T Nation

Protein Intake Per Meal

I was reading about 30g is the max intake per meal that can be digested and used for a sitting.

So therefore does that mean that if I eat a meal with 60g of protien, about 30g won’t count towards my goal 160g per day?

Thanks!

[quote]SteaL7h wrote:
I was reading about 30g is the max intake per meal that can be digested and used for a sitting.

So therefore does that mean that if I eat a meal with 60g of protien, about 30g won’t count towards my goal 160g per day?

Thanks![/quote]

The body is way too complex, to make such a claim as this. Take most of us for instance who lift 4-6 times a week. Our bodies are going to require way much more than your average non-active person. We could be called anomalies, that study was probably done on some sedentary lazy ass people for fucks sake

I at times take in as much as 70-75 grams of protein. As long as I stay up on some digestive enzymes/fiber. I’m perfectly fine. Sometimes your body has to “adjust”.

I remember when I first started eating some what big. I was farting like every 2 minutes like braaap braaapbrruuup. Yet after lifting and getting my body used to it. No biggie.:slight_smile:

[quote]Carlitosway wrote:

[quote]SteaL7h wrote:

Thanks![/quote]

The body is way too complex, to make such a claim as this. Take most of us for instance who lift 4-6 times a week. Our bodies are going to require way much more than your average non-active person. We could be called anomalies, that study was probably done on some sedentary lazy ass people for fucks sake

I at times take in as much as 70-75 grams of protein. As long as I stay up on some digestive enzymes/fiber. I’m perfectly fine. Sometimes your body has to “adjust”.

I remember when I first started eating some what big. I was farting like every 2 minutes like braaap braaapbrruuup. Yet after lifting and getting my body used to it. No biggie.:)[/quote]

yes, quite true

[quote]SteaL7h wrote:
[/quote]

I always wondered if that was indeed true, where the hell would the ‘extra’ energy go…

The only concern with excess protein intake would be with someone with pre-existing kidney or renal conditions, or it’s stress on the kidneys which is what I have read and sounds more plausible than your body not being able to digest it.

[quote]earthquake wrote:

[quote]SteaL7h wrote:
[/quote]

I always wondered if that was indeed true, where the hell would the ‘extra’ energy go…

The only concern with excess protein intake would be with someone with pre-existing kidney or renal conditions, or it’s stress on the kidneys which is what I have read and sounds more plausible than your body not being able to digest it.[/quote]

I don’t believe it to be true. the human body takes days to recover from an iron session. a body depleted and in a constant state of recovery. will absorb large amounts of nutrients to
repair its self.

Ah, I by no way was implying I agreed with it either. My apologies for confusion to OP.

[quote]SteaL7h wrote:

Thanks![/quote]
Hey There,
Taking in more than 30 g per meal (as others have said), isn’t bad. I had heard the same thing (about amount of protein) years ago and followed it stupidly. Then I read more, started taking in more protein at different times around my exercise and saw improvements.

That said, I think you might want to consider the following:

1. When (pre, post or during your workout) are you taking in protein?

2. How much protein during these times?

3. What about your carb and fat intake? (i.e., have you factored in your total daily intake for Protein, carbs, and fats) to make the most of your workouts?

You need protein for muscle growth, but you need complex carbs for energy to help you with your workouts. Plus, you will need to eat more calories than you need (even with exercise) in order to grow (not factoring this in was was my mistake for far too long)

Good luck with everything.

FWIW, I’ve been drinking a dozen eggs every day these last 2 months or so, basically to say “fuck science”, and see for myself what it does for me. Whenever possible, I do it about an hour after my PWO shake, when metabolism is still super fast.

Seems to be working like a charm so far…

FTR that’a 84 grams protein, about grams 6 carbs, and 60 grams fat, around 900 calories total. yum yum :slight_smile:

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
FWIW, I’ve been drinking a dozen eggs every day these last 2 months or so, basically to say “fuck science”, and see for myself what it does for me. Whenever possible, I do it about an hour after my PWO shake, when metabolism is still super fast.

Seems to be working like a charm so far…

FTR that’a 84 grams protein, about grams 6 carbs, and 60 grams fat, around 900 calories total. yum yum :)[/quote]

How do you not gag? I tried drinking 4 eggs before and the texture of the yolks was awful. Not that I’m whining or anything, just curious.

Started with 3-4 at a time, then tried 6 a few times, and one day said fuck it, drank a dozen, and never looked back. You just gotta learn how to swallow without tasting it, or getting the stringy shit in between your teeth…nasty!

I think the 30g per sitting originally came from stupid nutritionnist that were recommending about 1g/pound of protein for “normal people” weighting from 150 to 180 split into 5 to 6 meals.

fuck them.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
Started with 3-4 at a time, then tried 6 a few times, and one day said fuck it, drank a dozen, and never looked back. You just gotta learn how to swallow without tasting it, or getting the stringy shit in between your teeth…nasty![/quote]

That’s impressive as hell.

To chime in with everyone else, you’ll just digest greater amount of protein over a longer time.

But here’s another way to look at it. If you’re trying to build muscle, and you’re consuming less than 20-30g protein per meal or snack… you’re doing something wrong.

People crack me up.

[quote]EasyRhino wrote:
To chime in with everyone else, you’ll just digest greater amount of protein over a longer time.

But here’s another way to look at it. If you’re trying to build muscle, and you’re consuming less than 20-30g protein per meal or snack… you’re doing something wrong.[/quote]

Truth.