T Nation

Protein During Training

Hey, i’m a newcomer to the T-Nation forums, and i have some questions about protein. First off im a jv player on the high school football team and im looking to put on as much lean muscle as possible. I was taking this protein shake called muscle milk but i had to stop unfortunately because we have cardio conditioning right after weight-lifting so im unable to drink the shake without vomiting. Please reply with any suggestions.
thanks in advance,
thefuture

Dude, just wait till cardio is over. If your concerned about a catabolic state post lifting, a sip or two of a hi GI carb drink will keep your energy stores up and slow the breakdown.

can u list a few of these drinks…
Thanks,
thefuture

I would use Surge…NOW USE Surge. It is a recovery drink that does wonders check it out.

oh yeah, by the way, conditioning last for about an hour after weight-lifting.

Surge is the bomb.

While you’re waiting for your Surge to come in the mail, you can just sip a gatorade before your cardio.

Immediately afterwards, drink a protein shake. As soon as you can, chow down. Clean the buffet if you can.

Ah, to be 15 again…

Dan “Put on 50 lbs when he was 15” McVicker

Hi there! What school do you play for? What position? Ethnicity(race)? What does your weightlifting program look like? What type of conditioning exercises do you do?

First two are just out of my curiosity. However the rest would aid the accuracy of different responses. If the conditioning isnt too intense, then just drink your muscle milk after. You are going to lose some amount of muscle whether you like it or not, especially playing football. Also, what are your stats?

Bench Max?
Squat Max?

OLB and FS american indian as for weight lifting program benching, shoulder press, incline and decline bench press, seated row, squats, box squats, lat pull down, curls, ab work such as side to side, crunches, leg lifts, and as for cardio, running bleachers, 100 yd, 80 yd, and 60 yd sprints etc…

Sprinting can be quite taxing, and is more prone to cause muscle mass loss, then steady cardio. As for your lifting, you listed the exercises, however you failed to show how the split looked like. Rep/sets? Anywho, drink your muscle milk about an hour before practice, this should be adequete time to digest some of it, and minimize the chance of vomiting.

Try to take Surge, or a carbed drinking during your lifting session. You can also consider taking liquid aminos and mix it with gatorade, and sip that. Try drinking half of your muscle milk before and after. Hope this helps

[quote]Xfactor88 wrote:
Sprinting can be quite taxing, and is more prone to cause muscle mass loss, then steady cardio. As for your lifting, you listed the exercises, however you failed to show how the split looked like. Rep/sets? Anywho, drink your muscle milk about an hour before practice, this should be adequete time to digest some of it, and minimize the chance of vomiting.

Try to take Surge, or a carbed drinking during your lifting session. You can also consider taking liquid aminos and mix it with gatorade, and sip that. Try drinking half of your muscle milk before and after. Hope this helps[/quote]

thanks you’ve been a big help, i’ll definately try that. Oh by the way where can i purchase liquid aminos? And is it a legal substance by HS football standards no steriods or anything of the sort?
thefuture

[quote]thefuture wrote:
Xfactor88 wrote:

Try to take Surge, or a carbed drinking during your lifting session. You can also consider taking liquid aminos and mix it with gatorade, and sip that. Try drinking half of your muscle milk before and after. Hope this helps

thanks you’ve been a big help, i’ll definately try that. Oh by the way where can i purchase liquid aminos? And is it a legal substance by HS football standards no steriods or anything of the sort?
thefuture[/quote]

From my understanding, Surge has the right amount of fast acting proteins, aminos and the right kind of carbs all in one.

Check out the thread:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459244

Also, don’t forget about a PRE-workout “meal”. I personally use a scoop of Whey protein pre-workout, then Surge (2 scoops) post-workout.

It could be better than or as good as a post workout drink, but from my understanding, it should be more protein based, where the post-workout drink should be a 2:1 ratio of carbs:protein.

Try searching or asking about pre-workout nutrition and you should find better info than I can give.

[quote]thefuture wrote:
Oh by the way where can i purchase liquid aminos? And is it a legal substance by HS football standards no steriods or anything of the sort?
thefuture[/quote]

Oh, and yes, amino supplements are perfectly legal. It’s just amino acids (what protein is made up of) and it gets absorbed even faster than the fast type of Whey that’s in Surge (remember that Surge has the fast Whey AND aminos).

No one will (or should) recomend any illegal substance to someone in high school. Your hormones are high enough, and people here don’t give out that advice to others unless they can show that they did their research on steroids first and understand how to use, and not abuse them. But that’s a decision you shouldn’t have to worry about for a long time.

No problem future. Yea Liquid Aminos are perfectly legal in highschool. You could go to GNC, Or Vitamin Shoppe to purchase Liquid Amino Acids. I have taken Amino Fuel, and it was pretty good…tasted like shit though. Anyway good luck with this! If you have any questions, feel free to post them or PM me.

thanks for all the info everyone, it was greatly appreciated…
thefuture