T Nation

Protein for Lactose Intolerance

Is anybody here lactose intolerant? What protein supplement(s) do you use?

I’m not LI but I find too much dairy sometimes causes some disruptions. I use Optimum Nutrition’s “Gold Standard” whey …It has Lactase in it which is supposed to be a digestive enzyme for those who have issues with dairy.

Wanting to help a bro is cool. I can’t think of a better personal trait for a guy to have (next to “self reliance”) than “wants to help his bros”

But really, man, these guys provide us with this forum FREE OF COST.

You can get all of this great, REAL sports science knowledge from performance athletes (and those who train them.)… and it’s FREE…

They don’t even make it “FREE, with a $100 purchase of our supplements” in which it would still be a super-value…

Even for a really, really destitute guy like myself.

So, the least you can do, is not advertise for other supplement brands here.

You probably didn’t consider this before you posted - no problem. But maybe think about that?

To the credit of the people who run this forum, they DON’T EVEN BAN posts like these…wherein you recommend some other product…and then they promptly erase it…they don’t even do that…

That is pretty honest on their behalf.

Maybe consider that?

On a related note: does anyone know how the Biotest whey products work for lactose intolerant people?

Anyone here using Biotest wheys have an issue with lactose? Any stories for this guy?

Hey I’m L.I. (damn pain in the ass is what it is! no pun intended) and I’ll tell ya the best thing ever for it! They make a pill now that you take once a day! It’s good for 24 hours and it only costs 9bucks for I think a 2month supply!! I take that every morning and I can drink all the milk/protein/whatever all I want. I know I sound like a damn infomercial but this stuff works and cost a hell of a lot less than lactaid plus its a pain carrying that around. I got it off americanrx.com its called Digestive Advantage? for Lactose Intolerance. Hope it helps!
Pierce

[quote]horny yoda wrote:
Wanting to help a bro is cool. I can’t think of a better personal trait for a guy to have (next to “self reliance”) than “wants to help his bros”

You can get all of this great, REAL sports science knowledge from performance athletes (and those who train them.)… and it’s FREE…

They don’t even make it “FREE, with a $100 purchase of our supplements” in which it would still be a super-value…

You probably didn’t consider this before you posted - no problem. But maybe think about that?

To the credit of the people who run this forum, they DON’T EVEN BAN posts like these…wherein you recommend some other product…and then they promptly erase it…they don’t even do that…

Maybe consider that?

On a related note: does anyone know how the Biotest whey products work for lactose intolerant people?

Anyone here using Biotest wheys have an issue with lactose? Any stories for this guy?[/quote]

I understand what you’re saying, but the OP asked what protein we used, so I answered. Seeing as I have a tub of “not Biotest whey” sitting in my cupboard that specifically mentions having an ingredient pertaining to lactose intolerance I see that in no way being a promotion for another product. Simply an answer to the question to which my answer had complete relevance.

Metabolic Drive, Grow! & Surge do not cause any problems for me and I’m extremely lactose intolerant.

Cotage cheese is low lactose. that and yogurt. hence the reason that dogs can eat them and not milk.

Any low carb protein powder should have minimal lactose in it. Lactose is a sugar, and therefore a carbohydrate. Ergo, the low carb powders have most of the lactose removed. (They are then sweetened with artificial sweetener, if the powder is flavoured.)

HOWEVER, protein powders still seem to vary in how well people tolerate them. I find regular doses of live culture yoghurt help.

[quote]horny yoda wrote:

Maybe consider that?

Anyone here using Biotest wheys have an issue with lactose? Any stories for this guy?[/quote]

I definitely would buy any Biotest product before another product because I want to support the site.

However, all of the products here specifically state that they do contain milk, so he’s not exactly stepping on their business. I can’t use those products anyway.

I haven’t had any issues with Metabolic Drive, and I’m fiercely lactose intolerant. As in I recently thought I might be over it and wound up feeling the worst I’ve felt in 3 years from the pain. Metabolic Drive has given me no problems and I can state from experience that you should be just fine with it.

What do you other lactose intolerant people mix it with since we can’t do the milk thing?

[quote]Carbon-12 wrote:
I haven’t had any issues with Metabolic Drive, and I’m fiercely lactose intolerant. As in I recently thought I might be over it and wound up feeling the worst I’ve felt in 3 years from the pain. Metabolic Drive has given me no problems and I can state from experience that you should be just fine with it.

What do you other lactose intolerant people mix it with since we can’t do the milk thing?[/quote]

Water.

Are you just LI or allergic to milk? If you’re just intolerant, low carb protein powders could possibly be the solution. I have not had any egregious reactions to such and I’m notoriously lactose intolerant.

Biotest’s stuff is evidently good in this respect from what I’ve read, but as I live in the UK and in a tight financial situation I’ve not been able to try for myself.