Protein In Veggies

Do you count the protein in veggies? I mean, I know it’s not a lot, but I really notice the difference between when I track protein with fitday (which includes the 2-5 g. of protein in every serving of most veggies) and when I just estimate (when I just count veggies as carbs). I find fitday adds about 30-40 g. of protein to my totals. Should I be counting this protein? Is it bio-available?

I count it

I don’t track it. I just consider it all extra.

Most veg. protein is incomplete, but I’m thinking that if you are tracking things on fitday and reading this site, then you are prob. eating your veggies with some form of protein (chicken, eggs, beef, ect.) so I think you’ll be ok.

If you find it easy to do with fitday, go for it…it would drive me crazy though.

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
I don’t track it. I just consider it all extra.

Most veg. protein is incomplete,…
[/quote]

Exactly i dont either some have a bit but likely incomplete and find it easier to just get my 1g per lb or there bouts from complete sources count my veggies as carbs in general veggie dependent of course
Ph

[quote]sarah1 wrote:
Do you count the protein in veggies? I mean, I know it’s not a lot, but I really notice the difference between when I track protein with fitday (which includes the 2-5 g. of protein in every serving of most veggies) and when I just estimate (when I just count veggies as carbs). I find fitday adds about [quote]30-40 g[/quote]. of protein to my totals. Should I be counting this protein? Is it bio-available?[/quote]

That much!? Wow. How many veggies are you eating??? :slight_smile:

The problem with protein in veggies and grains/legumes, is that some of it is tied up in the fibre that constitutes the food and is not actually available for the body to use.

Case in point: corn (OK, not really a vegetable, but let’s pretend). 100 gr of corn have 9.4 gr of protein and 7.3 gr of fibre. Not to be gross, but have you ever noticed how corn seems to bypass the digestive system and come out looking similar to how it went in? I think there must be a lot of nutrients in corn that the body just doesn’t absorb.

Somebody correct me if I’m wrong!

Oh, so my bottom line is: I don’t count protein from foods that carry fibre, so basically I only count protein that comes from animal sources.

[quote]Miserere wrote:
Not to be gross, but have you ever noticed how corn seems to bypass the digestive system and come out looking similar to how it went in?
[/quote]

Have you ever noticed how it’s also there even when you haven’t eaten any, especially when someone throws up? (,")

[quote]Miserere wrote:
Oh, so my bottom line is: I don’t count protein from foods that carry fibre, so basically I only count protein that comes from animal sources.[/quote]

If I’m coming up short on my daily protein intake, then I’ll count in the protein from beans/legumes, but not greens. Because you subtract the fibre from the total amount of carbohydrates, I always thought it was the carbs that were running through you unabsorbed, not the protein.

But then, what do I know?

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
If I’m coming up short on my daily protein intake, then I’ll count in the protein from beans/legumes, but not greens. Because you subtract the fibre from the total amount of carbohydrates, I always thought it was the carbs that were running through you unabsorbed, not the protein.

But then, what do I know?[/quote]

Hey, what do I know? :slight_smile:

Like I said, some of the protein isn’t used because it remains trapped in the fibre. How much? No idea, and I’m sure it depends on the food and on how (much) you cook it. As I can’t guesstimate any of this, I simply don’t count protein that comes packaged with fibre, just to be safe.

yeah I only count my protein from high quality sources. I make sure my quality protein intake is 1g/per lb bodyweight, then I consider any other protein I get from greens or anything with fiber an added bonus. Like the OP said, it’s usually around 30-40g extra a day, so if my body is using it, great. If my body isn’t using it, no big deal because I’m still getting the right amount from high quality proteins.