T Nation

Protein and Teenagers

The BBC are going with this story on the radio at the moment and I wanted to get people’s opinion on it, the radio report focuses more on how protein can be harmful and all this crap. Here’s the report on the site.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7576733.stm

Have a look and see what you think

[quote]gardengnome wrote:
The BBC are going with this story on the radio at the moment and I wanted to get people’s opinion on it, the radio report focuses more on how protein can be harmful and all this crap. Here’s the report on the site.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7576733.stm

Have a look and see what you think[/quote]

this sums up the whole story I think.

It seems like they are losing some of their innocence - boys should be boys running around the park with a football, not straining themselves pumping iron in the local gym.

so because its “not a boys place” that means its wrong.
what are the long term health problems brought on by protien shakes.
I agree that food comes first then shakes to supplement,but I think this is a bunch of hogwash

Yeah I know its total crap, they don’t even say what the “long term problems” are its the extreme of completely replacing meals with shakes and having a really unbalanced diet.

DurrrrHurrrrr

What an ignorant perspective. She believes that all young trainees work out in order to fit someone else’s ideals.

Sure, getting all your protein from shakes might be harmful but that’s kind of common sense. Eat meat.

Badly written, in my opinion.

First, a claim about “over-consumption” and “long-term health problems” without any further details or anything to back it up.

Then, not over-consumption seems to be the problem, but rather that people use supplements as a crutch to slack off regarding proper nutrition - something completely different.

After that, it’s boys “growing up too quickly”, as if older generations didn’t have to work for a living, perform hard manual labor or even fight as soldiers at a younger age than that mentioned in the article. In some countries, this still is reality.

Also, why can’t you lift and play some kind of sports, follow a normal path of development (mental or physical?) and get a decent education? And what teenager doesn’t care what he looks like? Is this really that different than it was years ago?

Then the quote of a guy not wanting to be “obese”.

Basically, I was not able to fathom what the author considered the actual health threat to be. I realize they were trying to touch as many aspects as possible, but none of them per se, i.e. supplementation, lifting weights, being ambitious with regard to your physique etc., seem to pose a problem if they are not pursued in a grossly exaggerated way. In that case, it’s obviously not the lifting or wanting to build muscle mass itself, there rather has to be some underlying problem of a different nature.

It is kind of shocking that more and more young men don’t want to look like Beckham, though…

about the growing up too fast part.

my grandfather worked in a matress factory at age 12.
was millitary age 15 lied about his age to go fight

I can promise you there is NO 12 year olds in the western world today that is working a job using cutters that can have you loose an arm.
or 15 year olds killing grown men for a living.

just becaue boys are not out playing with toy trucks and tossing a football around,or in englands case kicking a football, that dosent mean they are loosing their childhood

yeah instead they wanna look like a 40 year old man and wear speedos!

[quote]gardengnome wrote:
yeah instead they wanna look like a 40 year old man and wear speedos![/quote]

A banana hammock is still better than a sarong, though. Even the British Psychological Society would have to agree with that.

This just proves how ignorant the public, including dieticians, are.

“They will not provide you with the essential vitamins and minerals you get from fresh fruit, vegetables and STARCHY CARBS.”

As if protein isn’t as essential to life as starchy carbs.

I did laugh pretty hard when they referred to his friend as a fellow “gym bunny.”

the amount of earth-shattering stupidity coming from articles like these just make me throw my hands up and say “who the fuck cares anymore, i’m sick of trying to teach people otherwise”

ignore is bliss indeed

it’s a “worrying trend”, of course it is if you are the ones in power and don’t want your populace to be fit, strong, confident and critical of your actions

let me guess they would prefer those teenagers to chow down 10 loafs of bread a day because they need so much energy for sitting their ass in front of a TV/computer all fucking day

“But it is a trend which is worrying experts.”

lol…

These experts can’t really be experts if they come out with this shit. I agree though ignorance is bliss for some people and they are not worth trying to teach about it.

The author is probably fat and out of shape and was fat and out of shape as a teenager too.

[quote]Alquemist wrote:
The author is probably fat and out of shape and was fat and out of shape as a teenager too.[/quote]

I actually looked her up, assuming the same thing. She’s not fat, but is obviously out of touch with what trends should “worry experts”

This just in from Siobhan Courtney:

“I’m a dumb bitch.”

This is just so stupid. Why isn’t the beeb focusing on the thousands of juvenile delinquents running around the south of England gorging themselves on fish & cheaps and cheap beer?

i agree with supabeast completely theres way bigger problems in this country then teenagers going to a gym, shock horror! god forbid people in this country should be in shape!

I think we should write into them and ask them to prove their point and not eat protein ever again, when they die there will be no more bs articles like this.

Its a stupid article - but people can be idiots with protein supps.

Kid I knew drank 4 or 5 shakes a day (like 200g of protein) and didn’t get any from whole food sources. Obviously this is a retarded nutrition decision as you should try and get your protein from whole food sources that provide you with other important nutrients. He had ridiculously wicked gas though, no one could really be around him as he had protein-farted every time he took a step.

It’s stupid though, how is this a “loss of innocence”? Do we say that people who do hours and hours of homework “lose their innocence”? Once again theres this whole backlash (partially fueld by jealousy) against people who work out.

It’s great for younger people to get into the gym - they get to know what it feels like to achieve something and they get to know their way around the gym at an early age. IMO just being afraid of the gym because they don’t know what to do is a large reason a lot of people don’t go. They don’t learn at a young age then feel like an idiot when they want to go later on in life.

If I had just gotten more comfortable with working out earlier in my life, I know I would never gotten as fat as I did at one point - I know that even If I totally quit on my goals now, I would be OK since i’d have the gym as a resource if I needed to burn off some fat. Before I didn’t really have that.

Thats a really good point, people need to know from an early age how to use a gym properly, and its good to see younger people using gyms.

I work in a gym and I did a screening with a lady yesterday who was in her 50’s she had never been in a gym before and didnt know how to use any of the kit, I had to stop her from falling off the treadmill! I mean I had to actually catch her. But my point is that if people are in gyms at a younger age they are gonna grow up with the right mindset and want to stay healthy. Which means that this article is complete rhubarb.