Protein in Cap or Pill Form?

I have extremely sensitive teeth. I have been to the dentist on a regular basis and have gotten a prescription for MI paste and stuff similar to sensodyne toothpaste and an oral rinse. It’s hell to brush my teeth or rinse.

I wrote an earlier post about liquid fish oil and for some reason oils don’t really bother the exposed nerves of my gums. I’m going to ask my doctor about that later. But, thanks to Jehovas Witness for the Flameout suggestion. It’s more potent than carlsons, it seems. Anyways…

I’m unable to put most liquids and some chocolaty foods in my mouth so I have to use a straw that goes into my throat which allows the liquid to bypass my teeth and gums and it is really difficult to swallow. I tried to down some Metabolic Drive Low Carb but I’m in extreme pain from it. I then tried to thin it down but it doesn’t slide down and simply swishes in my mouth and touches my gums and the exposed nerves. I see my dentist in February to see if there are any other options as far as surgery goes.

I was wondering if there is an alternative as far as taking protein in liquid or solid form. More specifically, is there a pill or cap option so I don’t have to go through the pain.

I see Biotest sells BCAAs in cap form, are these an alternative or do they serve a different purpose than the liquid whey proteins?

Sorry for my stupid questions. Thanks for your help.

Not a stupid question at all.

The limiting aspect with providing protein by capsule or tablet is that generally the amount of protein required to make a real difference to the diet is relatively large. For example, a protein shake will typically be 30-40 g of protein or even a little more.

Capsules tend to be under 1 gram each, and while tablets can be larger than this, they typically are not vastly over a gram. For example the Biotest BCCA tabs are I think 1.2 g each.

So to deliver simply protein, capsules or tablets don’t wind up being feasible.

For specific amino acids, they can be.

If you can eat pudding, I’d suggest mixing it up very thick, perhaps allowing it to cool in Tupperware type containers, and eating with a spoon.

I used to have my MRP’s that way back when an undergrad: it was easier to transport a cooler with a few containers of “pudding” than to have to repeatedly mix drinks between classes. It could be that the pudding would be easier on you: hopefully so!

They have amino acid pills, along with BCAA’s.

Unfortunately, it would take a shit load of pills to get a lot of protein.

Sorry for the situation.

Steak.

I guess you can cap steak but you’d probably need some big caps.

I’d also go with solid food then.

I’m not sure the extent of your condition, and I apologize in advance if the following question is something which you have thought of before and is not feasible, but could some sort of mouth-guard-esque cover be fashioned for your teeth to prevent the liquid from coming into contact?

Thanks for the suggestions. And thanks to Bill Roberts for the detailed explanation.

In regards to SilverHydra, my dentist tried this approach but the cover couldn’t stay on without a paste that would contact the nerves themselves so it would sort of defeat the purpose. Without the paste, the covers couldn’t stay on and it would just be a huge mess :confused:

I’m just thinking out loud but what about homemade capsules? Is there a way that I could do a sort of homemade capsule with the Metabolic Drive inside of an empty capsule? For example, is there a way you could buy or obtain empty capsules someway, to put the Metabolic Drive protein powder inside and swallow that. I could first use the measuring scoop to obtain the appropriate amount of total powder, then scoop the powder into the capsules and swallow them.

Is this at all possible or is this nonsense?

this is my method for taking leucine and creatine, perhaps it will work in your situation…

get a little bit of water in your mouth, put the powder on a spoon and put the spoon in your mouth. with water in the mouth already, you kinda gotta tilt your head back a bit. once the powder and the little bit of water are in your mouth, take a few swigs of water, and viola! you’re done. it may be worth a shot before investing in a capping machine.

have you tried adding whole fat coconut milk/heavy cream/olive oil/fish oil to your shakes and see if the added oil to the shakes takes away the pain?

[quote]E99_Curt wrote:
this is my method for taking leucine and creatine, perhaps it will work in your situation…

get a little bit of water in your mouth, put the powder on a spoon and put the spoon in your mouth. with water in the mouth already, you kinda gotta tilt your head back a bit. once the powder and the little bit of water are in your mouth, take a few swigs of water, and viola! you’re done. it may be worth a shot before investing in a capping machine.[/quote]

This is how I take Superfood, and I agree; it might be worth a shot. You could probably do up to ~5 grams per “shot” this way, so 6 times would be about a scoop of Metabolic Drive. It wouldn’t be terribly convenient, but capping your own stuff would be more expensive and time consuming.

They sell different sizes of caps, but the standard size is ~1 gram I think. Each serving would be about 30 pills worth. Even with a capping machine (which is still hand operated), this is probably prohibitively inconvenient.

What about some kind of nerve pain blocker like gabapentin or Lyrica?

Have you been told why your mouth is like that?