Protein Drinks for Kids

Hello,
I have a son who eats very poorly. Give him bread and he will be happy. He must take after his Mom and her Mom, God help him. I see that ensure is made out of corn syrup and soy protein. My son is just over 2 now. Is there a recipe that I cam make that he will like myself?

Pediatricians warn against giving too much protein for kids. Milk is fine.

Try plain milk, chocolate milk, or other flavored milk drinks.

Excuse me for stating the obvious, maybe it means I am not a real ‘T-man’, but are you well? The child is 2!!! I guess you are planning on steak for him by the time he is 4?

I was eating steak by 4, whats wrong with that?? LOL

But yes I agree just go with some milk, great option. I see nothing wrong with something like Classic Grow! every now and again also, maybe once a day. Blend in some oats, or flax meal. Truth is this stuff is pretty damned healthy. Just dont make it every meal.

But would really suggest you just give him good food. Veggies, fruit, meats, cheese, fish, eggs. Balance diet. I wouldnt limit him to any one source. If he is hungry he will eat.

Just my 2cc, I am no doc or anything, but I am glad I was introduced to all types of foods and spices as a youngin which has led to me having a varied diet and not really hating any type of food. NOT Picky, frugal.

Blaa, enough blabbing,

hope that helps,
Phill

Hey, there, Navin. Good for you, trying to improve your son’s nutrition at this early age!!!

Honestly, I’d love to see you talk to a nutritionist or a dietician AND a pediatrician who is nutrition savy. Call around if you have to. I can’t help but think the nutritional requirements for a toddler would be very different than what is required for an adult who’s following a resistance training program.

I’m with you, not liking to see your son getting the majority of his calories from white bread. But I don’t think protein drinks are the answer. A few sips here and there wouldn’t hurt, but your son needs those veggies and his good fats. Remember, the vitamins and minerals your son would get by eating a wide variety of fruits and vegetables are the cofactors required in enzymatic processes.

If and when you do get together with a nutritionist or dietician, be sure to ask about EFAs, specifically EPA & DHA. Very important for brain development. Most children don’t get what they need.

Good luck to both of you, Navin!!!

My son loves Grow!. Sometimes I’ll make some and freeze it and he’ll eat it like ice cream…
He’s 4… and wants to be just like dad… Just don’t over do it with the protein… I also put some in his oatmeal with raisin… and a sprinkle of cinnamon…

[quote]Navin Johnson wrote:
Hello,
I have a son who eats very poorly. Give him bread and he will be happy. He must take after his Mom and her Mom, God help him. I see that ensure is made out of corn syrup and soy protein. My son is just over 2 now. Is there a recipe that I cam make that he will like myself?[/quote]

im not sure about this question, but i think dave tate has a westside for toddlers, check the archives…

all kidding aside, tampa terry’s advice, as usual, is excellent

Ensure sells something for kids, soy protein. So there are things out there that are mainstream. Yogurt, cottage cheese, or making these taste like a treat may be the only way to go. I have talked to doctors and they do not know shit. They don’t even reccomend a vitamin for your child. A pediatican, like the USDA is not the best place to go for information. Anybody here use the food pyramid? Information on child nutrition is poor. He does like some produce, and thank God for chicken nuggets, milk, and juice. He jsut runs hot and cold with his appetite and he needs to be more consistent. He is 2, sure, but he could pass for 3. :slight_smile: