, or should be a mix of casein and whey,” etc.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Yes, thank you!

Actually when starting writing I meant to address that point, but wound up leaving it off.

It does I think fall in the same category: there are differing values to differing kinds of protein and so the thing is to match to needs rather than to have inflexible rules such “all proteins you use should or should not be an isolate, or should be whey, or should be a mix of casein and whey,” etc.[/quote]

do you have an opinion on the immunoglobulins Mr Roberts?

If there really is any evidence that the Concentrates might be more anabolic/beneficial then the isolates then it would seem to be a shame to spend more on isolates.

Not all WPC’s have any particular amount of immunoglobulin to them. But where they are there, there is good reason to expect there to be value to them.

I don’t work specifically with protein filtration and so am not expert on technical aspects of the different processes, but there definitely are different methods that give different results: in other words, categorizing everything that is a “concentrate” together, and everything that is an “isolate” together, is really not so useful.

More important factors include, On mixing, is the protein fully solubilized? When that’s not the case, where there is some particulate nature, it seems that digestion can be poorer. Isolates generally do well here; some concentates do not. Is the lactose content higher than suitable for the individual, or according to desired limit on carb intake? Again, here isolates generally do well, but a given concentrate may be perfectly fine as good or better than a given isolate and may be perfectly fine. Does the protein contain intact fractions such as you mention? Here some concentrates will be better than, so far as I know, any isolate or certainly most isolates. sola

Man! There is definitely a lot more to this than I thought. I figured it was black or white. What are some good protein blends that are concentrates? For a person trying to find a protein with the LEAST amount of excess ingredients, where should I go? I’ve tried quite a bit over the years already, but you guys really know your stuff.

Grow! is a very specific concentrate that contains a number of valuable fractions. It does have flavoring and sweetening and it sounds as if you may be wishing to avoid that. There may be other concentrates that differ from the ordinary in being produced to high immunoglobulin content and the other favorable qualities discussed above but as for myself I don’t know which.