T Nation

Protein Bars

Anyone know one without soybean oil?

I really like the Greens+ natural flavored protein bars. I don't think they contain any soybean oil but there are some other soy ingredients. They contain 20g of whey protein isolate and all the benefits of Greens+ powder. A great combo!

I think I remember an article here that metioned those. I forgot about them. I'll check them out. Thanks 1more

They may not have soy oil, but as been recently pointed out Greens+ bars have a lot of other things I'd much rather avoid such as wheat grass, soy sprouts, alfalfa grass, royal jelly, bee pollen, and licorice root.

I'm not sure why the OP is concerned with soy oil because it doesn't contain a significant amount of isoflavones. Regardless,Metabolic Drive Bars do not contain soy oil.

I eat those too Mod..tho I still like the Greens+ when I haven't eaten as many veggies as I should have.

Soy oil is listed on the ingredient list of the last batch of Metabolic Drive bars I got from here. Could be you changed ingredients after these were made, doesn't matter now I have 4 boxes that won't go to waste.

Last trip I took around the grocery I noted that almost everything has soy oil in it now. I made an attempt to see if it was possible to cut it out completely, it doesn't look like it. T-Nation writer Mike Roussell even refers to it as the toilet water of oils in his Nutrition Quest artcle. http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1249295

I double checked and found that there's a fraction of a gram of soybean oil in the marshmellow pieces in the Rocky Road flavor and in the cookie pieces in the Cookie Dough flavor.

This is one of the things that you probably need to look at in context. Does he really want you going out of your way to avoid .1 gram of soybean oil, or is he suggesting that we avoid foods that are loaded with it?

Unfortunately, many of us take these things to the extreme where it can actually become counterproductive.

Like I said, they will definitely be eaten. I'm not trying to rag on Metabolic Drive bars. This was just a personal experiment. I didn't limit the stuff I looked at to protein bars. I wanted to see what the average single person was getting who didn't take time to look at panels compared to what you could get if you pay attention. I used to shop by just grabbing the cheapest thing on the shelf.

Protein bars are just the only thing I couldn't really compare at the store and I know there are plenty of brands I've never heard of, or would have thought to search for on the web. Unfortunately the ingrediant panels don't tell how many grams any of the ingredients are in the foods we buy just the nutrition facts.

So all it really showed me was if a person wants to be totally sure about whats going in their body, they need to learn how to cook from scratch.

Only way to be sure you are not getting any, ANY, soy is to make your own...

Better that way cuz you know for sure what's going down your mouth...

google it...

No Bake Protein Nutrition Bar Recipe

5 tablespoons natural peanut butter (chunky or smooth)I dig the chunky
1/2 cup dry oats or whole grain hot cereal (uncooked)
1/2 cup oat flour * (double the oats if you do not have oat flour)
6 scoops low-carb chocolate whey protein
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons flax seeds
1 cup non-fat dry milk
1/2 cup water (depending on what type of protein you use, you may need more

Mix all together and divide into equals parts and chill, then eat