Protein is Insulinogenic

Finished reading the latest article by the great mind of TC.
He stated that protein is insulinogenic. This blew my mind, first time I have heard anything like this.
I do a lot of protein pulses thruout the day when I work. I’m on a paleo diet so my carbs are limited anyway.

Is there an article on this that I’ve missed or could someone provide me with some more information?

Some amino acids can increase insulin but not like carbs.

Dude, thinking about a cheeseburger can release insulin.

http://www.jbc.org/content/264/4/2037.short

That’s what I wanted to hear.

Thanks for the link proof.
One more question, throughout the whole article they say amino acids. No specific aa(amino acid) is given. Would there be a link to aa’s that were tested ?

“)Isoleucine and serine together increased both insulin sensitivity and responsiveness to 60-70% of that seen with the full complement of amino acid”

My mistake there were a few amino acids listed

Thanks again

[quote]Mike T. wrote:
That’s what I wanted to hear.

Thanks for the link proof.
One more question, throughout the whole article they say amino acids. No specific aa(amino acid) is given. Would there be a link to aa’s that were tested ?
[/quote]

I don’t know what article you are speaking of, but beware of people who act like we have this all figured out.

The more I learn about the human body, the more I learn about how much we really don’t know yet.

For the record…Leucine has provided the most beneficial effect I have seen…and this is the first time in my life using it at the level I am now. That is why you keep seeing me type about the protein I am using. Not trying to sound like a sales rep, but I was able to avoid eating nearly as much and still held onto muscle.

What kind of dosing/protocol are you using with leucine X?

Bodybuilding/Powerlifting Templateof the most insulinogenic but there isn’t really a best formula. Isoleucine is also very insulinogenic and is shown to boost glucose uptake beyond that of leucine alone. From what I understand, BCAAs especially but other aminos as well are “taken up” fastest in di and tri-peptide form, which means that single amino acids (most amino acid supplements) would not be as insulinogenic as a product like MAG-10, which has aminos in di and tri-peptide form. The reason for this is that body apparently has special “receptors” in the gut for aminos in the di and tri peptide form whereas single aminos would still just be hanging out. There is a tremendous amount of information about this. CT has a lot of it as does google.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
What kind of dosing/protocol are you using with leucine X?[/quote]

MAG-10. I get at least 10 scoops down a day no matter what when dieting like this last time. Sometimes more. I wasn’t using a specific protocol and don’t have time to follow all of the spills. I worked out for myself what fit into my schedule best.

On the average day when I dropped most of that body fat, my solid meals were maybe twice a day with two cheat days a week. The rest of the time I was sipping that all day.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
For the record…Leucine has provided the most beneficial effect I have seen…and this is the first time in my life using it at the level I am now. That is why you keep seeing me type about the protein I am using. Not trying to sound like a sales rep, but I was able to avoid eating nearly as much and still held onto muscle.[/quote]

Normal whey protein powder contains tons of leucine… why take it as a separate product?

[quote]AspiringTank wrote:

For the record…Leucine has provided the most beneficial effect I have seen…and this is the first time in my life using it at the level I am now. That is why you keep seeing me type about the protein I am using. Not trying to sound like a sales rep, but I was able to avoid eating nearly as much and still held onto muscle.[/quote]

Normal whey protein powder contains tons of leucine… why take it as a separate product?[/quote]

Define “tons” comparatively…and then get to know lactose intolerance.

Normal whey protein powder contains tons of leucine… why take it as a separate product?[/quote]

Define “tons” comparatively…and then get to know lactose intolerance.[/quote]

In the whey isolate i use there is 9,38 g of leucine pr. 100 grams. I get 177 grams of that stuff every day, so that would be around 16 grams of leucine. I don’t know much about leucine or how much you eat of that stuff, but 16 grams seems like a lot for a single amino acid. Same with glutamine. I see guys religiously buying it separately and taking 5 grams every morning, even though there is around 16 grams per 100 grams in the whey they are eating all day. Doesn’t make sense. I’m not trying to be clever on the leucine stuff though. Know nothing about it. Was just wondering.

