Protein:Carb Ratio

As a general statement, I adhere to the AD lifestyle: high protein (1.5 my body weight per day), lower carb. If I eat complex carbs, I do it in the AM with my first or second meal, but after that, most of my carbs come from veggies, etc. When I make my oatmeal in the morning, I make a banana or vanilla cinnamon whey protein shake and use that instead of water to make it (the oatmeal). Although it sounds like I’m a die-hard … mostly it just makes oatmeal not taste like card board!

So, here’s my question: What is the ‘appropriate’ ratio of how much protein you should take in when eating carbs? What’s the right amount to ensure that you are doing your best to offset that nasty insulin from trying to make fat out of my meal? Is there a ratio for protein to carbs? I think that 26g of protein that the whey shake provides is probably enough to offset the 1/2 cup of plain rolled oats, but as a general statement, how much is enough when eating carbs?

I’m assuming you’re trying to use protein to slow the digestion of the carbs to avoid the insulin spike? If only it was that easy. I don’t believe there is an exact ratio that will make much of a difference. Maybe increasing the fiber content of your carbs might help, but the insulin spike will still be there.

If you truly are adhering to the AD lifestyle- you shouldn’t be eating any carbs really throughout your day. Especially from fruit and oatmeal. Sounds to me like you are trying to do some modified version of it, which is fine, but avoiding the insulin spike is not the only thing you need to be concerned about. The mere presence of the carbs in your system is going to prevent your body from using fat as fuel.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
I’m assuming you’re trying to use protein to slow the digestion of the carbs to avoid the insulin spike? If only it was that easy. I don’t believe there is an exact ratio that will make much of a difference. Maybe increasing the fiber content of your carbs might help, but the insulin spike will still be there.

If you truly are adhering to the AD lifestyle- you shouldn’t be eating any carbs really throughout your day. Especially from fruit and oatmeal. Sounds to me like you are trying to do some modified version of it, which is fine, but avoiding the insulin spike is not the only thing you need to be concerned about. The mere presence of the carbs in your system is going to prevent your body from using fat as fuel.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply and yes, just trying to slow down the digestion.