Protein intake studies

Hey guys-I’ll be brief. A week or so ago, some college student posted to ask for some links to websites that highlight studies showing that high protein intakes aren’t bad for the kidneys so that he could prove his professor wrong. I’ve realized by now that I can’t set my professors or any of those dipshit personal trainers straight, but I would like to share this info with a fellow exercise science major before she becomes one of those ignorant boneheads. If you guys could hook me up with those links again, I’d really appreciate it. Plus, I’ll guarantee that there will be one less idiot working in an American gym if I bring the study results to class tomorrow. Thanks.

I do have an article written a few years back that specifically refutes the notion that high protein diets lead to kidney dysfunction. I’ll post the reference this weekend.

The idea that high protein diets cause kidney impairment came from a study of people with damaged kidneys. Since their kidneys were screwed up to to start with they had trouble processing proteins. That’s like doing a study on walking and saying it causes tissue damage because all of your test subjects had fractured tibias.

It’s only been lately that studies are being conducted with athletes or healthy people as subjects. Normal human diet is one of the things that is most riddled with rumors and old wives tales instead of facts. Good luck changing any minds, they need it.

I know that already-you don’t have to convince me. I’m just looking for some website links that I could print out for others’ use. As for your analogy, I always liked the “If a lot of protein is bad for your kidneys, then a lot of blood is bad for the heart. Thus, you shouldn’t exercise because it increases heart rate!” Gotta love dipshit logic…

Poortmans JR, Dellaieux O. Do regular high protein diets have potential health risks on kidney function in athletes? Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 2000 Mar;10(1):28-38

I'm not sure if that was one of the previous ones but I had it sitting in a file beside me. Another main arguement many of those who oppose high protein intake use is one questioning bone loss. You may find the following study supportive:

Cooper C, Anderson EJ, Hensrund DD, et al. Dietary protein intake and bone mass in women. Calcif Tissue Int 1996;58:320-325.

Also, if you look up Dr. Peter W.R. Lemon's works on the subject you should have more than adequate information / ammunition.

There’s an article on TMag about personal trainers & I can’t remember who wrote it but his uncle or someone had a saying that went ‘Yeah I had a prof who had a BS & a PhD. We all know what BS stands for, I guess PhD sttands for piled higher & deeper’ I always thought that waas funny because it’s true (usually)