Just took a look at the leucine product that T-Nation is selling. It contains 2,1 grams of leucine per serving. When I’m already getting 16 grams a day it seems pretty stupid to buy it. Am I missing something? Just trying to learn here.

Just took a look at the leucine product that T-Nation is selling. It contains 2,1 grams of leucine per serving. When I’m already getting 16 grams a day it seems pretty stupid to buy it. Am I missing something? Just trying to learn here.[/quote]

I don’t use the leucine alone here. I use the MAG-10 with citrulline malate and casien added to it. I used whey for years but didn’t notice the same effect. It could be a bioavailability issue due to my own lactose intolerance.

It is my understanding that the quality of the leucine or the source is an issue.

I am not an expert on these products aside from using the ones I mention and noting the effects.

The more I learn about the human body, the more I learn about how much we really don’t know yet.
e.[/quote][/quote]

ain’t that the truth. However, if one at least considers the premises such as those in the Paleo Diet one should be able to assume several things nutritionally for us.

Just took a look at the leucine product that T-Nation is selling. It contains 2,1 grams of leucine per serving. When I’m already getting 16 grams a day it seems pretty stupid to buy it. Am I missing something? Just trying to learn here.[/quote]

Go back to 2008, read every post about l-leucine since then.

Lots of people will talk about how much they like L-leucine.

Adding L-leucine to protein, that is l-leucine not bound to the protein, makes that protein more easily synthesized.

Sure you can get l-leucine from your protein powder, but it’s not as easily available as the pure form ADDED separately. I know it seems stupid- but really I’ve never heard of someone actually taking Biotest l-leucine and not liking the result. It’s not an instant result, takes a few weeks, but you can tell when you’re on it and when you’re not.

[quote]corstijeir wrote:

Adding L-leucine to protein, that is l-leucine not bound to the protein, makes that protein more easily synthesized.

Sure you can get l-leucine from your protein powder, but it’s not as easily available as the pure form ADDED separately. I know it seems stupid- but really I’ve never heard of someone actually taking Biotest l-leucine and not liking the result. It’s not an instant result, takes a few weeks, but you can tell when you’re on it and when you’re not.[/quote]

Thank you. I will try it.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
What kind of dosing/protocol are you using with leucine X?[/quote]

MAG-10. I get at least 10 scoops down a day no matter what when dieting like this last time. Sometimes more. I wasn’t using a specific protocol and don’t have time to follow all of the spills. I worked out for myself what fit into my schedule best.

On the average day when I dropped most of that body fat, my solid meals were maybe twice a day with two cheat days a week. The rest of the time I was sipping that all day.[/quote]

I’m currently doing something very similar to this…but the MAG-10 bottle says not to exceed 4 servings per day. Are you saying that’s only suggested to keep your bank account in tact? I have no problem doing more…and would prefer that especially on days like today where I’m fasting all day (feasted yesterday) through tomorrow afternoon.

[quote]corstijeir wrote:

Sure you can get l-leucine from your protein powder, but it’s not as easily available as the pure form ADDED separately. I know it seems stupid- but really I’ve never heard of someone actually taking Biotest l-leucine and not liking the result. It’s not an instant result, takes a few weeks, but you can tell when you’re on it and when you’re not.[/quote]

I agree, I felt the strongest when I was taking a BCAA supplement.

Second I’ve never seen a whey powder contain 9.38 grams of leucine. What brand are you using?

I’d like to also add that there are some interesting comments left on my topic and I appreciate the knowledge passed down.

[quote]Mike T. wrote:

[quote]corstijeir wrote:

I agree, I felt the strongest when I was taking a BCAA supplement.

Second I’ve never seen a whey powder contain 9.38 grams of leucine. What brand are you using?

I’d like to also add that there are some interesting comments left on my topic and I appreciate the knowledge passed down.
[/quote]

I live in Sweden and use a local brand that you can’t get in the US. But every whey product should contain around that amount. I just checked another normal whey powder for sale here and it actually says 11,8 g of leucine per 100 gram. What product have you checked that contains less?