Protein And Body Weight

I’ve heard various recommendations with regards to protein needs for those trying to build muscle. However, I generally hear them suggested in terms of grams per pound or kilogram of body weight. Does this refer to LEAN body weight, or weight in general? Say I decided to follow the advice for getting 1 gram per pound of body weight.

If I had the exact same frame with 40 more pounds of pure fat, should that hypothetical-me increase protein consumption by 40 grams?

[quote]floridagirl wrote:
I’ve heard various recommendations with regards to protein needs for those trying to build muscle. However, I generally hear them suggested in terms of grams per pound or kilogram of body weight. Does this refer to LEAN body weight, or weight in general? Say I decided to follow the advice for getting 1 gram per pound of body weight.

If I had the exact same frame with 40 more pounds of pure fat, should that hypothetical-me increase protein consumption by 40 grams?[/quote]

This is where the distinction between obesity and relatively lean body composition comes into play. Someone who isn’t obese can generally simply worry about body WEIGHT when coming up with any general estimates (which is all these numbers are).

Nearing obesity would cause most trainers to use lean body mass AND goal body weight to come up with any estimates.

Thanks :slight_smile: What about folks who are in-between? For example, I’m 5’4", 135lbs, 17.7% BF.

Thanks :slight_smile: What about folks who are in-between? For example, I’m 5’4", 135lbs, 17.7% BF.[/quote]

These are ESTIMATES. They need to be adjusted no matter what based on the results you are actually getting. No one should be simply eating a certain amount of food or ingesting a certain amount of proteins, carbs or fats simply because of a calculator.

definately reiterate what the prof said, but would also like to add that you should develop a range of intake based on activity levels. one could do this simply by adding or subracting calories from their maintenance intake.

for protein, generally 1-2g/lb LBM, for you this is 125-250g. the low end would be for maintenance, extreme fat loss (short periods, protein only low because total calories low and not wanting to exceed 40% of intake). the high end is if you are training 2 hours a day and accompanied by higher carb and fat intake usually. for most people, the range between 1-1.5g/lb LBM is about right.

Thanks :slight_smile: What about folks who are in-between? For example, I’m 5’4", 135lbs, 17.7% BF.[/quote]

A female with 17% BF is not “in-between.”