T Nation

Protein Bars or Protein Shakes?

I'm curious what others thoughts on this are. I'm currently 290 Lbs and working on consuming 1g of protein per body weight to help with my goals.

I notice that the best protein bars I can find sit at 30g, and are generally not protein isolate and full of crap (for the most part).

Do you think it's better to just cut out the protein bars all together, and just do shakes to achieve the 290 g goal, or should I continue eating a bar or two a day while consuming several shakes as well?

I would say just do the shakes. So many bars hide sugar alcohols in their product that I'm not a big fan of 'em unless in a pinch.

1.You cant get 290g protein from food?
2.What about making your own protein bars?

First and foremost I would focus on consuming healthy and filling natural food. Whole foods tend to be more filling than protein shakes/bars and will help curb your hunger. Search through the sites for diet ideas and recipes.

As for the original question, I would stick mainly to protein powder. Protein powders are cheaper per gram of protein than bars and usually have higher quality proteins and less "filler crap."

Good luck!

I honestly don't think a bar or two a day is a horrible thing, especially if it stops you from eating a slice of pizza. Yes, most BBers eliminate the bars as a contest nears, but I imagine that's because real food is aways better anyway (won't get into the details now), and at 290 lbs, you're a good deal of time away from being 'contest-ready' -lol.

Seriously, if throwing a bar in your daily intake helps you reach your protein goals, and allows you to keep your eating cadence, then by all means. Most folks on here who will obsess over sugar alcohols, and the lower grade protein used are just parroting what advanced trainers/coaches say, and to be honest, their physiques are far from having to be concerned about those last few lbs to reach single digit bodyfat.

Bottom line is get your numbers each day. I know I started making good gains when I worked a desk job and would use 2 bars each day (between breakfast and lunch, and again between lunch and going home), and could actually make myself eat 6 times a day for the first time.

@SolidGround - Yeah, have to say I'm not too big of a fan of sugar alcohols either, but I think in moderation they should be alright? (I don't know much on them).

@Omca - If I had the financial capability to get it from food I would. The cost between doing it with supplements to real food is a big difference. Curious on how you would make your own protein bars though.

@jfc0533 - believe it or not, unless it has strong amount of protein, I don't get satisfaction anymore. Bars / Shakes are the quickest way for my body to feel that I have fed it.

@Stu - Thanks for the info. I'm doing three shakes a day right now, and two bars to try and hit the 290. I got close yesterday (279). Any bar recommendations if I were to continue with those?

Shake. Cheaper and healthier.

Having said that, I love the bars too. But if I was in YOUR situation, I wouldn't buy them.. Unless it's a bulk purchase, e.g. Metabolic Drive bars.

But even then, IMO the shakes are just more versatile and work out cheaper in the end.

Let me tell you a little story. I am an endo. To me i use to think the offseason was one big bachelor party. Wendy's twice a week? No problem! Well i was fat in the offseason. So i dropped the Wendy's. Started munching on a bar or two a day (at $4 a pop mind you).

Still was fat, hmmmm

Soon as i dropped the bars, started eating good clean offseason food (grits, white rice, baked potato, natty PB, steak, chicken, eggs, etc.) i looked WAY better

Those bars are TERRIBLE for you. 3g of sugar alcohol is like 1g of sugar. 30g sugar alcohol is 10g pure sugar. Not too mention they usually have like 22g fat and 30g protein per bar. Seriously, do yourself a favor, stay away from those things.

Which bars are you talking about?

Either make your own or try Metabolic Drive Bar.

I like making my own, but it's easier and worth it to me to add a couple boxes of Metabolic Drive Bars when I place an order.

I like my shakes because I think they taste better and i am more apt to sip on them then eat most of the bars...

That said, the bars from Biotest taste great. I have a box at home, and one at work with a few in my gym bag since they are easy....

Im assuming that you still have the majority of your calories and protein coming from real food here. The thing with the bars, is some people think the 'low carb' bars have no carbs. In actuality, they have lower SUGARS, but still have both carbs, and calories. I'm currently dieting, and on my low intake day, I don't have any bars, just a couple of shakes inbetween feedings.

On higher day, I'll throw in a 'low carb' bar, but of course I factor the TOTAL carbs into my daily numbers. If it helps, this is what I use currently...

Low Carb Metabolic Drive
Cytosport Whey (cookies n creme, and Choc Mint)
EAS Carb Control, Choc/Choc chip (tastes like a rice crispy treat -lol)

when not cutting, I'll use the Pure protein bars, or the Supreme bars. AGAIN, you would always be better off eating a chicken breast instead, but for convenience sake, they're not a truly terrible thing.

I actually have an awesome homemade bar i recipe i use. I have to try to find the recipe though. It's no bake.

It's basically:

Protein, Oats, little bit of dehydrated milk (works out to like 5g lactose per bar), Natty PB, and Flax seeds

I like it, but then again you may not. I'll try to find it

If you can, make the shake. If not, take the bar. Most bars are full of shit and are just a snicker's bar with a little bit of whey in it.

Biotest's protein bars are good and are much better for you than your average grocery store brand.

I personally make my own like Big Jay.

I think my macro per bar was like 25g protein, 16g carbs, 8g fat

It was like a nice little "snack". Basically, half of what my macros are in a "meal"

I would say about 40% - 60% of my protein / cals are coming from food right now, depending on my day. The rest from shakes, though I use 100% (no added, not concentrate) fruit juices in them, and add oatmeal to them (1/2 cup each shake).

Reading the back of these bars, seems like the EAS one at least has some benefits (the amounts of vitamins) versus others. I may just stick to shakes and have a bar occasionally.

Depending on the almighty budget, will depend if I focus more on the shakes or a mix it seems. Bars are convenient, but considering I sit at a desk for a good majority of the day, it wouldn't be too hard to pull out a shaker cup and go to town.

@Bigjay: If you find the full recipe, send it over and I'll give it a try.

Honestly man, i really think those protein bars are garbage. Even the macro's in the homemade ones could be better, although not bad.

Just get a bunch of shakers, keep one in your car with 2 scoops whey in it. Fill it up at a sink, water fountain, etc.

Here is what i use, you have to refridgerate them

5 tbsp natural peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
1 cup oats
6 scoops chocolate whey protein (approximately 132 grams worth of low-carb protein powder)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons flax seeds (optional)
1 cup non-fat dry milk
1/2 cup water (depending on what type of protein you use, you may need to add more)

Spray an 8x8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Combine dry ingredients in a medium size bowl and mix well. Add peanut butter and mix - the mixture will be crumbly and dry.Add water & vanilla.Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, everything until a dough forms.

The dough will be sticky. Spread dough into pan using a clean wooden spoon or spatula that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Refrigerate a few hours (or freeze for an hour) and cut into 9 squares. Wrap bars individually (use sandwich bags or plastic wrap) or store in covered container between sheets of wax paper. Keep refrigerated.

(Note i usually cut into 6 squares)

I'd cut out the fruit juice if I were you.

Yeah, dude, who the hell told you to make protein shakes out of fruit juice?! And then add more carbs from oatmeal to them? Not the best idea if you wanna cut down a bit. Keeping protein high is one thing, but if your calories are so high and you think the protein will allow you to drop weight,... it won't happen.

Why don't you post up what you've been doing so far and let us take a gander. Probably get some good suggestions on here.

X2. I assume you're probably trying to lose weight... No offense. Put up a sample dietary schedule, and let the gurus do their shit.