T Nation

Protein Intake From Solids or Drinks?

Anyone else find that their protein intake is about 80% drink form and the rest in solids like chicken?

Mine is about 50/50. I’d like to eat more whole food protein, but I don’t have the time to sit down and eat breakfast first thing in the morning.

I mean if you take 4 scoops of Metabolic Drive you roughly get like 80grams. Thats like 3.5-4 pieces of chicken breast. It is soooo much quicker to slam a drink.

I wonder if it bad though to get your protein so much from a drink and not a solid.

No, I don’t believe I’ve ever heard or read anything about taking in a large percentage of your protein in the form of powders. I know that Sven Karlson, the professional Strongman, utilizes protein powder for more than 90% of his protein intake each day.

Personally, I’ve been using protein powder since the dawning of the age of supplements, since Hoffman’s “Protein From the Sea”, and it’s all good. Currently, at the age of 52 and training my ass off, I use powder for three hundred or so grams each day.

So go for it; convenience and timing is a big part of the equation. It’s more important to take in enough protein often enough than to worry about what form it’s in.

[quote]five-twelve wrote:
I wonder if it bad though to get your protein so much from a drink and not a solid.[/quote]

It’s not optimal. I’d have my ratios the other way around: my protein comes from 80% food, 20% supplements. the one true advantage of supplements over wholefoods is their convenience- why bother cooking up a plate of meat when you can just add water to a shake and drink it?

PWO is really the only time when a shake is better than wholefood- easily digested protein that gets into your body nice and quick.

But supplements are just that- additions to healthy eating. Wholefoods should still make up the majority of your protein intake- they’re thermogenic, you get increased satiety, the benefit of additional vitamins and minerals, increased fibre intake…

It just means you may have to prepare some meals in advance and plan a little.

Just make sure you’re also getting the necessary fats, vitamins, and minerals that are found in dead animal flesh.

Ummmm, Oh hell… What G’em said.

[quote]five-twelve wrote:
Anyone else find that their protein intake is about 80% drink form and the rest in solids like chicken?[/quote]

Nope. Mine is the other way around. And it tastes better.

I think it depends on if you’re bulking or cutting. (and obviously about 100 other things)

For bulking- it’s tough to get in enough cals and protein without some of it being liquid. Some experts suggest 60% or more should be liquid when bulking. Not sure why. I think 50/50 is a decent start. I usually bulk at 25/75 (liquid/solid).

For cutting- it’s tough to get the nutrients in you need when hypocaloric without keeping your solid food intake high. So if you eat a buttload of veggies and at least some meat, then I guess it’s ok to get most of your protein from a liquid source.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
For cutting- it’s tough to get the nutrients in you need when hypocaloric without keeping your solid food intake high. So if you eat a buttload of veggies and at least some meat, then I guess it’s ok to get most of your protein from a liquid source.[/quote]

Personally I’d be the other way- when I’m on a major calorie deficit I need to get as much wholefood as my diet will allow, otherwise I get insanely hungry. At least with wholefood I’m not hungry for… ooh, a good 20 min after my meal!!

But I agree with the bulking aspect- if you need to take in a heapload of protein every day it’ll probably be more convenient/ cheaper to get a lot of it from shakes. I guess it boils down to how much protein you need under the circumstances?

[quote]g’em wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
For cutting- it’s tough to get the nutrients in you need when hypocaloric without keeping your solid food intake high. So if you eat a buttload of veggies and at least some meat, then I guess it’s ok to get most of your protein from a liquid source.

Personally I’d be the other way- when I’m on a major calorie deficit I need to get as much wholefood as my diet will allow, otherwise I get insanely hungry. At least with wholefood I’m not hungry for… ooh, a good 20 min after my meal!![/quote]

If you reread what I wrote you’ll see this is exactly what I wrote- that you need to keep your solid food intake high. I just ended it with a clarification that as long as you get your nutrients in you can drink your protein if you want. I agree with you though- when I go hypocaloric I almost eliminate protein shakes.

I agree with eengrms76.
I’ve done 100% liquid protein before (out of necessity) and let me tell you; you REALLY start to crave solid protein.

The Anabolic Index Manual demonstrates how to use liquids to optimize growth, recovery, and performance, but I think it’s a little complicated to go into here.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:

For bulking- it’s tough to get in enough cals and protein without some of it being liquid. Some experts suggest 60% or more should be liquid when bulking. Not sure why. I think 50/50 is a decent start. I usually bulk at 25/75 (liquid/solid).

For cutting- it’s tough to get the nutrients in you need when hypocaloric without keeping your solid food intake high. So if you eat a buttload of veggies and at least some meat, then I guess it’s ok to get most of your protein from a liquid source.[/quote]

Appart from the obvious convienince of liquid protein I can’t see why any one would want to skip Solid food in place of a drink if their is an alternative.

I personally get about 75-80% of my protein from solid foods.

[quote]IrishMarc wrote:
Appart from the obvious convienince of liquid protein I can’t see why any one would want to skip Solid food in place of a drink if their is an alternative.

I personally get about 75-80% of my protein from solid foods.[/quote]

I can only speak of my own experience, but I am very rarely hungry, can happily go all day without eating and am in a job environment where eating a solid meal every two or three hours is not always possible. I would never have put on 60lbs without protein shakes.

However, by using liquid feeds I can overcome a lot of these problems. I also follow Poliquin’s old advice of 200g malto post workout with 40g of protein, and those 900 odd calories would not slide down so easily unless they were in liquid form.

It’s not like drinking whey protein is unnatural or anything. Whey is dairy just like milk. Not much of a difference.

Milk has a high utilization rate too.
However,I wouldn’t get all of my protein from shakes. The body still needs real food. That means some great beef,chicken,fish,etc.

I must go through over 3-4 servings of raw dairy each day too. So thats some good stuff too.

[quote]The Beast wrote:
IrishMarc wrote:
Appart from the obvious convienince of liquid protein I can’t see why any one would want to skip Solid food in place of a drink if their is an alternative.

I personally get about 75-80% of my protein from solid foods.

I can only speak of my own experience, but I am very rarely hungry, can happily go all day without eating and am in a job environment where eating a solid meal every two or three hours is not always possible. I would never have put on 60lbs without protein shakes.

However, by using liquid feeds I can overcome a lot of these problems. I also follow Poliquin’s old advice of 200g malto post workout with 40g of protein, and those 900 odd calories would not slide down so easily unless they were in liquid form.[/quote]

I can see where you are coming from when work is involved I can definatley see why you would choose to use liquid proteins hell it could be your only option.

I am the complete opposite however I am constantly hungry and pretty much need to eat solid food whenever I can to stop me biting my own arm off!