protein day round

I heard that your body goes through a type of detoxification while you’re asleep. I was planning on getting up in the middle of the night for a protein shake as well as having some sort of meal (shake or otherwise) every three hours or so while I’m awake for weight gain. Is that such a bad thing?

The general consensus is that the disadvantages of interrupting the sleep cycle outweigh the potential advantages of having that protein shake. While you’re awake, though, of course; every 3 hours is kind of standard.

Don’t screw with your sleep. Getting a good nights sleep is important for recovery.

I always seem to have to get up in the middle of the night to pee (it’s like I’m an 80 year old man), so I just have a shake ready by the sink, I just have to add the water. If I don’t get up during the night, then I use it the next day, and I think that’s a pretty good way to go about it.

I shoulda included what Brent said on the piss break. I usually get up about twice an evening for a head-call so the protein would come at that time. But what about the detox part???

Whats this detox bullshit?

by detox I mean that your liver spends most of the day cleaning out toxins that your body takes in via meals. Once there is nothing to process (ie sleeping), it will finally have a chance to “clean house” so to speak. I wanted to know what everyone thought about this and the idea of taking a protein shake in the middle of the night.

Sounds like bullshit to me.

That “detox” stuff is mostly garbage. If you wake up naturally at night to pee, have a shake. I stick to low carb in this case, something like Grow!

I keep a bottle of aminos on the bathroom counter with a glass of water. I take a few tablets when I get up to pee. I know a shake would be better but I am usually half asleep, and it takes me a lot less effort to swallow a few pills than to mix up a shake.