Protein Intake On Very Low-Carbs

Ladies and Gents, can any of you guys give me some input on protein intake when on a very-low (15-20 g/day at ABSOLUTE most)carb diet. I currently take about .75 g/lbs. body weight (~175 g) and am thinking about increasing it slightly but I’m worried about taking too much and inducing glucogenesis.

thoughts or suggestions???

[quote]mightiesthunter wrote:
Ladies and Gents, can any of you guys give me some input on protein intake when on a very-low (15-20 g/day at ABSOLUTE most)carb diet. I currently take about .75 g/lbs. body weight (~175 g) and am thinking about increasing it slightly but I’m worried about taking too much and inducing glucogenesis.

[/quote]

Is your goal retaining muscle while dropping fat? Another words is muscle retention a big priority? If so, I would up it to at least a gram and a half to two grams per pound of bodyweight and consider BCAA’s.

D

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
mightiesthunter wrote:

Is your goal retaining muscle while dropping fat? Another words is muscle retention a big priority? If so, I would up it to at least a gram and a half to two grams per pound of bodyweight and consider BCAA’s.

D[/quote]

yes i agree, if you are cutting , i would suggest increasing protein requirements a little more, gluconeogenesis breaking you out of ketosis is somewhat of an “excessive” intake of protein.

[/quote]

Frozen chicken breast, I believe that is zero carbs. Something like the low carb shake from the Biotest store as a quick fix would be a good idea too.

you mean gluco"neo"genesis?

If so, what is the goal of your diet? fat loss I presume.

What are your fat levels at? If you are high fatting at 60% fat cals or more then you won’t need as much protein. High fat diets are very protein sparing. but on a low carb diet protein sources are your primary source of food so I wouldn’t worry about gluconeogenesis. It happens. Are you carb-cycling/carbing-up at all? If so keep protein moderate on those days.

-chris

yeah, muscle retention while i’m cutting is the goal. I’m pretty hefty right now (hefty = i’m well overweight/fat) so my goal for the VLCD i’m about to start is to cut fat and retain muscle mass. I easily hit 175-200g quality protein/day and get the rest of my macronutrients from quality fats. I was just curious if this quantity of protein should be a concern for gluconeogenesis…

you should be fine. Are you doing the anabolic diet? I suggest it. very effective for fat loss and muscle retention/gain. Remember there aren’t too many reasons you can’t gain muscle and lose fat at the same time unless you are very lean. lift heavy.

-chris

yeah, muscle retention while i’m cutting is the goal. I’m pretty hefty right now (hefty = i’m well overweight/fat) so my goal for the VLCD i’m about to start is to cut fat and retain muscle mass. I easily hit 175-200g quality protein/day and get the rest of my macronutrients from quality fats. I was just curious if this quantity of protein should be a concern for gluconeogenesis…[/quote]