T Nation

Protein intake 3 g/lb

What is your opinion about eating approximately 3 g/lb of protein? Is it a gross overdoing of things? The person who said this doesn’t say it’s a recommendation for juicers, but rather a general guideline! I am asking this because the biggest guys in my gym are really eating protein in this range!
Another question is - is there a danger of gaining fat from excessive protein intake, if we look at it isolated from carb and fats intake. Does anybody know anything about metabolic pathway from protein to carbs and then to fat storage? I guess there is no immediate danger because this process of gluconeogenesis takes a lot of energy… and there is also energy that is needed to convert carbs to fats and store them.

Thomas Incledon has written to me about this question before and he agrees with your concerns–that excess protein is not particularly useful, and thus is nothing more than additional calories. Furthermore, 1 diet of 1g/lb protein is good for the metabolism, but excessive amount like 3g/lb can, according to Incledon, actually retard the metabolism somewhat.

The only time protein intakes that high may be beneficial is in the final weeks before a body building competition when you are trying to get extremely lean! In an audio interview, Dr. Eric Serrano has said up to 3g/lb. To build muscle, this could be overkill. Stick with 1 or 1.5 grams/pound (of lean body weight) and you should do fine. There are tons of articles on this site dealing with your questions…

It is not necessary to take in that much protein and is the most inefficient way to grow. Protein intake should not be viewed at the exclusion of carbs and fats, especially if your goal is to gain muscle mass. I hate the fact that protein consumption is being hyped in Muscle Magazines lately as if any one of those competitors got to that size without having bulked up at one point or another in their lives. My protein intake is close to two grams right now, however, this is only because I am working on definition. If my goal was to return to working on size, I would decrease protein and increase carbs since this is what fuels your workout in the first place. Your body has to waste energy turning protein to useable fuel whihc makes this the dumbest way to gain size at the fastest rate for your particular genetics. Forget what you read in these extended supplement ads that feature some pro holding a bottle of NitroTech and claiming that this is the sole reason they are the size they are now. High protein diets are great for losing fat and maintaining muscle mass, however are not the greatest for gaining muscle, unless you have the metabolism of a snail on Vicoden.
Professor X

Well, it really is going ot bank heavily on what else you are eating on top of that truckload of protien. Lets say for example you weigh 200 pounds, thats 600 grams of protien, which equates to 2400 calories! Presuming thats all you ate(which would link to some severe malnutrition problems) you would be in a normal calorie bracket size wise, now once you incorperate fats and carbs you will most likely be sucking down 3500-4000 calories easily a day. so to answer your question, i could definitely see the potential for some weight gain in the stomach region. Is that much protien necessary for guys ike you and I? not likely, you will make sufficient progress eating 1-1.5 grams protien/lb, and consequently save some cash for things like, I dunno, car payments and insurance(the un-important non-training related stuff)

I would think that 3g/lb. of protein a day would be a bit rough on your kidneys. Do ya think?

Well, JH, I read every single article on T-Mag site and I must say there is an inconsistency
in articles when it comes to the protein intake. For example, they quote studies
showing that everything above 1.6-1.8 g/kg (0.7-0.8 g/lb) is an overkill, and they say it can
be rounded to 1 g/lb if it’s easier to calculate protein that way, but it isn’t
neccessary. Two years later, in almost all articles the writers advocate 1-1.5 g/lb
intake, both for athletes trying to gain mass and lose fat! That’s 2.2-3.3 g/kg, and
it’s significantly more than 1.6-1.8 g/kg. I understand the rationale behind 1.6-1.8
g/kg for ketogenic diets, allegedly if an athlete takes more, the gluconeogenesis will
start, protein will be converted to carbs and the body will drop out of ketosis, that’s
why the rest of calories should come from fats.
Professor X, I can’t really afford 3 g/lb protein, my wallet feels very comfortable
around 1.5 g/kg. :slight_smile: In my original message I had posted the name of the person in the world of
bodybuilding who advocates this 3 g/lb intake and claims that’s the only way to go
when building mass, but the moderator removed that person’s name because he is an owner
of another bodybuilding related site. Anyway, I wanted to say that the biggest guy from my gym who
is also a competitive bodybuilder on a national amateur level (231 lb 3 % bf competition
weight) follows 3-3.5 g/kg protein with great success. I must also point out that almost
none of the competitive bodybuilders I know follow ketogenic diets prior to contest,
expect for the last week or two, and it’s not classic ketogenic diet, but anabolic
diet with 30-40-50 g carbs coming mostly from veggies. Almost all guys follow isocaloric
diet and they restrict their carb intake from 400-500 g towards 100 g or less in the
final stages of the leaning phase. I even know one metabolic monster with obvious
case of severe hyperthyroidism (forgive me for possible spelling errors, English is not my
native language) who became shredded following 3000 kCal, 40 % from carbs @ 216 lb 6%
bf.

I don’t think that sudden cutting out all the carbs is beneficial. I think it would be wiser
to slowly drop carbs from one week to another and somehow adjust the body to the new
situation. I have personally used anabolic and T-Dawg diet without slow transition and I found out
they work great in the beginning but then the fat loss stops. It doesn’t happen with isocaloric diets.
I know a lot of bodybuilders and none of them suddenly introduces a lot of aerobic exercise, cuts
calories etc. Another thing is that none of them cares about fat intake! No MUFAs, no Omega 3, they
just keep it as low as possible. Of course, they are all juicers in over a gram range, some of them
are even using insuline and GH. If they introduced fats in their diet I think they would look
even better and freakier.

Jdroks, scientific studies in healthy people show that there is no connection between protein intake and malfunctioning kidneys. Studies that show connection between high protein intake and kidneys are derived from people who have already problems with their kidneys. Anyway, bodybuilding is not about health, it is about aesthetics. :)

Sasa Aksentijevic, you seem to have confused your conversion factors. Kg. are larger than lbs. You multiply lbs by 2.2 to get Kg not vice-versa.

I don’t think I made a mistake, it’s just that I use both pounds and kilos in my posts. However, I try to refrain from using kilos because most people here are from US.

My bad bro. I must have taken my stupid pills yesterday instead of my HMB, wait a minute they’re the same thing! For real though, I wasn’t thinking in the practicle sense, and got my numbers backwards. My apologies!

Bodyguard, amigo, it’s good that you didn’t forget to take your HMB, otherwise you’d
stop feeling like being on Deca! :wink:

3 grams per pound will work if your “ON”-if not ,YES it certainly can & most likely will be stored as fat.1.5-2grams of protien is plenty. Oh,all the big boys in the gym are genetic freaks or on the juice.

I doubt you would notice any diffference in your lifting…