Protein and Carbs?

So now I have your attension, a freind of mine was telling me that a former nutritionist he had told him not to eat protein and carbs together because your stomache does not contain enough enzymes to break down both the proteins and the carbs at once, leaving the food undigested and whatever.

Now, he is not a lifter, but I found this odd. I know nutritionists know nothing, and my instincts tell me this is bull shit, however, I was wondering if there is any truth to this?

If anyone has any info let me know.

Thanks

[quote]bdadam01 wrote:
So now I have your attension, a freind of mine was telling me that a former nutritionist he had told him not to eat protein and carbs together because your stomache does not contain enough enzymes to break down both the proteins and the carbs at once, leaving the food undigested and whatever.

Now, he is not a lifter, but I found this odd. I know nutritionists know nothing, and my instincts tell me this is bull shit, however, I was wondering if there is any truth to this?

If anyone has any info let me know.

Thanks[/quote]

The nutritionist was an asshole. Our stomach’s don’t contain enzymes for CHO digestion and is where mostly all of the protein digestion takes place. CHO get mixed into the chyme in the stomach and get digested in the Small Intestine. We, as humans have been designed to digest a mixture of food all at once. We wouldn’t have survived as a species otherwise.

swing and a miss!

if you can’t break down a meal with P+C then how many foods are “bad” for your stomach? lol

Yeah, I’m sure the human body evolved in such a manner that makes eating such a tough chore.

Not to mention that there are two completely different sets of enzymes which break down CHO’s and proteins.

In all fairness, the reason you would take a supplement (ex. HCL) to aid absorption of nutrients is if your body couldn’t break down the food on its own. Shugart has popularized this with his articles, but I personally think it is a rare occurrence.

Haha yeah thats exactly what I was thinking. Just making sure im not misinformed.

The addition of HCL actually does help quite a bit depending on your diet. I am on a cutting diet, eating a lot of veggies with protein, so I got bloated from my body not being able to digest the veggies enough. Started taking betaine HCL before a meal like this and it helped a ton! Cuts down on the bloating and actually made my stomache feel better.

[quote]elusive wrote:
The nutritionist was an asshole. Our stomach’s don’t contain enzymes for CHO digestion and is where mostly all of the protein digestion takes place. CHO get mixed into the chyme in the stomach and get digested in the Small Intestine. We, as humans have been designed to digest a mixture of food all at once. We wouldn’t have survived as a species otherwise.[/quote]

That’s my understanding as well. He may have been confusing the concept that eating some carbs and fats together could interact in a negative way over the long run, i.e. a new york strip steak + corn bread every night for dinner as an example.

ANYONE can call themselves a nutritionist; so watch which ones you listen to.